UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Nick Diaz's "flat-footed" boxing style

10/23/12 8:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JohnnyChingas
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Diaz' style has not evolved with the rest of the MMA world. Neither has his training, he needs to start eating meat and come off that vegan crap, also, some new workouts to build muscle. Flipping/swinging hammers at large tires, maybe some kettle bells... Some of those rope drills would be great to.

I guess that won happen though, because he has smoked himself retarded.
10/23/12 8:24 PM
SickEyeDiaz
428 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^ give it up for the new troll on the block! Phone Post
10/23/12 9:10 PM
Subvertir

My biggest criticism of Nick is that he should throw more kicks. His kicks are excellent, he just rarely pulls the trigger. Against orthodox opponents, I want to see Nick throwing his left leg at the liver after nearly every jab, preferring it to the straight left hand. Against southpaws he should attack the lead leg off the jab. When he throws the lead right hook to the body, occasionally follow it up with the left headkick instead of the left hook. I'd also like to see the (almost never used) straight left hand to the liver against orthodox opponents. Maybe work on some fast Machida style kicks with the lead leg to counter any lateral movement to the right. I'd also very much like to see some more musculature, more explosiveness, more power. It would put a big smile on my face to see Nick *completely* shut down that jab'n'jog gameplan.

10/23/12 10:21 PM
kingkoopa

The thing about typical boxing stances is that they leave you susceptible to takedowns and or leg kicks. Diaz's flatfootedness also leaves him susceptible to those.
The lateral movement, non-flatfootedness of boxing can help in controlling distance which could b a benefit in defending takedowns but the stance would have to modified. If your stance is too square it's harder to sprawl and if your flat footed lateral movement is hindered

IMHO anyways Phone Post
10/24/12 6:58 AM
spliff
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Subvertir - My biggest criticism of Nick is that he should throw more kicks. His kicks are excellent, he just rarely pulls the trigger. Against orthodox opponents, I want to see Nick throwing his left leg at the liver after nearly every jab, preferring it to the straight left hand. Against southpaws he should attack the lead leg off the jab. When he throws the lead right hook to the body, occasionally follow it up with the left headkick instead of the left hook. I'd also like to see the (almost never used) straight left hand to the liver against orthodox opponents. Maybe work on some fast Machida style kicks with the lead leg to counter any lateral movement to the right. I'd also very much like to see some more musculature, more explosiveness, more power. It would put a big smile on my face to see Nick *completely* shut down that jab'n'jog gameplan.

10/24/12 7:08 AM
Gokudamus stole my name
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kingkoopa -  The thing about typical boxing stances is that they leave you susceptible to takedowns and or leg kicks. Diaz's flatfootedness also leaves him susceptible to those.
The lateral movement, non-flatfootedness of boxing can help in controlling distance which could b a benefit in defending takedowns but the stance would have to modified. If your stance is too square it's harder to sprawl and if your flat footed lateral movement is hindered

IMHO anyways Phone Post

Thats true. However legkicks are somewhat negated by the fact that Diaz is constantly moving forward and pressuring. Have you tried kicking someone while moving backwards? Its very hard to do, now add in that Diaz is incredibly tough and wont be going down from anything but a massive number of legkicks and you are basically trading your face for his legs

Thats part of the reason Condit did the "baby legkicks" strategy. If he tried put power behind his legkicks, he would need to be grounded wich limits movement, he had to be on the balls of his feet constantly to circle out everytime Diaz got near him

10/24/12 7:20 AM
SickEyeDiaz
428 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really want to see footage from Nicks lone professional boxing match. I am guessing that his footwork would be much different in a straight up boxing match.

I don't think this footage is out there (in public) or it would have been posted at some point in time, but on the outside chance that someone can post it, please do!
10/24/12 7:43 AM
simonpe

drunkard - I don't get Nick Diaz to begin with he is weak(no muscleature) has no power in his punches and a guy like Chael Sonnen would beat him like a rented mule. seriously ,Chael would beat him like a litle girl.
Sonnen fans are so dumb... Phone Post
10/24/12 7:28 PM
kingkoopa

Gokudamus stole my name -
kingkoopa -  The thing about typical boxing stances is that they leave you susceptible to takedowns and or leg kicks. Diaz's flatfootedness also leaves him susceptible to those.

