UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Only Sambo school in my area...

5/19/12 4:18 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
meatrokket
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And would like to know if these guys are legit. 

http://gcasambo.com/Home_L6OF.html

They are wearing black belts. I thought Sambists only wore red or blue?

Also, in some of their instructors Youtube vids, I see some purple belts in there.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq2yvuNTnvo&feature=plcp

I tried googling their GM Vladimir Butokov and nothing.  Also tried searching for anything to corroborate GM Alan New's claims and came up with nothing. 

Help me out guys!
5/20/12 9:12 PM
Dim Sum Punch
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds fishy but who knows, ranking in Sambo is based off competition merits as well as skill. And yes you are either Red or Blue and you compete based on your ranking. Maybe he wears his BB from Kajukenbo with his kurtka.
5/21/12 1:25 AM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would not go there, not after doing some research. but that is me. These might be good guys, they might really know a few things and be nice people to hang around. But, I personally find the claims and bio and this and that to be outside of the realm that I am comfortable in endorsing.

The best sambo people in the world are also usually well versed in judo. if I am right in assuming that you live in HI, i would tell you to just find a good Judo club. HI has amazing judo overall.
5/21/12 4:50 AM
meatrokket
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the responses brahs Phone Post
5/24/12 3:45 AM
alz
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kai is a good guy. he is well versed in alot of different martial arts. well ranked too. his lineage goes back to the old school.was also a purple with a gracie school. i know first hand.
5/24/12 8:04 PM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the claims in the bio are fishy.... there is disputing this. and, being anything at all in BJJ means nothing in terms of sambo-- just ask the Gracie clan about that.
5/24/12 10:58 PM
alz

JoshuaResnick - the claims in the bio are fishy.... there is disputing this. and, being anything at all in BJJ means nothing in terms of sambo-- just ask the Gracie clan about that.

claims in bio pertains to only alan new. i dont know him. i was speaking about kai li. only way to find out is check it out yourself. this guy is cool and would gladly allow you to sit in.
5/24/12 11:21 PM
meatrokket

Cool. Thanks. Phone Post
5/26/12 5:22 PM
judom
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the advice is simple: stop looking for exotic stuff and do the proper thing: start Judo :)
5/30/12 3:00 AM
JoshuaResnick

i fail to understand something... in a place like Hawaii... where you have Olympic and World medal winners in Judo-- like Kevin Asano, and an overall extremely high level of Judo... why in the world would you even consider something as questionable as this sambo guy's club/house/whatever....

when you cannot verify the claims that somebody is making, when the statements are such that you cannot actually looks something up that does not come straight from that person who you are researching... then dont trust it.

USA Judo is verifiable. It is something you can confirm. It isnt somebody's story about their supposed experiences in the military or here or there... the proof is easy to find, confirm and know without question.
5/30/12 10:39 AM
Outkaster
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Josh that’s just it. My instructor was talking a lot about how some of these guys get a questionable black belt rank and then start selling people a pile of shit. Thing is a lot of people sign up for these classes. It seems like the longer I’m in the Martial Arts I realize the smaller the club is the better the students are.
5/30/12 5:53 PM
judom
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

no, people are just always looking for exotic techniques trying to save hard work (BJJ, Sambo, Russian Judo anyone...etc), alternative to the mainstream Olympic Judo.

I've trained Judo for 15+ years and there is not a single training where I didn't learn something new. Really, people should stop looking for exotic stuff, find a good Judo club and train hard. Thats about it.
5/30/12 8:46 PM
meatrokket

Thanks Joshua. I sort of already knew the answer but just wanted to see what the Judoka/Sambists on this forum thought.

As a BJJ guy, the ground techs and takedowns Look awful IMO. Phone Post
6/4/12 12:06 PM
ayla108

Mahalo meatrokket for posting this up in this forum. Good points brought by Josh.

It's awesome to read Josh's take on this and he mentions my Judo Club's head sensei's name. Having returned to Judo with my kids, I've gotten even a clearer understanding on how tight all the SJSU Club alum are. lol. From the Sensei that helped me get my start, to Sensei Asano, to having met and trained with Sensei Nakano and Sensei Bencosme' just last month. Holy cats. But I digress...

I'm friends with both Alan and Kai, which is how I got into training with the Grappler's Circle club. The question I'm attempting to answer whilst learning and training with the club is how it improves or handicaps my Judo. I know I may not be using most of the popular techniques of Sambo when playing Judo, due to the IJF rules; the same goes for using most wrestling and BJJ techniques too. I wouldn't even consider any of the techniques no more exotic than the ethnic foods I eat, which seem to be exotic anywhere else in the U.S. it seems.
6/4/12 6:46 PM
meatrokket

Thx for the response. Phone Post
6/4/12 8:17 PM
ayla108

Been trying to get in touch with this guy I rolled with back in '08, he reeked of Sambo (a plethora of leg attacks, rolling takedowns, etc that most of the BJJ and Judo guys weren't doing during practice. sorry not too versed on Sambo to describe much more). Well I got in touch with him, Matt Elam. He's also teaching Sambo as part of his curriculum at his place in East Kapolei.

http://atletikatraining.com/

A couple of instructors in Kung Fu that I've trained under in the past also teach their respective disciplines there...according to the site.

I guess you can say that you now know of 2 places that teach Sambo.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.