UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Anybody ever re-torn an ACL?

5/28/12 1:53 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
AmblingAlp
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/28/12 1:58 PM

Last night I was playing soccer and I hurt the knee I had an allograft (cadaver) surgery on two years ago. Anyways, it didn't hurt nearly as bad (or swell up) like it did the first time. I'm hopefully it's not re-torn but this is by far the worst I've injured it since the surgery and I'm naturally a little concerned. I read that a tear of an allograft doesn't hurt nearly as bad, so it would be nice to hear a personal account if anybody has gone through a second ACL tear?

Additionally: Even before this happened my allograft leg wouldn't go completely straight. It was mostly straight and it never really created an issue but it wouldn't go all the way straight, and last night when I was kicking the ball at the same time as somebody else I think it kind of forced itself straight. So I'm hoping its maybe just a hyper-extension? Would that put the ACL at risk?

Finally, if my knee is fine. Has anybody had experience making progress in straightening their leg two years out? Is it possible to do some exercises or therapy on it to get it straight, or at this point am I stuck with a leg that won't go all the way straight? I mean it goes like 98% straight before it tightens up.
5/30/12 10:48 AM
cdueck
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It wasn't two years out but I used to sit with my foot on the coffee table at home while watching tv. Just my heel would be supported and most of my leg would be off the couch as well.  As my leg relaxed it would straighten out so I would do this for the evening, it would hurt like crazy to bend it after but I got it to go completely straight. 
10/14/12 2:02 AM
nowaydo
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

twice
10/21/12 5:44 PM
Caught_clean
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

REtore mine after my first surgery, got a full hamstring replacement and my body rejected the fucking graft. 1 year later I got a full patella replacement and it holding fine. Over the years... 6 surgeries total.
10/24/12 1:20 PM
billygamble
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

my knee took a year one time to full go flat
11/9/12 3:58 PM
Michael Piekarski
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The ACL does restrict hyperextension in the knee

11/25/12 12:58 PM
Popolop
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Most common mechanisms for ACL injury are deceleration with internal or external rotation with the knee flexed at 30 degrees. Hyper-extension is another mechanism but a much less common one and it is generally when the knee if forcefully hyper-extended by an outside source. Both kicking the ball at the same time does not seem like it would force your leg into hyper extension but without seeing it happen I cannot comment concretely. The inability to fully extend your lower leg will come into play later as it will affect your hamstring flexibility which can lead to lower back pain and put you at risk for other injury. Full range of motion is generally the first goal in a rehab program after controlling swelling. If it is your hamstring ROM that is restricting you from full extension then it is a relatively quick fix with regular stretching, but if for whatever reason it is the ACL that is restricting ROM, I would talk to Dr. because I have no experience with that.
IMPORTANT: If you heard or felt a pop, snap, or click, I would return to the Dr. that did your surgery and ask from him to push and pull on your knee as he/she would have a good idea of your ACL laxity post-surgery. Otherwise, any injury, aside from most ligamentus/capsule injuries, will take 4-6 weeks to heal with rest and controlling the swelling.

I understand that this post probably came a little late to help the OP, but I hope someone can find use for this.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.