IMHO anyways Phone Post

Thats true. However legkicks are somewhat negated by the fact that Diaz is constantly moving forward and pressuring. Have you tried kicking someone while moving backwards? Its very hard to do, now add in that Diaz is incredibly tough and wont be going down from anything but a massive number of legkicks and you are basically trading your face for his legs

Thats part of the reason Condit did the "baby legkicks" strategy. If he tried put power behind his legkicks, he would need to be grounded wich limits movement, he had to be on the balls of his feet constantly to circle out everytime Diaz got near him

You are correct about Legs licks while moving back. But a flat footed opponent that moves forward constantly is easier to takedown. That's why Diaz gets takedown and wrestle fucked easily. Aside from the fact that he's comfortable on his back.

One thing I've never seen in mma is the back step switch kick. It's when take a step back and kick with that same leg. Works best when done in rapid motion. It's the only good kick I can think of while moving back. Phone Post
10/24/12 7:35 PM
UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - Nick is a good boxer if he can get his opponent up against the cage.

That.

His defense is poor, as is his footwork FOR MMA. He gets away with it because of his chin and because most of his opponents cannot box that well.

10/24/12 7:50 PM
Zed Wayne Zed
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

drunkard - I don't get Nick Diaz to begin with he is weak(no muscleature) has no power in his punches and a guy like Chael Sonnen would beat him like a rented mule. seriously ,Chael would beat him like a litle girl.

He's a Gracie blackbelt, great stand-up, iron chin, game as fuck, cardio for dears, and one of the most exciting MMA fighters we have today.
Love him, hate him, if you like MMA, you always make time for a Nick Diaz fight.

We don't get you.
10/24/12 7:57 PM
AristidesBrito
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post
10/24/12 8:14 PM
The Sultan
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can someone hyperlink it? Phone Post
10/24/12 10:07 PM
Brock Lobster
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KZTT_thatwhitekid -
drunkard - I don't get Nick Diaz to begin with he is weak(no muscleature) has no power in his punches and a guy like Chael Sonnen would beat him like a rented mule. seriously ,Chael would beat him like a litle girl.
Chael would get arm barred quickly Phone Post
Very quickly Phone Post
10/26/12 7:15 AM
MountainMedic
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Subvertir - My biggest criticism of Nick is that he should throw more kicks. His kicks are excellent, he just rarely pulls the trigger. Against orthodox opponents, I want to see Nick throwing his left leg at the liver after nearly every jab, preferring it to the straight left hand. Against southpaws he should attack the lead leg off the jab. When he throws the lead right hook to the body, occasionally follow it up with the left headkick instead of the left hook. I'd also like to see the (almost never used) straight left hand to the liver against orthodox opponents. Maybe work on some fast Machida style kicks with the lead leg to counter any lateral movement to the right. I'd also very much like to see some more musculature, more explosiveness, more power. It would put a big smile on my face to see Nick *completely* shut down that jab'n'jog gameplan.

That's a solid post. Worst case he gets taken down, which is not a bad thing when your a CG BB. Phone Post
10/26/12 7:22 AM
OxymoronicalAmbiguity
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im Phone Post
10/26/12 9:06 AM
rescueink

He is not an excellent boxer! Takes way too many shots and has zero defense, no slipping,rolling and has no head movement. I give him tremendous credit for his chin and cardio but let's not get it twisted. Most mma fighters are not great boxers. Because of having to deal with kicks, knees and takedowns the focus on actually boxing is quite lessened. That being said u can't argue his results and has created quite the following as a great boxer for mma. And all the hype of him against possibly silva. It would be an embarrassing mauling and silva ends it by strikes whenever he wants Phone Post
10/26/12 9:54 AM
Bobby Lupo
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Andre ward said that nick gives him good work while sparring. That's major Phone Post
10/26/12 10:03 AM
rescueink

I would 100% guarantee he is being respectful and good work for a 12 round fighter means he comes in for rounds 10,11 and 12 and keeps coming forward and pressures ward who has just done 9 rounds with much more dangerous boxers. Also Andre ward is a god loving nice person I have never heard him bash anyone, to his credit he is a pure professional. Phone Post
10/26/12 11:27 AM
Bobby Lupo
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah. I'm not in any way implying that Diaz gives Ward any problems other than being a fresh active body. Ward is a top 10 boxer in the world and if he sees value in bringing Diaz in, then there's something to be said by that action alone.
10/26/12 11:48 AM
AJS19ad6
371 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt Phone Post
10/26/12 11:50 AM
UGSlapshot

I call it the pitter patter pow technique. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.