UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Report: Barnett also gets 1 more Strikeforce bout

5/21/12 10:57 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1252 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Both finalists in the Strikeforce World Grand Prix will have another fight in the organization.

By winning the heavyweight tournament this past weekend in San Jose, Daniel Cormier moves to a fight that Strikeforce parent Zuffa previously promised to broadcaster Showtime, to highlight the Grand Prix winner. But it turns out that the other tourney finalist, Josh Barnett, also will have one more bout in Strikeforce, parent company Zuffa told USA TODAY on Monday.

read entire article...

5/21/12 10:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MMArijuana
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rematch? Phone Post
5/21/12 10:58 PM
MMArijuana

I think Strikeforce has a total of two heavyweights. Phone Post
5/21/12 10:59 PM
orcus

Cormier vs Kharitonov, Barnett vs Sylvia.
5/21/12 11:08 PM
MMALOGIC

Edited: 05/21/12 11:13 PM
 I doubt they fight in 2012... they last fought in september. roughly 9 months ago.

Zuffa is likely gonna keep em on the shelf while their hands heal and if showtime excercises it's option not to continue into 2013 Zuffa will just bring them into the UFC.

I believe if Zuffa comes to terms with FX for a weekly fight night series they will do everything in their power to make showtime end the deal before 2013.
5/21/12 11:09 PM
Dawggy
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

barnett/werdum would be interesting
5/21/12 11:15 PM
Delightone
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMArijuana - Rematch? Phone Post
Probably caus they are the only HW left in strikeforce Phone Post
5/21/12 11:24 PM
BaraoKix

Both guys will be getting some time off, SF will find and build another opponent
5/21/12 11:24 PM
brianlg

These poor guys.. Almost everyone who lost the tourney is in the ufc. No one is interested in strikeforce matchups. Just bring them over already. It would be awful if something career threatening happens to either of them while fighting lesser competition. Same with Melendez Phone Post
5/21/12 11:29 PM
Lulz McGee
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

brianlg -  These poor guys.. Almost everyone who lost the tourney is in the ufc. No one is interested in strikeforce matchups. Just bring them over already. It would be awful if something career threatening happens to either of them while fighting lesser competition. Same with Melendez Phone Post

Almost everyone who lost in the tourney and everyone in SF that weren't even considered for the tourney are in the UFC now.

Fuck you Showtime!
5/21/12 11:41 PM
SinCityHustler

So many angry people over such silly things.  Reminds me of my 6 year old neice saying "he got to do it, why can't I?"

Those were some great fights in the final and semis.  In fact, pretty much all of the tournament fights were very entertaining.  The tournament dragged on partially because of injuries and even though Overeem was booted, his replacement didn't miss a step, winning the whole thing, easily.  So now both finalists have broken their hands and need time to recover before fighting once again and they'll do it in Strike Force in featured matches without the $55 price tag that the UFC would charge us to view them.  You guys go ahead and whine, I'm pumped for their next two fights and looking forward to both guys making it to the UFC and getting into the mix.  And not a moment too soon as JDS should be ready for his next challenger right around that time.  
5/22/12 10:42 AM
Jake88

Barnett will win the rematch!
5/22/12 10:47 AM
UGCTT_LnPninja

MMArijuana -  Rematch? Phone Post

For what?

Cormier layed the beat down on Josh. He out wrestled and outstruck him. There would be no point, and very difficult to sell a rematch after that ass whoopin...
5/22/12 10:50 AM
BigWilliam
320 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does Showtime still have another Fedor fight? Throw him in with one of them for the last go round.
5/22/12 10:52 AM
UGCTT_JaseHxC

DC vs Carwin and Barnett vs Fedor...make this shit happen
5/22/12 10:57 AM
Chris27

Probably has to do with his contract, I think he said on the mma hour his contract couldnt be brought over to the UFC.

So they probably have to honor his deal and they probably wouldnt pay him that much money to fight in the UFC.

So they will keep him around until his contract is up or they completely kill the div and then maybe they cut him and sign him to the UFC or his deal is up and they negotiate a new deal with him.

