UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> TKZ fought Poirier with torn rotatator cuff

5/28/12 12:17 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1027 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Dallas Winston: Can you expand on some of your health concerns going into the Poirier fight?

Chan Sung Jung: Now that the fight is over, I can come out and say that my injuries were/are pretty bad. I've been struggling with a bum knee for quite a while now. Actually, it been okay for most of the camp, but started to really hurt near the end of the camp and approaching the fight. Then there's my shoulder. My shoulder had been giving me problems for months now and keeping from doing pulling exercises, pull-ups, chin-ups, even pushups.

I finally had an MRI done and the doctor's verdict is that I have a tear in my rotator cuff. He recommended immediate surgery, but I wasn't about to let some skinny-necked doctors stand between me and my goal, so I played it down and trained through the pain.

If you look at pictures of me before my American fights, you'll see a pretty dramatic change in my physical build; musculature, if you will.

However, heading into the Poirier fight, I had lost quite a bit of the mass that I had been building throughout those previous fights. My physical peak was probably at the Hominick match.

After that, my nagging knee injury started to rear its ugly head again, but this time it had company in a rotator cuff tear. It was the rotator cuff tear that was the culprit to my loss of muscle and mass. It definitely put a crimp in my training style, because I didn't get to do a lot of things I wanted to do. And the things that I did do, I didn't do them to the degree that I would have liked to.

Regardless, we come to fight -- so I manned up and kept training for Poirier, and we saw how that turned out.

read entire interiew...

5/28/12 12:30 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Evzey
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

War TKZ that's not an injury to take serious I've damaged my shoulder in the past and even basic stuff hurts like hell Phone Post
5/28/12 12:30 PM
MikeHavik
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What a beast! Phone Post
5/28/12 12:33 PM
hubris
182 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I didn't know TKZ could speak English so well
5/28/12 12:33 PM
UGCTT_the people's cecil
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

" He recommended immediate surgery, but I wasn't about to let some skinny-necked doctors stand between me and my goal, so I played it down and trained through the pain."

TKZ is awesome.
5/28/12 12:55 PM
Chiron
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's why the TKZ is a bad ass. Nagging little injuries are one thing, but rotator cuff tears are a bitch.
5/28/12 1:03 PM
hubris
182 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

manned up? Skinny necked doctors?

did some teenager write this for TKZ?
5/28/12 1:04 PM
BuddyRevell
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

duckhuntgangsta - 
hubris - I didn't know TKZ could speak English so well

Most of the time when I read a story I hear the fighter's voice. This was not one of those times. 
Agreed. Personally, I heard Classy Freddie Blassie's voice, who coined the term, "Pencil Neck Geek."

5/28/12 1:40 PM
studiocamp
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/28/12 1:41 PM
duckhuntgangsta - 
hubris - I didn't know TKZ could speak English so well

Most of the time when I read a story I hear the fighter's voice. This was not one of those times. 

Add a "fuck", "shit", or "um" about every 3rd word and you can read it in Nick Diaz's voice.
5/28/12 1:41 PM
studiocamp
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/28/12 1:41 PM
dbl.
5/28/12 1:42 PM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
773 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

khaynes21 - beast mode.
. Phone Post
5/28/12 1:44 PM
iCameiLostiRetiredDiaz

Future FW champ Phone Post
5/28/12 1:49 PM
Ben Smooth'd Out My Butthole

Makes his win even more impressive. Phone Post
5/28/12 2:02 PM
Calavaro
218 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When I thought he couldn't be more awesome.... he's more awesome.
5/28/12 2:04 PM
D241

To just fight and not pull out gives him my utmost respect.

I was doing inclined bench press August 2011. I was in the best shape I've been in years and I thin I put too much weight and I did something really bad to my shoulder. Now, June 2012, my shoulder is STILL fucked up. I was working out 6 days a week sometimes 2 times a day, and haven't worked out since my injury. I can barely do 20 push ups with my shoulder injury. I was doing 40-50 push ups, now it's a struggle to do 20. Not just because I haven't worked out, but because the injury is still there.

Anyways, him having an injury I can relate to makes him catapult to a fighter I want to see win regardless who is facing him.
5/28/12 2:30 PM
12SixElbow
619 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_the people's cecil - " He recommended immediate surgery, but I wasn't about to let some skinny-necked doctors stand between me and my goal, so I played it down and trained through the pain."

TKZ is awesome.

fucking classic
5/28/12 2:32 PM
omgjoshjames
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

War TKZ! Phone Post
5/28/12 2:33 PM
X_Rated
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12SixElbow -
UGCTT_the people's cecil - " He recommended immediate surgery, but I wasn't about to let some skinny-necked doctors stand between me and my goal, so I played it down and trained through the pain."

TKZ is awesome.

fucking classic
That was pretty awesome indeed. Phone Post
5/28/12 4:34 PM
ender852
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bad ass
5/28/12 9:46 PM
Ew0k187

D241 -  To just fight and not pull out gives him my utmost respect.

I was doing inclined bench press August 2011. I was in the best shape I've been in years and I thin I put too much weight and I did something really bad to my shoulder. Now, June 2012, my shoulder is STILL fucked up. I was working out 6 days a week sometimes 2 times a day, and haven't worked out since my injury. I can barely do 20 push ups with my shoulder injury. I was doing 40-50 push ups, now it's a struggle to do 20. Not just because I haven't worked out, but because the injury is still there.

Anyways, him having an injury I can relate to makes him catapult to a fighter I want to see win regardless who is facing him.<br type="_moz" />

same here, im just getting over a rotator cuff injury

i impinged my shoulder doing heavy incline dumbbell press 1.5 months ago..sucks so bad. i dont think i tore anything though because i can still hit the weights, just not as heavy for now.

injuries are the worst because you are mentally ready, but your body is not. i can imagine it being even more horrifying when you fight for a living. props to anyone who's suffered an injury and came back from it
5/28/12 10:29 PM
DaddyO4
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wonder how severe the tear was/is.Cain was out for 13 months following his.I just had mine operated on less than two weeks ago.Full infraspinatus tendon tear,partial labrum tear,scar tissue...surgery and rehab hurt 100 times more than when it tore.

Could still do weighted pullups,pushups,but couldn't throw punch or drink milk out of jug.Thought I could rest,ice it,massage, but did not improve.Got MRI and got the bad news.

Depending on severity, we may not see TKZ for a while.
5/28/12 10:34 PM
the geek
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TKZ is awesome.

Werd up!
5/28/12 10:40 PM
Masakatsu Funaki
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Korean Zombie is a monster.

Imagine if he was Mexican. He would have to come up with new nickname acronyms.

Or just go with the indefinite MZ. Phone Post
5/28/12 10:48 PM
goku

I would have showed up with one leg, dragging myself into the Octagon by my chin if I had to. I'm not sure about the prognosis right now, as I'll be going to the doctor tomorrow.

BEAST! Phone Post
5/28/12 11:25 PM
rockwell
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LIKE A BAWSE!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.