UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Victor Estima footlock breakdown (vids)

5/22/12 7:29 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
nogidavid
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As a lot of people have asked me for it, I filmed the technique portion of a class i gave at Grindhouse MMA in Burton on Trent last night.

In this set of videos I cover pretty much everything I know about the toes in stomach footlock and the special variation of the straight footlock. Someone involved with Victor said on the UG forum that he could be doing a video covering this for estima.tv so check that out if it comes out. Until then, here's my understanding of the position, as figured out from having it done to me about a billion times by Victor.
For those who don't remember my training in Rio de Janeiro thread, I'm David Morcegao from England and I was awarded my purple belt by Victor back in 2010.

Also, please visit my kind sponsors:

http://www.facebook.com/masaru.fightco

http://www.temperwear.co.uk/

Videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuO9TP07bSI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilZw65GQ9nw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhVtW7-U1XY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHBtkH9rK1U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsWFm_KcpP8
5/22/12 10:48 AM
bgup619
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I played with it a little on friday night... interesting position..
5/22/12 11:59 AM
onyx2002
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Quality videos. Thanks for taking the time to put them up.
5/22/12 3:10 PM
aatu
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

David, what do you think about using the move under BJJ rules? Obviously there's a video of Clark Gracie vs. Victor in BJJ where Victor finishes with the footlock so I suppose it is currently allowed at least for blackbelts. What do you think about bluebelts and purple belts using it in competition?

Based on your videos, and videos of Victor doing it in competition and the few times I've tried the move, it doesn't seem like it's the same kind of rotation you'd get from a toehold and it's more about forcing the ankle into inversion/eversion, but like I said, I have limited experience with the move.
5/22/12 3:24 PM
nogidavid
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thanks onyx :)

aatu, my understanding is that it's not covered specifically under the current rules, and MAY be legal for white to brown belts, but i can't say for certain until someone consults someone like alvaro mansur at the IBJJF. it would be potentially risky to try in competition, you may get away with it, but then again you may not...

p.s. i'm growing my hair out
5/22/12 3:33 PM
checkuroil
252 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For later Phone Post
5/22/12 4:10 PM
MickColins
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt Phone Post
5/22/12 5:21 PM
mrgoodarmbar
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice vids. Thanks man.

I do have a question...is there any subtle difference in foot position, etc. that makes you choose to wrap with one arm vs. the other. Sometimes you reach across and sometimes you use the same side arm... I just want to know if it's one of those things where it doesn't matter, or if there are slight differences that make you choose one over the other? thanks again.
5/22/12 7:26 PM
elburrogrande
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nogidavid - thanks onyx :)

aatu, my understanding is that it's not covered specifically under the current rules, and MAY be legal for white to brown belts, but i can't say for certain until someone consults someone like alvaro mansur at the IBJJF. it would be potentially risky to try in competition, you may get away with it, but then again you may not...

this. toe holds are not banned at purple and under. What is banned is figure fouring the foot. You can figure four the hell out of the leg tho.
5/22/12 10:49 PM
SleepBomb
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

really excellent videos. one of the best instructionals outside of ryan hall's stuff
5/22/12 11:29 PM
bgup619
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

elburrogrande - 
nogidavid - thanks onyx :)

this. toe holds are not banned at purple and under. What is banned is figure fouring the foot. You can figure four the hell out of the leg tho.

-do a toe hold at purple or under at an ibjjf event and watch how fast you get dq'd
5/23/12 1:53 AM
elburrogrande

bgup619 - 
elburrogrande - 

-do a toe hold at purple or under at an ibjjf event and watch how fast you get dq'd

There are more ways to do a toe hold than the traditional mata leao hold. For instance the estima lock. You better believe it that I will be looking for it at the mundials. Ive been hitting it a lot in training.
5/23/12 4:51 AM
Sir Taps
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Toe holds are banned for purple and below. The old "mata leao with foot" description was just a poor translation. Check pg 22 of the updated rules to see that toe holds are illegal.

The Victor footlock exists in a a strange grey area, where "in theory" it's a straight footlock, but because of the position of the opponent's foot, there is a twisting element to it. You could almost claim that you were performing a straight footlock, but unfortunately your opponent's foot was in the wrong place...

James
5/23/12 6:41 AM
JonnySweats
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/23/12 6:48 AM
 Edit- got it.
5/23/12 6:44 AM
JonnySweats
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here:
5/23/12 6:51 AM
JonnySweats

Edited: 05/23/12 6:53 AM
Cool, nasty footlocks are great.
5/23/12 8:50 AM
porra
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks! Phone Post
5/23/12 12:49 PM
Charlie Pearson
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks David, threw this up on Lockflow.com - great breakdown!
5/23/12 1:25 PM
demandango
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
5/23/12 1:44 PM
nogidavid

thanks for the kind words guys, especially sleepbomb, that's some high praise indeed.

i've been fortunate to have good teachers myself, plus a science degree and i trained as a high school teacher...so i try and break things down as best i can.

5/23/12 5:41 PM
carcaju
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sir Taps - Toe holds are banned for purple and below. The old "mata leao with foot" description was just a poor translation. Check pg 22 of the updated rules to see that toe holds are illegal.

The Victor footlock exists in a a strange grey area, where "in theory" it's a straight footlock, but because of the position of the opponent's foot, there is a twisting element to it. You could almost claim that you were performing a straight footlock, but unfortunately your opponent's foot was in the wrong place...

James

I got DQed at Pan Pacifics last year for doing a stright ankle lock, but the guys ankle popped out a bit and he turned his toes out and his heel in, making it look like some kind of retarded heelhook.

Last night was my first real night back training after knee surgery, and I hit a footlock on another guy. Next roll I dropped for it again and then when I put the figure four around the shin, I actually stopped, and asked whether it was legal. being away from the mats for so long made me forget. The answer I got was you can figure four the leg to straight ankle, but figure four toe holds are a DQ straight out.
5/24/12 9:52 AM
bgup619

elburrogrande - 
bgup619 - 
elburrogrande - 

There are more ways to do a toe hold than the traditional mata leao hold. For instance the estima lock. You better believe it that I will be looking for it at the mundials. Ive been hitting it a lot in training.

look for it and youll get dq'd unless you are a brown/black belt. The estima lock is a gray area but if I had to bet Id say you wont get the benefit of the doubt from the ref. Anything other than a straight ankle lock is illegal for purple and under. Enjoy your 100.00 T Shirt at the worlds..
5/24/12 4:16 PM
nogidavid

ttt
3/19/13 9:57 PM
nogidavid

for the UK guys, i'm doing a seminar on this position and other leglocks in Birmingham UK, 6th april. get in touch for details 

3/19/13 10:32 PM
John Clarke
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.