UnderGround Forums

Money, Business & Finance Ground >> ATTN investors- what returns do you expect on inv?

5/23/12 5:45 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HERTSWENIP
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/23/12 5:46 PM

I am on the verge of launching a business, and I have an investor willing to forward 60k in cash (he was wiling to put forth 100k, but I want to minimize his investment), to launch a product I spent years developing.

I have spent 30k of my own cash over the years, along with hundreds of hours of work doing the R&D.

This product has the potential to make millions, or it could only generate a measly 50k annual revenue.

My question is:

How much equity would you expect out of an investment like this?

I would like to retain the option to buy out my part of the company when I have the capital- what would be a reasonable proposal to an investor?

The reason is, if this product doesnt sell as well as planned, ie generating 50-60k a year, its not worth having a partner. Not only that, but having dual owner ship simply complicates matters.

I'm the mastermind behind the operation, and I'd be running the whole show- Id like to buy out my share. Ideally, I want to get in, make my money, and get out, and start a new project, or simply retire.

Do you have any suggestions or advice? I'm going to be having a follow up meeting with my investor monday to discuss his options, and Id like to be well prepared.
5/23/12 5:55 PM
HERTSWENIP
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also, what kind of buyout option would you be satisfied with? Ie, if I paid you back 150% return on your investment (ie you give me 60k, I give you 90k within a year and the company is all mine) would that be reasonable?
5/29/12 4:02 PM
Severnsmustache
313 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What could be fair is 50% ownership of the company until all of his equity plus a +-10% return on his money is paid back. Then dilute his ownership in the company on a sliding scale until he is at a % that works for both of you and rewards the risk he took with his cash.
Maybe 40% ownership for year 1 after his payback
30% year 2 after payback
25% from then on.
5/29/12 4:16 PM
Severnsmustache
313 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thats what could be "fair"

If I was the investor and I was passive in the company,  I'd be more aggressive and ask for a permanent ownership  close to 50%.... but that's me.
5/29/12 11:57 PM
HERTSWENIP

Edited: 05/30/12 12:00 AM
Thanks mustache, very helpful post!

Question: If I wanted to put a clause in our agreement, that states I retain the right to buy out his share of the company within the first 3 years after launch, what do you think is an acceptable amount? Ie 150% ROI?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.