UnderGround Forums

What if ... >> Mayhem retires

5/28/12 4:49 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Saturday night at UFC 146 Jason "Mayhem" Miller fought and lost against CB Dollaway. Now 0-3 in the UFC, he was released by the organization.

Moments ago, Mayhem appeared on The MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani, and announced his retirement.

"Yeah, I said I would [retire] and so I am," said Miller "I didn't get the job done and that's what I'm saying. I'm done for right now. Who knows what the future holds but at the same time, what's the point?"

When asked if he was leaving to door open for a possible return at some point, Miller took a long pause, and then said we might as well slam it shut.

"I feel free in a weird way," Mayhem continued. "Like in the strangest way, I feel free and I know that sounds strange when I've devoted my entire life to fighting, but I feel like my life is unlocked for a whole other set of adventures. I don't feel the need to super-impress one person in particular, make them happy. I can focus on making myself happy and I don't have the pressures of a commissioner chasing me around with a piss cup or the pressures of everyone verbally abusing me for my missteps via social media. I feel like a weight is lifted."

5/28/12 4:51 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
D241
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/28/12 4:52 PM
  http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&thread=2006956 

This is the 2nd time in as many months that UG NEWS posted the same topic thread I already posted at least an hour before, and proceeds to make the same topic.  Previous one was the GSP scared of Aliens thread.  

If this is going to be the norm than I will back off and assume anything I find and would make a thread about, I'll just assume UG news would make the same thread.
5/28/12 4:53 PM
The Real Asian Cowboy
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not surprised. If he is not in the UFC then he doesn't have much of a fighting career left. Best of luck to him. He has many more ventures that he will be successful in.
5/28/12 4:53 PM
DamnSevern
1209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mayhem says he's retiring
5/28/12 5:01 PM
Kirik
2024 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground, Mayor for Life
D241 -   http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&thread=2006956 

This is the 2nd time in as many months that UG NEWS posted the same topic thread I already posted at least an hour before, and proceeds to make the same topic.  Previous one was the GSP scared of Aliens thread.  

If this is going to be the norm than I will back off and assume anything I find and would make a thread about, I'll just assume UG news would make the same thread.
In all cases the UG Blog thread should be removed, and attached to your article, as is the case here.
5/28/12 5:16 PM
The Real Asian Cowboy
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is there some type of award for posting a news story first?
5/28/12 5:55 PM
TSGIGOR
799 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jason "Mayhem" Miller Are Forever!
 Very sadly.
 He is the great fighter.

5/28/12 7:31 PM
Authority Figure

1. Finally an athlete realizes it's time to stop trying to be a fighter.

2. Anyone else feel like he lacks maturity?

3. His personality is great for television. I hope he parlays BB into something really lucrative for himself and his family. With a good agent and entertainment lawyer on his side he can start making some real money.
5/28/12 8:11 PM
MAG

Well - Dana, for some reason, never seemed to like Miller - so the chances of him getting a new UFC contract is highly unlikely.

After the strikeforce Diaz/Miller fiasco he was basically shelved by the network so a strikeforce contract is highly unlikely.

So what's left for him?

The business side of MMA is far less forgiving than any opponent in the cage.

If you're the champ of the biggest promotion, UFC, like is great. If you are top 5 its still pretty good. Top 10... it's ok. Below a top ten ranking I would not want to be involved in the sport. Especially not as a seasoned vet.

Good for him for realizing this - hope he finds some other shit to enjoy and pays the bills.
5/28/12 8:13 PM
D241

MAG - Well - Dana, for some reason, never seemed to like Miller - so the chances of him getting a new UFC contract is highly unlikely.

After the strikeforce Diaz/Miller fiasco he was basically shelved by the network so a strikeforce contract is highly unlikely.

So what's left for him?

If you're the champ of the biggest promotion, UFC, like is great. If you are top 5 its still pretty good. Top 10... it's ok. Below a top ten ranking I would not want to be involved in the sport. Especially not as a seasoned vet.

Good for him for realizing this - hope he finds some other shit to enjoy and pays the bills.
I agree or understand everything you said except for one part. 

What do you think about Mayhem going to Bellator?

