UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> Need A/C help

5/22/12 10:10 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
donnie
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a 2003 Ford Excursion V10. The A/C has stopped working. I took it to a shop and they wanted to charge a little over $800 to fix. This is way too much for me, but we need the A/C.

I'm contemplating doing the repairs myself. I am mechanically inclined; I just have never done A/C work.

To save money I have read about people replacing:

1.     Compressor

2.     Accumulator

3.     Orifice Tube

Then they take it to a shop to have them vacuum and fill the system.

Does this all sound good?

Thoughts on flushing? Do you flush, and then change Orifice Tube? Does the system need to be vacuumed after a flush, but before replacing the orifice tube?

11/29/13 4:31 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Agent Kruger
184 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/29/13 4:32 PM
First, see if it indeed has lost refrigerant. If it has, you have a leak that HAS to be found.

Any intrusive(opening up the closed system)maintenance must be performed by someone that holds the EPA 609 card. <

If you want to just change out components on your own, you have to ensure that the system doesn't have any pressure/refrigerant present. If the system has any charge, it MUST be evacuated according to EPA regulations. You would have to take it somewhere for this.

If you replace a component, bring it in to get at least a 30 minute vacuum.

If you replace anything, I also suggest replacing the drier/accumulator and orifice tube, if one is present. If it has an expansion valve, you don't need to replace it.

I honestly suggest taking it in for all repairs. I understand money is an issue, but not having it properly fixed will lead to log-term issues.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.