But yeah that has to be it, why else would they keep him there?
5/22/12 10:59 AM
OneGloveJimmerson
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barnett vs the loser of Kongo/Big Nog!
5/22/12 2:42 PM
roscoegrinders
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I heard that less than 2000 people showed up for the final. No one cares about SF now that nearly all the talent is gone so why not just get these guys in the UFC?
5/22/12 2:51 PM
MMALOGIC

Edited: 05/22/12 2:55 PM
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much - 
MMALOGIC -  I doubt they fight in 2012... they last fought in september. roughly 9 months ago.

Zuffa is likely gonna keep em on the shelf while their hands heal and if showtime excercises it's option not to continue into 2013 Zuffa will just bring them into the UFC.

I believe if Zuffa comes to terms with FX for a weekly fight night series they will do everything in their power to make showtime end the deal before 2013.

Wasn't the deal going through the end of 2013?
I might be wrong but I don't think they could put them on the shelf for that long especially considering both are early to mid 30's.

Showtime has the option to end it before 2013 and not continue.  IF Zuffa wants them to exercise that option Im sure they will find a way to do it.  Im already seeing signs of it... with Dana's outburst saying he's done with showtime, firng king mo, etc...

The last time cormier injured his hand he fought 9 months ago so I believe they will be shelved for at least that long.

I think we'll know by september as FX is running a litmus test starting this week with 5 live UFC fighting events almost every week for the next 5 weeks.  With Tuf Live being an utter failure and if the fight nights on fx and ppv prelims on fx continue to go up or settle somewhere decent I believe renegotiations will begin to restructure the fox deal earlier rather than later.

5/22/12 2:54 PM
chokeyou

MMA waters ran deep in Cormier-BarnettUFC champ Jones apologizes, calls critics 'sickening'
May 21, 2012
Zuffa: Barnett also gets 1 more in Strikeforce

By Sergio Non, USA TODAY
2:49 PM
Comments

CAPTIONBy Kyle Terada, US Presswire
Both finalists in the Strikeforce World Grand Prix will have another fight in the organization.

By winning the heavyweight tournament this past weekend in San Jose, Daniel Cormier moves to a fight that Strikeforce parent Zuffa previously promised to broadcaster Showtime, to highlight the Grand Prix winner. But it turns out that the other tourney finalist, Josh Barnett, also will have one more bout in Strikeforce, parent company Zuffa told USA TODAY on Monday.

Whoever faces them will have to come from outside Strikeforce's current ranks. Cormier and Barnett are the last two heavyweights left in the organization; Zuffa has already moved Strikeforce's other prominent heavyweights to the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

UFC's next show might provide a pool of potential candidates. The promotion has an all-heavyweight main card planned for Saturday in Las Vegas. Three of the top four heavyweights in the USA TODAY/SB Nation consensus rankings are scheduled for the card, along with three others in the top 21.

Weeks before the tournament final, Barnett said the identity of his opponents no longer matters:

I stopped a long time ago caring about specifically who I fought, and only gave a damn if they were willing enough to sign their name to the dotted line. Because I've had plenty of people not be willing to face me in the ring, in the cage, whatever; Japan, United States.

You can't make fights happen. The only way you can make a fight happen is if you go and track the guy down in the bathroom and say, 'Alright, it's going to happen,' and start swinging on somebody.

Otherwise you've got management, you've got the promoters; you've got all these different factors that can come in and nix a matchup. So why care anymore?

Regardless of who they face, neither Barnett nor Cormier will be fighting for awhile because of broken hands incurred during their bout. Cormier expects to undergo surgery after re-injuring a right hand that was first fractured in September during his victory against Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva. Barnett hurt in his left hand, with the X-ray seeming to show a complete break just above the point where the index finger joins to the thumb and wrist bones.
5/22/12 2:54 PM
MMALOGIC

Edited: 05/22/12 2:58 PM
roscoegrinders -  I heard that less than 2000 people showed up for the final. No one cares about SF now that nearly all the talent is gone so why not just get these guys in the UFC?

leverage... Zuffa wants more money from fox to absorb SF into the UFC... and incase the fox deal continues to go sour instead of being stuck with fox and held hostage for 7 years there's a threat that Zuffa could transition some UFC fighters to SF for additional leverage.

Showtime is paying roughly 8 million a year plus production costs and that's without the UFC brand... Im sure Zuffa is gonna want around 15m a year from fox just for that inventory. 
5/22/12 2:55 PM
chokeyou

Fuck.

Those guys are warriors...

I'm still tired from watching the fight.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.