UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> alternative worship at my church

5/25/12 11:01 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
reverend john
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

so we have two to four atheists that are there every week, which makes certain things akward.  Not wanting to be unsympathetic we have tried to incorporate ways of worship that allow them to participate.  This last monday we wrote haiku.  Read the blog, tell me how I am just trying to be cool and will most likely go to hell

which is fine all my friends will be there, we will party and have a bbq

:)

reverendjohn.blogspot.com/2012/05/alternative-to-singing-songs-for.html

rev
5/25/12 9:57 PM
Lahi
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
5/31/12 5:13 PM
zealot66
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is the first time I've ever heard of haikuing Jesus.  
6/23/12 8:00 AM
PastorJosh
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

reverend john -  so we have two to four atheists that are there every week, which makes certain things akward.  Not wanting to be unsympathetic we have tried to incorporate ways of worship that allow them to participate.  This last monday we wrote haiku.  Read the blog, tell me how I am just trying to be cool and will most likely go to hell

which is fine all my friends will be there, we will party and have a bbq

reverendjohn.blogspot.com/2012/05/alternative-to-singing-songs-for.html

rev
Absolute, full apostasy. Phone Post
6/23/12 12:20 PM
zealot66
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Its beautiful to have your self righteous self back. Why don't you bring down some hell fire on us. Wait maybe this is Mark F'n Driscill in drag ? 
6/23/12 12:45 PM
Lahi
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So having non-believers at a worship service is apostasy?
6/23/12 3:12 PM
Ali
729 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If it's absolute, full apostasy, it's not just having non-believers there. It's writing haiku. It's joking about bbq'ing in hell with friends. It's writing in English and on the internet, and having exactly four atheists every week, and... oh, I don't know. Anything else you can think of to make it more "full" to the point of "absolute".

Clearly, right?
6/23/12 6:28 PM
Lahi

6/24/12 1:32 PM
reverend john
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/24/12 1:32 PM
I admit, I hang out with sinners, and heretics and do all the things the religious people say I shouldn't, just like my hero and lord Jesus did. I guess he was a bad example huh?

rev
6/25/12 9:36 PM
Grakman

Hard to believe Pastor Josh and the Rev believe in the same God.
6/26/12 12:08 AM
Ridgeback
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Grakman - Hard to believe Pastor Josh and the Rev believe in the same God.

They don't.  Furthermore, I doubt they experience the same God.  
6/26/12 10:25 AM
reverend john

I wouldn't go that far, but it sure seems that way. It is amazing how the very thing Jesus stood against, becomes exactly what we create in His name. The current of the world is strong, we must do all we can just to stand firm against it. I think Paul talks about it a bit in Ephesians :) in that book I don't understand or read :)

rev
7/3/12 9:35 PM
PastorJosh

reverend john - I wouldn't go that far, but it sure seems that way. It is amazing how the very thing Jesus stood against, becomes exactly what we create in His name. The current of the world is strong, we must do all we can just to stand firm against it. I think Paul talks about it a bit in Ephesians :) in that book I don't understand or read :)

rev
No, you're wrong. Again. You keep trying to make the point that you're the believer in Christ and can clearly communicate his message but every. single. one. of your posts is absolutely filled to the brim of biblical distortions. Are you kidding me? Who do you think you're pulling the wool over? Have you never read Isaiah? Malachi? Have you never read Jeremiah about unacceptable worship? I hate to burst this universalist bubble but there IS worship that God hates. And it's clearly laid out in Scripture. Clearly. Clearly. Clearly. You're a wolf in sheep's clothing and you always will be. You can call that judging if you want but the Bible calls it doctrine. Phone Post
7/3/12 10:08 PM
reverend john

what does God despise about five syllables followed by seven followed by five? Is that the pattern of the devil? Does God not want us to take joy and be thankful in His creation? In the gathering of His church?

