UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Let me know what you think

5/16/12 10:15 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
camozzi
779 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In the last few years the Ultimate Fighting Championship has blown up bigger than we ever imagined and its only getting bigger. We often hear the words "the fastest growing sport in the world" when talking about MMA but at what point does it become the biggest sport in the world?

When the average American thinks of sports, they first think of Baseball, Basketball, Football or Soccer (American). These would be considered to most, mainstream sports. The UFC just signed an exclusive deal with FOX yet we're still not noticed by your average sports fans. Whats separates these "mainstream" sports from MMA?

If you turn on the TV you see commercials for Pepsi, Hanes, Gillette, Old Spice, Nissan and dozens of other major companies featuring athletes from the "mainstream" sports. I think that's what we are missing. Once MMA fighters, like myself, can start drawing in companies like Walmart, HomeDepot, IKEA, Honda, Chevy, Tide, the list goes on, we will be seen as one of the main sports worldwide. These companies bring tons of money to the table as well as exposure to every household with a TV. I would love to see an MMA fighter on a Wheaties Box.

What I’m getting at is, sponsorships/endorsements do a lot more for this sport than the average fan realizes. MMA is slowly breaking into the companies like BudLight, Miller, XBOX (Microsoft) and that’s why I send my business towards those companies. They don’t sponsor me directly but they are getting into the sport and could possibly choose to back me one day. My management, Ingrained Media, is constantly teaching me to build Chris Camozzi as a brand, not just a fighter that gets in the ring every few months and fights and you don’t see me again until the next fight.

When a company chooses to work with me you get so much more than logo placement on my shorts and banner. When we turn on the TV and see a fighters banner do we go "Oh man look at Good4UDrinks on his banner, I’m going to go order some now!". No we don't. I’m pretty sure I never noticed sponsors on shorts until I started trying to find my own. Do average fans really pay attention? Most likely not. Sponsors like Good4UDrinks get more out of me plugging them constantly on Twitter, Facebook, ChrisCamozziMMA.com, Interviews, radio shows and word of mouth than they ever would from a logo on my shorts/banner.

I feel as though this is what separates me from most fighters. There isn’t a day that goes by that I’m not plugging sponsors online, posting pictures, making videos with their products or sharing my opinions about them. I put a lot of work into supporting the people that help me on a day to day basis. Its nice to be able to build some financial security with sponsors on a monthly or per fight basis. Having that stability really helps me put my mind at ease and train 100% all day long.

5/16/12 10:15 PM
camozzi
779 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wrote this blog to share with you the way I view business. My next fight is UFC on FX4 June 22nd in Atlantic City. I have a great management team, Ingrained Media, that has really taken the time to mold me into a better professional athlete in and out of the cage. As I said above, there is more to fighting than fighting, at least for me. We are signing new companies that are looking to build a brand with me and become part of Team Camozzi. If you want to sponsor the Champions in the division that may or may not ever mention your product or thank you, go ahead, but if you choose me you get more bang for your buck in the long run.

As always, thank you to those that have supported me for a long time, Ingrained Media, Factory X, Jamey Jasta, Head Rush Brand, Swole Sports, Good4UDrinks, BluCore Shooting Center and Performance MMA.

5/16/12 10:16 PM
camozzi

This is a blog I wrote for ChrisCamozziMMA.com, let me know what you think.
5/16/12 10:25 PM
KevinMcAllister
241 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What of these Good4u drinks?

How good are they?

Do they come in cranberry? Perhaps guava?

Are they like a shake or watery like gatorade?

But if they come in cranberry, everything else is secondary. Phone Post
5/16/12 10:29 PM
P4PBOSS
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KevinMcAllister - What of these Good4u drinks?

How good are they?

This! Phone Post
5/16/12 10:34 PM
MartialArtsMixed
132 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good luck Chris! I've been following your fights since your bout with Dongi. Yes, I do notice the sponsors but this might be because i've been watching mma for so long. I notice everything.
5/16/12 10:42 PM
Humboldt
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Its coming around Chris. GSP is repping UA and Gatorade? Phone Post
5/16/12 10:49 PM
SMS89
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT

Big corporate sponsorships are very rare but they will come.

GSPs face is plastered all over the place here in Toronto for his Under Armor and Gatorade sponsorships. Phone Post
5/16/12 10:50 PM
KidJustice
207 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT
5/16/12 10:52 PM
flawlessvictory
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT Phone Post
5/16/12 10:59 PM
BrunoMcGyver
282 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MartialArtsMixed - Good luck Chris! I've been following your fights since your bout with Dongi.

Same here. Although I think the Dongi fight was a bad decision.
5/16/12 11:00 PM
BrunoMcGyver
282 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/16/12 11:01 PM
Oops, this is camozzi's thread.

Actually, the decision in that fight was a bloody great decision.
5/17/12 12:19 AM
Calavaro
280 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I view sponsorships to be valuable when the fighter who represents the brand actually uses the product and can show how it's being used (and not just plastering logos on shorts).