5/28/12 8:54 PM
MAG

D241 - 
MAG - Well - Dana, for some reason, never seemed to like Miller - so the chances of him getting a new UFC contract is highly unlikely.

So what's left for him?

I agree or understand everything you said except for one part. 

What do you think about Mayhem going to Bellator?

*'life', not 'like', is great.

Bellator? Maybe its just me, but I consider it a decent promotion for the lighter weight classes, but not for the heavier weight classes in terms of competition.

Sure - I guess he can go there and be the biggest fish in a tiny pond, but where does that really leave him?

In all of life and sports, especially MMA, either you are moving up or moving down. Promotions like Bellator are perfectly fine when you are just starting your MMA career, but it's not where you want to be demoted to when you are in the prime of your life like Miller is now.

He is at a point in his career where he should be harvesting the fruits of his labor - now he's starting from scratch and has a long way to go before he can rebuild his record. And unfortunately time is no longer on his side.

Dude should work on building his BJJ school, work on some more Maxim articles. I don't know - do whatever interests him. Outside of sports he is still very young.
5/28/12 9:30 PM
D241

MAG - 
Sure - I guess he can go there and be the biggest fish in a tiny pond, but where does that really leave him?

Getting P-A-I-D

5/28/12 9:46 PM
Twstd

Octagon Mom - Its amazing how many doctors and lawyers the Underground has, but now it's filled up with TV executives too with great ideas about TV shows.

Enlighten me, how does Mayhem have a future on TV again being that he currently has nothing going on for him in his life and he just blew the biggest opportunity to actually make money.

Mayhem has no chance on TV unless he starts to salvage old storage lockers.

LOL holy stereotypical-non-logical woman. You make sarcastic remarks about people being lawyers and shit, then go on to make your own case about blowing his biggest opportunity and why he should not be on TV. I actually fucking lold at this shit and can picture one dumb stereotypical cunty broad. Please, post some more cuz that shit was ironic GOLD.
5/28/12 10:36 PM
ender852
149 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sucks, i'll always be a fan.
i hope he takes a year or two off and gets his mind right and then comes back out of retirement.
5/28/12 10:46 PM
WikiTheWalrus
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Octagon Mom - Its amazing how many doctors and lawyers the Underground has, but now it's filled up with TV executives too with great ideas about TV shows.

Do you doubt there are alot of lawyers on the UG/OG? You do know there is a whole subforum for all of the lawyers, right?
5/28/12 11:29 PM
D241

Octagon Mom -
Enlighten me, how does Mayhem have a future on TV again being that he currently has nothing going on for him in his life and he just blew the biggest opportunity to actually make money.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bully_Beatdown 

3 Seasons 24 episodes of his own tv show.

YW for the enlightenment

5/29/12 1:39 AM
Josheo

good luck, Mayhem. You were one of the first fighters I quickly became a fan of when I started to watch mma. I thought your style and good-natured, crazy antics were awesome. You truly lived up to your "mayhem" moniker. It's been a blast man. Thanks for the entertainment.
5/29/12 2:14 AM
MagSlim

So what's left for him?

Being an 'active UFC vet' does have it's perks. Some sponsorship money if you're a personality. Your can charge more for your bjj school and privates.

If you market yourself correctly you can make it worth a decent amount. Whether that's 'worth it' in his case, right now, is a different matter.
5/29/12 1:17 PM
chaplinshouse
786 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yeah i'd feel free as hell too if i could quit my job and responsibilities.  most have bills though.  he just wants to take the good (which was tremendous.  reality shows, mega cash, fame, women) not the bad (which wasn't that bad.  pee in a cup.  train.  show up on time.  be expected to beat a gatekeeper far less experienced than you).   99% of people have way bigger down sides and smaller up sides.  "oh i'm so free from that torment waaah!"

5/29/12 2:23 PM
Authority Figure

I guess you give really great head. I can't figure out why anyone would let you live this long if you didn't.

He just spent the last few years on television is one of the most active demographics there is. He's got name recognition. He's humorous. He's comfortable in front of the camera. Let me think. Are any of those things useful in TV? hmm...i guess you're right. He has no chance at all. smh. (stfu)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.