you are a scribe and a pharisee, and you beat your breast thanking God you are not like the evil sinner reverend John. Good luck with that

rev
7/3/12 10:15 PM
reverend john

Jesus is risen
risen from deaths dark cold grasp
freeing forever

what is evil about that Josh? That is haiku

rev
7/20/12 9:28 PM
SKARHEAD
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

reverend john - I admit, I hang out with sinners, and heretics and do all the things the religious people say I shouldn't, just like my hero and lord Jesus did. I guess he was a bad example huh?

rev

As long as you're helping them and not picking up their fleas...This is VERY hard to do...Jesus didn't pick up fleas...but most people do.
7/20/12 11:29 PM
reverend john

what you mean become a sinner? I thought I already was? Isn't the prayer of a Christian Lord, have mercy on me a sinner?

bad analogy brother, and bad attitude. It is not the healthy in need of a doctor

rev
7/21/12 3:34 AM
DyingBreed
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

reverend john - what you mean become a sinner? I thought I already was? Isn't the prayer of a Christian Lord, have mercy on me a sinner?

bad analogy brother, and bad attitude. It is not the healthy in need of a doctor

rev
You keep doing what you're doing rev. If you are in communication with God, he will direct you where you miss the mark. We are ALL sinners saved by grace.

Woman caught in the act of adultery..."go, and sin no more" ...but we get it backwards. We say, go and sin no more so god won't condemn you...he says, I don't condemn you, so based on that knowledge, go and sin no more. It is the kindness of god that leads people to repentance Phone Post
7/21/12 3:41 AM
DyingBreed
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DyingBreed -
reverend john - what you mean become a sinner? I thought I already was? Isn't the prayer of a Christian Lord, have mercy on me a sinner?

rev
You keep doing what you're doing rev. If you are in communication with God, he will direct you where you miss the mark. We are ALL sinners saved by grace.

Woman caught in the act of adultery..."go, and sin no more" ...but we get it backwards. We say, go and sin no more so god won't condemn you...he says, I don't condemn you, so based on that knowledge, go and sin no more. It is the kindness of god that leads people to repentance Phone Post
The thief on the cross, deserving to be there, "today u will be with me"

People responding to his grace and love

People at the foot of the cross throwing dice for his clothes get forgiven!

Who goes to hell? A rich man who overlooks a poor man. A dude with too much food, so instead of giving it to the poor, builds a barn to store it in.

A man and wife in the early church in charge of money for the poor keep some back for themselves and die sudden deaths in front of everyone.

We have all lost sight of what really matters to God. We picket movies and concerts, accomplishing NOTHING....and walk right by the homeless on our way there and back Phone Post
7/21/12 10:02 AM
reverend john

I do believe the monsignor has finally gotten the point :)

rev
8/2/12 7:35 AM
Leigh
877 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This sounds bizarre. Why would atheists come to your church? And SURELY they wouldn't resent you worshipping there

SKARHEAD - As long as you're helping them and not picking up their fleas...This is VERY hard to do...Jesus didn't pick up fleas...but most people do.

I think the Rev is a good enough judge of character to not hang out with people with "fleas", or to at least not pick them up
8/2/12 11:38 AM
reverend john

saw this on my subscription, they come because they see much good in Jesus and his teachings and want to be in community with people trying to live a better ethic. What we don't want is to create an atmosphere that is so foreign to them that they feel unwelcome. It is a razors edge to walk, because we are a church. But that said I think worship and prayer are more for our private devotions. Someone asked me "how are you doing that?" when I explained the tension

"not very well" I responded. This is not easy, but its worth it.

rev
8/2/12 11:41 AM
Leigh
877 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ok, I hope it works out. Sounds like you're all a good group of people.
8/3/12 3:38 PM
Ugly Joe
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just goes to enforce what people already say; Liberation Theology is pseudo-Christian Atheism.

But, I'm all for support groups. All the best.
8/3/12 3:49 PM
reverend john

nothing atheistic about me, and everyone I know that is involved in liberation theology is devoutly committed to Jesus, both in their own private spiritual world, their commitment to the church and their social activism. I pray and read the bible daily, I worship in a variety of ways, and we view evangelism as a process not an event, so we invite people to walk along with us rather than say you must decide... kind of like Jesus did

how atheist of us

rev

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.