UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jason 'Mayhem' Miller clears air about backstage

5/28/12 6:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ScottLean
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jason 'Mayhem' Miller retires from MMA, clears air about UFC 146 'incident' backstage:

http://www.mmamania.com/2012/5/28/3048651/jason-mayhem-miller-retires-from-mma-clears-air-about-ufc-146?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
5/28/12 6:10 PM
vandelay
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For later Phone Post
5/28/12 6:12 PM
manzuri
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

vandelay - For later Phone Post
. Phone Post
UGCTT_LnPninja
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The former host of MTV's 'Bully Beatdown' pledged to quit MMA if he lost to C.B. Dollaway at UFC 146, and after rocking "The Doberman" twice on the feet, and despite coming into the bout shredded, he would go on to get outwrestled for three rounds and lose a unanimous decision. Afterwards, Dana White said Miller was 'done with the UFC' and even alluded to a backstage incident.

During an appearance on The MMA Hour today, "Mayhem" cleared the air and confirmed that he'll be stepping away from the sport.

"Yeah, I said I would [retire] and so I am. I didn't get the job done and that's what I'm saying. I'm done for right now. Who knows what the future holds but at the same time, what's the point?"

Miller was distant and cryptic at times during the conversation, talking about jumping off a bridge, then correcting himself and saying "base jumping' when asked for clarification.

'Mayhem' also had plenty to say about the reported backstage incident that had Dana White all fired up.

Star-divide

Despite rumors, the incident had nothing to do with his opponent C.B. Dollaway backstage, it had more to do with Miller's entrance.

"It was my mask. Burt [Watson] suddenly started yelling about my mask. I had a gas mask for the troops underneath my paper bag, and Burt started telling me right as I'm walking out for the fight. I'm trying to get focused instead of arguing about a paper bag. Maybe it was my fault. I thought we had an understanding once I start walking out to the cage and then now I'm working, but obviously we're not on a playing field of mutual respect."

The nearly 12 year fight veteran has become rather popular for his pre-fight cage entrances, so it's not surprising that he would be upset when things were changed at the last minute.

"I wish I would have heard about it before so it would be easier to deal with. But here I am walking to the cage, and suddenly I started getting yelled at. I'm like ‘what, I'm trying to focus here.' Whatever. Things don't always go the way you want. That's life and you have to deal with it."

While most fighters seemingly feel empty when they walk away from the sport, Miller actually sounded relieved when talking about his decision and his newfound freedom.

"I feel free in a weird way. Like in the strangest way, I feel free and I know that sounds strange when I've devoted my entire life to fighting, but I feel like my life is unlocked for a whole other set of adventures. I don't feel the need to super-impress one person in particular, make them happy. I can focus on making myself happy and I don't have the pressures of a commissioner chasing me around with a piss cup or the pressures of everyone verbally abusing me for my missteps via social media. I feel like a weight is lifted."

What's your take on all of this, Maniacs?

TheAssMurderer
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cliff notes -

He was semi arguing with Burt before walking out for his fight. It was over a paper sack mask and a gas mask. Burt didnt want him wearing the sack.
5/28/12 6:23 PM
ranier wolfcastle
843 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dont piss off bert
5/28/12 6:34 PM
Motivated Penn
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As much was I am not a fan of Miller, and his cohort of fans who jump on the wagon of whoever has the zaniest hairdo and wears those white grid plastic glasses, he does not deserve to go out in this manner, with everybody thinking this was the worst fight of the card, and with the post-fight debacle etc. He'll bounce back though, do some interviews when he feels better, get this shit behind him, do some training perhaps, train some up and comers.
5/28/12 6:54 PM
Black Belt Wrestling

I don't have a dog in this fight but am I the only one who feels this vibe of some fighters growing a little tired of the Dana & co act? The deal with the UFC promoting the UFC brand instead of individual fighters may ultimately come back to bite them in the end. The UFC is very ho hum and boring right now to a ton of casuals and these casuals are the ones that whether they admit it or not would mark out over some pure entertainment type guys and entrances. Guys like Mayhem and Roy Nelson could absolutely be pushed to the moon and become stars. I didn't say that they were the best! But Roy Nelson could put far more asses in seats than most fighters in the UFC right now. If Mayhem & Lawlor do crazy entrances - why now let them go all out?
5/28/12 7:09 PM
Motivated Penn
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree, I think the UFC should strongly consider moving away from their non-nonsense straight fighting image, and try to bring some other entertainment into it, such as using different commentators, setting the stage for more flamboyant entrances (Sakuraba, Sudo etc..), hyping fighters more than the brand etc.

They might THINK people tune in for anything broadcast under the UFC name, but there can be no doubt nobody cared or perhaps even KNEW about Chad Mendez or Dustin Poirier before their headlines.
5/28/12 7:15 PM
Wasa-B
286 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who's Burt?
5/28/12 7:19 PM
Synado
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasa-B - Who's Burt?

Someone who should have left mayhem alone.
5/28/12 7:22 PM
Calhoon

Wasa-B - Who's Burt?