"Ingrained Media, Factory X, Jamey Jasta, Head Rush Brand, Swole Sports, Good4UDrinks, BluCore Shooting Center and Performance MMA"

Which brands products do you actually use regularly (and how) and how would you - honestly - rate their different stuff?
What are the drawbacks? We all know their stuff are "great", but we'd like to know more. Honest information sells, not glitz nor promos.

I don't drink Pepsi because the latest flavor of the week pop star tells me to. I drink Pepsi because... oh wait, I don't drink it.

5/17/12 1:02 AM
camozzi

KevinMcAllister -  What of these Good4u drinks?

How good are they?

They are athletic supplement drinks. They make one in green tea, field berry, a pre and post workout. Taste great and full of vitamins. They dont have creatine or any harmful supplements in them. http://www.gd4u.com

5/17/12 1:03 AM
camozzi

Humboldt -  Its coming around Chris. GSP is repping UA and Gatorade? Phone Post
yes its great! thats what I meant by we are starting to break into them. Its great for the sport

5/17/12 1:26 AM
camozzi

Calavaro - I view sponsorships to be valuable when the fighter who represents the brand actually uses the product and can show how it's being used (and not just plastering logos on shorts).

"Ingrained Media, Factory X, Jamey Jasta, Head Rush Brand, Swole Sports, Good4UDrinks, BluCore Shooting Center and Performance MMA"

Which brands products do you actually use regularly (and how) and how would you - honestly - rate their different stuff?
What are the drawbacks? We all know their stuff are "great", but we'd like to know more. Honest information sells, not glitz nor promos.

I don't drink Pepsi because the latest flavor of the week pop star tells me to. I drink Pepsi because... oh wait, I don't drink it.

Ingrained Media: my management team and mentors. They guide me along in my career which includes handling interviews all the way to managing my finances in everyday life. They dont just find me fights and sponsors.

Jamey Jasta: Lead singer of Hatebreed, he is a huge fan of MMA and an all around great guy to deal with. He helps promote me on social media and financially and I use his songs for walkout music and sometimes logo placement. The only draw back I see is, everyone isnt in to that kind of metal but I am so its a great deal.

Good4UDrinks: I explained what they are above. Their healthy for me and great to drink during camp. Its a good way for me to get more vitamins in and other essentials such as glutamine and more. They have been a long time supporter of mine and our deal is not monetary so I think that helps prove that I really do like them. The drawback, They arent sold in stores in the US yet. The orders are shipped from Canada and the weight of the drinks can cost a little extra. The upside is they are coming out with individual packets in powder form.

BluCore Shooting: Its a gun range and retail store a mile from my house. Its close and the best part is its owned and operated by former Navy Seals. You can take private shooting classes or jump in AR Fundamentals, AR Tactical, Low Light, Concealed Carry, Basic Pistol, Tactical Pistol and a few other classes. Ive never been to a range like it. No downside that I can think of with them. The UFC doesnt allow gun sponsors anymore but thats not part of our deal. I pomote them locally and bring in groups of people to buy guns, shoot and take classes. Win/Win for both of us.

Head Rush Brand: We have all seen Head Rush on tons of fighters. Fun company to work with and they hook me up with great gear. I like their designs and they can be worn out to more than just fights. They also setup after parties with me after fights. Tons of my friends have bought their stuff because they like the look. Downside: they dont have a signature shirt for me yet! and their sizes run just a little small.

Swole Sports: They make Pre Workout, Whey Protein, BCAA, Turbo Shred. Their supplements are low calorie and sugar. I feel the effects of them daily. Several of my teammates have begun taking their products as well. They promote me and hire me to do appearances. Social media is a key tool for us. Great company and I enjoy working with them. Downside: they dont pay the UFC tax and I wish they made a few more products.

Performance MMA: One of my first ever sponsors. Owned by two of the best people I have ever met. Troy and Kelly Barron owns the online reseller. Troy wrestled in college and Kelly has fought several times. They are a huge online reseller and they recently opened up the first store front in Colorado. They honor all deals online, you can ship back what you dont like and they replace it, if you order early enough it will ship sameday, you can call and talk directly to the owner, they offer training videos online and take requests. They sponsor tons of local guys to give back and they offer affiliate stores for websites. I cant think of one downside honestly and if you ask around a lot I doubt you would find one either.

5/17/12 1:27 AM
camozzi

hope that covers it. Let me know if I left anything out that you wanted to know. 
5/17/12 2:00 AM
Jason Reinhardt
208 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/17/12 2:00 AM
Great post! Keep it up Chris. Very smart. So many of us wake up oneday broke off our ass years later because we didn't have a back up plan or think of doing the things you speak about. Or better yet, educated like your great management team you speak about. Keep doing this, to secure your financial future. I hate seeing fighters broke, down and out. Always have a back up plan. I'm not telling you anything you don't know. Nothing but the best bro.
5/17/12 2:16 AM
Calavaro
280 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

camozzi - 
Calavaro - I view sponsorships to be valuable when the fighter who represents the brand actually uses the product and can show how it's being used (and not just plastering logos on shorts).

