UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> TUF 9 winner James Wilks retires

5/14/12 10:36 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kneeblock
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I remember watching this guy on TUF and thinking he had a pretty significant upside. He took apart season favorite Demarques Johnson pretty handily in the finale, but had mixed success thereafter.

Now he's retiring due to an irrecoverable injury.

http://www.espn.co.uk/ufc/sport/story/150788.html

UKTT bid farewell to one of your promising warriors.  Good luck to him.

5/14/12 10:40 AM
UFCUKSTYLE
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A very well talented and rounded fighter that had a lot of potential! Sad to see this.
Hong Kong Phooey
1132 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

awww fuck. I knew he was injured , i thought he would recover.
lightningmma rip.
Uncle Muay Thai
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah always sad when an injury forces your hand rather than retirement being your own choice. He had a gym in California though so at least he will still be involved in mma. Good luck James. Phone Post
5/14/12 10:43 AM
Hong Kong Phooey
1132 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TUF 9 winner James Wilks has announced his retirement from the sport.

The English welterweight, who earned a contract with the UFC after beating DaMarques Johnson in the final of 'The Ultimate Fighter: UK vs. USA', has been forced to end his career due to injury. He has not fought for 18 months.

"A few of you have been asking when my next fight is," Wilks said on Twitter. "Unfortunately, I have had to retire due to injury. Now coaching at Lightning MMA."

Wilks retires with a record of seven wins and four losses in MMA, including one win and two defeats in the UFC. His most recent fight saw him lose to Claude Patrick at UFC 120 in October 2010.

He will now concentrate on working as a coach with Lightning MMA, the California-based gym.

5/14/12 10:44 AM
Hong Kong Phooey

Joker teaches at lightning now also
5/14/12 10:46 AM
Hong Kong Phooey

Dude is insane about his diet. I would see him at Mothers buying insane nutrients

http://www.plantathlete.com/

Heres his blogs ^
5/14/12 10:47 AM
Hong Kong Phooey

He also cant remember anything 3 minutes after you tell him something so maybe this is a blessing and he knows it !
5/14/12 10:51 AM
ClinchedUp

Mix6APlix - Whats the injury? Phone Post
? Phone Post
5/14/12 10:57 AM
Hong Kong Phooey

ClinchedUp - 
Mix6APlix - Whats the injury? Phone Post
? Phone Post

dont hold me to it , i think its his knee block :)
5/14/12 11:02 AM
Frobenius

well thats fucking shit
5/14/12 11:30 AM
Hong Kong Phooey

Joshuo J Kingo_MJTT - 
Hong Kong Phooey -  He also cant remember anything 3 minutes after you tell him something so maybe this is a blessing and he knows it !
Very sad if true.

All the best mate! Phone Post
very true and he admits it

5/14/12 11:55 AM
BiffyClyro
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Always remember Damarques telling Frank on TUF that he would pay him so much to knock out James's teeth and then Wilks knocking his teeth out Phone Post
5/14/12 11:55 AM
3rdLion
235 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope he has all the success with his gym, shame to see him forced into retirement.
5/14/12 12:06 PM
mixedmartialfarts
792 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Horrible news to hear, and also horrible reporting.  Who writes a story about a career-ending injury and then fails to even identify the injury?

I wish nothing but the best for Wilks in his future endeavors... sucks that he's not able to leave the sport on his own terms.
5/14/12 12:15 PM
Hong Kong Phooey

http://www.jameslightningwilks.com/

On Jim Rome
5/14/12 12:16 PM
Hired Gun
644 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This guy has to retire from injury and Bisping is still around, you talk about an unfair world
5/14/12 12:27 PM
Outlaw'd by Lytle

Feel bad for the guy. Phone Post
5/14/12 12:30 PM
ocdacc
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damarques is my fav active fighter - Much respect to Wilks and I wish him the best is luck. Phone Post
5/14/12 1:08 PM
UGCTT_thebroonies
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

" Always remember Damarques telling Frank on TUF that he would pay him so much to knock out James's teeth and then Wilks knocking his teeth out "

lol, quality!

Why the fuck wont it let me quote :\
5/14/12 1:16 PM
Tru
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAPrime.TV
 they had been keeping this a secret for a few months now.  I heard aboutthis 6 weeks ago, but was asked not to report it or speak about it.

did they lsit his injury?  weird situation.
5/14/12 1:20 PM
Synado
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He seemed like a cool guy from the show. Sad to see him retire. I wish him the best in his future.
5/14/12 1:56 PM
Hong Kong Phooey

hes a great dude. UFC had him on the back burner for so long, thay had to make a decision
5/14/12 2:17 PM
GrapplerX
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

James is really cool people, I trained with him a lot, I remember how he got me into training standup, he said why do you want to go to the ground with someone on the street when you can kick their ass standing up.

Great guy, I wish him and his family the best, he runs a good gym in South OC with some good people there to train with. Phone Post
5/15/12 3:01 PM
MasterofMartialArts
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What's ridiculous for me is when he says something like, "I have a wife and kids, maybe if i were single i would continue competing." Really? Even if you were at a severely high risk of being paralyzed you would compete, just because you have no wife or kids? Who wants to be paralyzed?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.