The energetic old black man from the UFC. You hAve for sure seen him before at the weigh ins.
5/28/12 7:31 PM
diggity

Motivated Penn - I agree, I think the UFC should strongly consider moving away from their non-nonsense straight fighting image, and try to bring some other entertainment into it, such as using different commentators, setting the stage for more flamboyant entrances (Sakuraba, Sudo etc..), hyping fighters more than the brand etc.

They might THINK people tune in for anything broadcast under the UFC name, but there can be no doubt nobody cared or perhaps even KNEW about Chad Mendez or Dustin Poirier before their headlines.
This is a terrible idea dude, I don't want to get in to an argument but seriously think about what you're proposing. Does this make the difference between wwe clearer or more blurred? Will this go further to legitimize the sport or do the opposite? Will it make it easier to break in to the state of new York or more difficult? Will it open up a whole other world of possible bad press and negative publicity? Focus on the fights, treat the fighters decently, give them insurance and support (which is all happening as we speak) and don't get distracted by gimmicks. Maintain a solid business strategy and we all get to see great cards like we had on the weekend. I love this sport, for fuck sake I hope they don't destroy it with desperate gimmicks. I'm all for self expression and such, but to make it the norm means it gets boring and... Well you get the picture. Phone Post
chokeyou

Bert is a good guy and isnt the problem...

diggity

Wasa-B - Who's Burt?
Burt is a legend and should be respected. Phone Post
5/28/12 7:32 PM
MMALOGIC

Why dont you focus on your fitght instead of your freakin costume? 
5/28/12 7:40 PM
SuMBJJ

I don't like the way there's not set criteria for fighters being cut in the UFC.  Dan Hardy gets chance after chance... but Mayhem loses to a top 5 guy and loses a fight after he gets injured and he's cut automatically. 

It's not merit based, and it kinda sucks. 
5/28/12 7:43 PM
mmavixen
1112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Motivated Penn - I agree, I think the UFC should strongly consider moving away from their non-nonsense straight fighting image, and try to bring some other entertainment into it, such as using different commentators, setting the stage for more flamboyant entrances (Sakuraba, Sudo etc..), hyping fighters more than the brand etc.

I completely agree.  I think personalities like Mayhem should be enocuraged.  I don't mean to insult anyone, but does anyone remember someone like Jake Ellenberger at the weigh-ins?  The UFC needs to relax a little bit.  For example, I heard Herman wanted to come out to the "Circle of Life."  I think that's funny.  Even in the NFL and NBA they tolerate personalities like Ochocinco and Rodman, respectively.  If the UFC wants to attract more fans, individuality can only help, not hurt, IMHO.

5/28/12 7:57 PM
SleepBomb

did burt at least let mayhem do his trick or treating or did he take his candybag, too?
5/28/12 7:58 PM
BravoPUA
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
5/28/12 8:03 PM
BaraoKix

Motivated Penn - I agree, I think the UFC should strongly consider moving away from their non-nonsense straight fighting image, and try to bring some other entertainment into it, such as using different commentators, setting the stage for more flamboyant entrances (Sakuraba, Sudo etc..), hyping fighters more than the brand etc.

Whoa, whoa, whoa!! hold up...

You really think UFC will start to "hype" fighters more than their brand?

It will never happen.
5/28/12 8:06 PM
Rickson's Aura
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If mayhem truly wants to retire than that's cool, but if he's saying retirement because Dana has banished him, that's weak. Bellator would accept him with open arms. For those that say UFC needs to get away from the entertainment or wwe element, why don't u say that to your hero, Dana White? He's the same guy who brought in Lesnar, called the Wwe asking to meet Vince McMahon like a true fanboy. UFC can continue to enjoy it's low ratings and less than stellar buyrates.

For all the crap from Dana about Mayhem looking horrible which he did in the bisping fight he still won the first round of that fight.
5/28/12 8:07 PM
diggity

BaraoKix -

Whoa, whoa, whoa!! hold up...

You really think UFC will start to "hype" fighters more than their brand?

It will never happen.
Yep, give all the influence to the fighters and their managers- worked brilliantly for boxing.... Phone Post
5/28/12 8:10 PM
diggity

Rickson's Aura - If mayhem truly wants to retire than that's cool, but if he's saying retirement because Dana has banished him, that's weak. Bellator would accept him with open arms. For those that say UFC needs to get away from the entertainment or wwe element, why don't u say that to your hero, Dana White? He's the same guy who brought in Lesnar, called the Wwe asking to meet Vince McMahon like a true fanboy. UFC can continue to enjoy it's low ratings and less than stellar buyrates.

For all the crap from Dana about Mayhem looking horrible which he did in the bisping fight he still won the first round of that fight.
Huh? Dana my hero? Just don't want the greatest sport on earth to turn in to a circus and lose credibility. And Brock didn't do too badly when he came over, seems to me he was reasonably legit. Phone Post
5/28/12 8:10 PM
Masakatsu Funaki
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What it means is that MiddleEasy was intentionally misleading people once again.

This time attempting to besmirch someone's reputation in the process.

I hope we hear more about this to confirm, but Mayhem sounds 100% genuine in his explanation and I have no reason to doubt his word over that of a rumor mill that has been known to fabricate information in the past. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.