UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Mayhem Miller's (7) Man Laws

5/13/12 10:56 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

1. A man needs to learn something new every day.

2. Men don't smash their fellow man.

The twins of a deranged serial murderer grew up. One got heavy into drinking, drugs and basically being a social miscreant, culminating in finally murdering a guy over some petty reason. The other twin made his way through school, earning a degree, and running a small business that flourished. Two guys. The same genetic make up. They asked both, one from his office desk, the other through the glass of a prison visiting room, “Why do you think you turned out the way you did?”

They both responded with basically the same answer,

“Look at my father, what else was I supposed to do?”

3. It’s every man for himself.

4. A man takes chances.

5. A man is persistent.

6. A man is honest with himself.

7. A man figures it out himself.

I learned a huge life lesson when meeting one of my heroes, Chuck Palahniuk. As someone who loves to read and write and fight, I was anxious to meet the author of one of the Gospels of Man: Fight Club.

want to write badass books too after I'm done risking my brain in the cage, so after the lecture I hopped in line to ask Chuck a question.

When I finally arrived, I came face to face with a short, tan, smart-looking man in a pink shirt. His demeanor was focused and he had an air of flamboyant awesomeness that probably comes when you write books that Hollywood makes into movies.

I introduced myself, and poured my heart out on how his book sent my life in a crazy right turn, inspiring me to channel my youthful aggression into fighting. After that, I stammered through some specific questions I wanted answered, and first he gave half-ass answers that said "I'm tired, beat it." Then he deflected them, and focused on the fact I was a fighter. He gave me the advice, "Be careful, don't get a detached retina."

Yeah, thanks a lot for the tip pal. I didn't come here to receive an ophthalmological exam.

Dejected, I walked back out to the busy L.A. street and yelled "CHUCK PALAHNIUK DIDN'T TEACH ME S---!!!!!"

On the way back to the car, I was thinking more and more about the meeting, then I realized something. Without words, Chuck was saying something much larger. He was saying, “Figure it out your f---ing self. I didn’t work my ass off to be an awesome writer just to give out the knowledge for free to some mouth-breather with cauliflower ear!”

I got it, Chuck.

If you can’t learn from an experience, it’s because you haven’t thought about it hard enough. I thought about this one and figured out that it’s up to you to have the courage to risk your ass trying to make your dreams come true. If you quit shy of your goals, you’re the only one that has to live with it.

Read entire article...

5/14/12 12:29 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jaytrainwreck
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mayhem's blog posts are a collage of knowledge, entertainment, and zaniness. I am thoroughly enamored with each post. Phone Post
5/14/12 12:37 AM
Porkchop
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

good read.
5/14/12 12:46 AM
MayheM

It's better on Maxim.com. The edit here is aiight... Thanks for posting/reading. Phone Post
5/14/12 12:57 AM
FieryErmine

Nice.
5/14/12 1:11 AM
pharochuck
284 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts LLC, Moderator
 interesting
5/14/12 1:12 AM
SeanReed
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree wholeheartedly on most points.

5 applies to nearly everything (school, career, training etc) except women. You get one chance per woman per lifetime. She looses interest, or never had any to begin with, move onto the next one. This is from a guy who has been shot down many times, but now is married to a hottie 15 years his junior.

7. As I close in on the age of 50, have have come to realize that it is sometimes OK to ask for help. Give it 100%, but sometimes its OK to seek advice.
5/14/12 1:20 AM
garrote
381 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yo Mayhem, I heard you went out with my friend Megan a few nights ago. What happened man? Phone Post
5/14/12 1:32 AM
da Vinci 81
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good read. Phone Post
5/14/12 2:27 AM
Atiba
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Subbed Phone Post
5/14/12 3:50 AM
KrzyBnzJnz
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mayhem, did you fuck the karate hottie?

Red Dragons! Phone Post
5/14/12 4:35 AM
ender852
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

good read on the maxim site, but wtf is up with like 5 shitty pop up ads?
don't think i'm going to go back to that site anytime soon.
5/14/12 5:11 AM
Salokcin69
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jaytrainwreck - Mayhem's blog posts are a collage of knowledge, entertainment, and zaniness. I am thoroughly enamored with each post. Phone Post
This. Phone Post
5/14/12 10:09 AM
Kirik
1730 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground, Mayor for Life
MayheM -  It's better on Maxim.com. The edit here is aiight... Thanks for posting/reading. Phone Post

Waaaay better
http://www.maxim.com/upkeep/mayhem-s-7-man-laws
5/14/12 10:24 AM
Kaerki
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is #2 about fighting or sex? Phone Post
5/14/12 10:36 AM
paw
1414 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

for laters
5/14/12 10:49 AM
Hong Kong Phooey
925 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mayhem is a prophet
5/14/12 3:35 PM
Addo
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mayhem's cool, Chuck Palahniuk sucks though.
5/14/12 3:42 PM
Kaerki
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kaerki - Is #2 about fighting or sex? Phone Post
?? Phone Post
5/14/12 5:44 PM
SoupCan
478 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Where can i find Mayhems blog? Phone Post
5/14/12 6:04 PM
T-Ham
288 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Later Phone Post
5/15/12 12:20 PM
MayheM

www.mayhemmiller.com

Thanks for linking Kirik Phone Post
5/15/12 1:50 PM
Diesel67

If men don't smash their fellow men, what are you doing fighting?
5/15/12 2:08 PM
jasonhightower
199 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great article... shared with my 13 year old son today.
5/15/12 2:13 PM
ChangoBravo
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool.

Chango

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.