Ingrained Media: my management team and mentors. They guide me along in my career which includes handling interviews all the way to managing my finances in everyday life. They dont just find me fights and sponsors.

Jamey Jasta: Lead singer of Hatebreed, he is a huge fan of MMA and an all around great guy to deal with. He helps promote me on social media and financially and I use his songs for walkout music and sometimes logo placement. The only draw back I see is, everyone isnt in to that kind of metal but I am so its a great deal.

Good4UDrinks: I explained what they are above. Their healthy for me and great to drink during camp. Its a good way for me to get more vitamins in and other essentials such as glutamine and more. They have been a long time supporter of mine and our deal is not monetary so I think that helps prove that I really do like them. The drawback, They arent sold in stores in the US yet. The orders are shipped from Canada and the weight of the drinks can cost a little extra. The upside is they are coming out with individual packets in powder form.

BluCore Shooting: Its a gun range and retail store a mile from my house. Its close and the best part is its owned and operated by former Navy Seals. You can take private shooting classes or jump in AR Fundamentals, AR Tactical, Low Light, Concealed Carry, Basic Pistol, Tactical Pistol and a few other classes. Ive never been to a range like it. No downside that I can think of with them. The UFC doesnt allow gun sponsors anymore but thats not part of our deal. I pomote them locally and bring in groups of people to buy guns, shoot and take classes. Win/Win for both of us.

Head Rush Brand: We have all seen Head Rush on tons of fighters. Fun company to work with and they hook me up with great gear. I like their designs and they can be worn out to more than just fights. They also setup after parties with me after fights. Tons of my friends have bought their stuff because they like the look. Downside: they dont have a signature shirt for me yet! and their sizes run just a little small.

Swole Sports: They make Pre Workout, Whey Protein, BCAA, Turbo Shred. Their supplements are low calorie and sugar. I feel the effects of them daily. Several of my teammates have begun taking their products as well. They promote me and hire me to do appearances. Social media is a key tool for us. Great company and I enjoy working with them. Downside: they dont pay the UFC tax and I wish they made a few more products.

Performance MMA: One of my first ever sponsors. Owned by two of the best people I have ever met. Troy and Kelly Barron owns the online reseller. Troy wrestled in college and Kelly has fought several times. They are a huge online reseller and they recently opened up the first store front in Colorado. They honor all deals online, you can ship back what you dont like and they replace it, if you order early enough it will ship sameday, you can call and talk directly to the owner, they offer training videos online and take requests. They sponsor tons of local guys to give back and they offer affiliate stores for websites. I cant think of one downside honestly and if you ask around a lot I doubt you would find one either.

and there it is... lots of info from a pro athlete in a digestible format. Thank you.

For example, I may never go to BluCore Shooting, but if anyone asks me for suggestions it will be one of the places I will recall and directly suggest.
5/17/12 2:52 AM
KevinMcAllister
241 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

camozzi -
KevinMcAllister -  What of these Good4u drinks?

How good are they?

They are athletic supplement drinks. They make one in green tea, field berry, a pre and post workout. Taste great and full of vitamins. They dont have creatine or any harmful supplements in them. http://www.gd4u.com

Field berry you say?

Delivered from Canada you say?

As a Canadian berry fan, I am intrigued. Phone Post
5/17/12 9:10 AM
StratTone
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You did a good job there of marketing yourself.

I personally don't care for big sponsors being in control of sports but realize it is coming no matter what. Back in the day where the UFC has the "I don't need you, you need me attitude" was the great days. Don't get me wrong they for sure changed the game for how things are done in the sports business but I really had high hopes it wouldn't ever get to commercialized.

Good luck with your sponsors.

I just find it insulting to be force fed products and have companies having control over fighters image.
5/17/12 9:31 AM
FearTheClown
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

who you fighting on June 22nd?
5/17/12 11:57 AM
camozzi

StratTone - You did a good job there of marketing yourself.

I personally don't care for big sponsors being in control of sports but realize it is coming no matter what. Back in the day where the UFC has the "I don't need you, you need me attitude" was the great days. Don't get me wrong they for sure changed the game for how things are done in the sports business but I really had high hopes it wouldn't ever get to commercialized.

Good luck with your sponsors.

I just find it insulting to be force fed products and have companies having control over fighters image.
I see your point but those sponsors help bring the money into the sport that ables the UFC to run so many shows a year. Thank you for reading the blog and I appreciate the feedback. 

5/17/12 11:57 AM
camozzi

FearTheClown - who you fighting on June 22nd?
Nick Catone

5/17/12 11:59 AM
Cyril Jeff
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

twitter = @theCyrildotcom

ttt for the man!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.