UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> UFC remeasures Struve, ties Jon Jones for reach

5/25/12 2:07 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
epwar
646 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just saw this on Ariel's twitter page:

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/205474147831263232 

So get this: the UFC remeasured today, & he's now 6"11.5 with an 84.5" reach, tying Jones for the longest reach in UFC history 

5/25/12 2:15 PM
Acidic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wish Struve could use his jabs more effeciantly though. His reach is useless most of the time and when he jabs he doesnt even jab the face but the opponents gloves
5/25/12 2:18 PM
Festus
249 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wouldn't they remeasure them every fight as the reach could possibly change? Say they put on more muscle and got broader in the shoulders...couldn't that give them an extra half inch or more? Or vice versa and reach lessen. Phone Post
5/25/12 2:24 PM
epwar
646 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn, forgot to add: solid, thick, tight!
5/25/12 2:29 PM
sacredhate
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

so Jones has a more effective reach since Struve has to use more of his reach to direct punches downwards while Jones' reach is cutting a more direct route to his opponents.

5/25/12 2:30 PM
sacredhate
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Festus - Wouldn't they remeasure them every fight as the reach could possibly change? Say they put on more muscle and got broader in the shoulders...couldn't that give them an extra half inch or more? Or vice versa and reach lessen.

i don't think adding muscle on top of your shoulders makes the distance between your should joints any larger. Reach is based on your skeleton and not what is layered on top of it.
5/25/12 2:37 PM
MattyECB
179 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I gave up on Struve. Not as a fan, just that I don't think he'll ever grow enough to be a real threat. I kept telling myself he's young, he'll eventually learn to use his reach and become a Semmy Schlitt style K1 motherfucker in the stand up with good BJJ to accent it... but he has the fight IQ of a golf club.
5/25/12 2:37 PM
MattyECB
179 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Came out way too harsh lol, still love him, just don't think he'll even really master outside fighting
5/25/12 2:44 PM
Filo_Beto

Now if he only knew how to use his range he would be a dangerous MOFO but unfortunately he can't. Maybe he needs to train at jacksons I'm sure they can do wonders for his game.
5/25/12 2:45 PM
Filo_Beto

MattyECB - I gave up on Struve. Not as a fan, just that I don't think he'll ever grow enough to be a real threat. I kept telling myself he's young, he'll eventually learn to use his reach and become a Semmy Schlitt style K1 motherfucker in the stand up with good BJJ to accent it... but he has the fight IQ of a golf club.

I can agree with this!!
5/25/12 2:47 PM
UGCTT_EnderTL
228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree with everyone saying he needs to learn to use his reach more effectively. He would be a dominant force.
5/25/12 2:47 PM
Card
1905 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Please Struve don't get trapped against the cage.
5/25/12 2:51 PM
8flat
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Since reach is measured fingertip to fingertip, how did it change when they remeasured him? Maybe he stretched more this time..haha
5/25/12 2:55 PM
Festus
249 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sacredhate -
Festus - Wouldn't they remeasure them every fight as the reach could possibly change? Say they put on more muscle and got broader in the shoulders...couldn't that give them an extra half inch or more? Or vice versa and reach lessen.

i don't think adding muscle on top of your shoulders makes the distance between your should joints any larger. Reach is based on your skeleton and not what is layered on top of it.
Makes sense. I just assumed a broader back made for a longer reach. Phone Post
5/25/12 3:02 PM
C Riv

" Everything else is virtually un-idenctical"
5/25/12 3:03 PM
Tyson86
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Festus - 
sacredhate -

Makes sense. I just assumed a broader back made for a longer reach. Phone Post

Yea someone with a naturally wider skeleton at the shoulders would add to a longer reach, but adding muscle doesn't change your skeleton.
5/25/12 3:07 PM
RandyDarsh
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

First jones totals his vehicle while driving drunk, now this?
WHATS NEXT???
5/25/12 3:09 PM
breakbeatbox
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If Struve ever learned to use his reach like Schilt he'd be a dangerous motherfucker. He's never used his reach to his full advantage. Such a waste.
5/25/12 3:20 PM
catgobling

ufc manipulating data so that they have some shit to say during the prefight, making jones look even more like something to behold. theres no way i believe these 2 have the exact same length reach
5/25/12 3:23 PM
RandyDarsh
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

catgobling - ufc manipulating data so that they have some shit to say during the prefight, making jones look even more like something to behold. theres no way i believe these 2 have the exact same length reach

i dunno struve has short arms for a tall guy and jones has long arms for a Lhw
THINK BOUT IT BOUT IT
5/25/12 3:42 PM
evilmonkey666

8flat - Since reach is measured fingertip to fingertip, how did it change when they remeasured him?

HGH?
5/25/12 3:44 PM
ironyuppie

the rule of thumb is that your reach is equal to your height.

So Struve's is +1 inch of his height and Jones is +8.5.

Lesnar was 75 inches tall and had a 81 inch reach.

gsp is 70 inches tall and has a 76 inch reach
5/25/12 3:46 PM
RandyDarsh

evilmonkey666 - 
8flat - Since reach is measured fingertip to fingertip, how did it change when they remeasured him?

HGH?

im pretty sure struve wasnt done growing, he was young as fuck when he first fought in the UFC
5/25/12 3:57 PM
Willin
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sacredhate - 

No- he packed on muscle on his fingertips which extended his reach... IDIOT!

5/25/12 3:57 PM
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Struve should go train with the Diaz brothers so he can learn use his jab. If the guy could ever learn how to box his length would give a lot of people problems.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.