UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> RIP Pete Cosey, Miles Davis' mid-70's guitar hero

6/10/12 2:45 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
hugomma
834 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have mixed feelings about the vocals this piece, but I love Cosey & the piano here.

Yep, on the 1st two pieces, Cosey sounds like Fripp on 'roids, kind of like how he reminds me of Jimi on roids a lot of times.

Here's a link to the Rites/Stravinsky record: http://burntsugarindex.com/discography/the-rites-conductions-inspired-by-stravinskys-le-sacre-du-printemps/

If nothing else, it's more Cosey, which is never a bad thing.  But the music's interesting & deserves more exploration.
6/10/12 2:48 AM
hugomma
834 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here we go...don't have time to listen to this now, but it'll be a good one to put the MP3 YouTube converter to the test.  Enjoy...
6/10/12 10:55 AM
Ali
668 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That Burnt Sugar clip is really great -- the build that's gets going at 3 minutes, is really great, and the swarm of flesh eating bugs Cosey conjures up through about 3:35 (right before the first of the vocals you question) is something I wish would have gone on a whole lot longer Totally "Frippertronics" again a couple times (like 5:13 - 5:50 ish) but with some blues, still, and after these little two second swells that sound like nobody I can think of.

And you mention the piano -- which is mixed in a way that's really striking, with these repeated intervals that reminds me a bit of (sorry for this in advance) "The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys". Only I'm not tired of listening to this yet. (And the vocals certainly don't bother me any more than Winwood's, but that's another conversation!)

The Miles clip -- I'll have to gird up for an hour's worth... haven't gotten there yet.
6/10/12 11:06 AM
Ali
668 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Link to the Burnt Sugar site -- thanks tons, I didn't know that was available on the web either, and it gives much more detail about the records than I'd found before. There are only two recordings with Cosey -- the Stravinsky project and the one called "Black Sex Yall: Liberation & Bloody Random Violets".

I'm interested in the rest of them, too, anyway. But of course I was hoping there was a treasure-trove of Cosey stuff that, evidently, there isn't really.
10/14/12 12:33 AM
Majic Sam
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did not realize that Pete passed away.Such an inspired and brave musician.Love his playing on Water's Electric Mud.Wow.
10/14/12 6:43 PM
hugomma

Hey Sam, check out this link to a free download of Miles/Cosey "Lost 70's Sessions:

http://ajbenjamin2beta.blogspot.com/2006/10/miles-davis-lost-mid-1970s-sessions.html

Here's more Miles/Cosey related stuff to download, from the same blog:

http://ajbenjamin2beta.blogspot.com/search/label/Miles%20Davis

11/2/12 1:53 PM
hugomma

Hey Bros,

Found some Cosey on bassist Melvin Gibb's site.  This electornica/hip-hop/Santria chanting type shit isn't usually my cup of tea (unless it's Nils Petter Molvear or one of his guys), but this is pretty cool.  Skip to 1:52 if you wanna get to Cosey's facemelting awesomeness:

http://music.melvin-gibbs.com/track/canto-por-odudua-feat-pedrito-martinez-and-pete-cosey

Here is the entire album for sale: http://music.melvin-gibbs.com/album/ancients-speak

More Cosey might be worth it.

11/2/12 2:30 PM
hugomma

Edited: 11/02/12 5:06 PM

More Gibbs & Cosey, without chanting or anything.  This somewhat along the lines of mid-70's Miles:

http://music.melvin-gibbs.com/track/petes-mojo-feat-pete-cosey

Here's the album link: http://music.melvin-gibbs.com/album/phree-dem-downloads

John Medeski, of Medeski, Martin, & Woods is on keyboards.  

BTW, this track's only $1, & the rest is available via free download.

11/3/12 12:24 AM
Ali

Bitchin! I didn't know of the Gibbs site. I will point out however, that there's a reason "Pete's Mojo" should should sound familiar. Made me think of someone who wrote something about a "face-eating" solo. (See p. 1 of this thread, from late May....)
11/5/12 8:36 PM
Majic Sam
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Melvin is a very bad man.IMO,he saved the Rollin's band from some fairly mediocre output,and I DIG Henry.
11/5/12 11:58 PM
Ali

Edited: 11/06/12 12:06 AM
I think the last record with Weiss was the best Rollins... not to say Melvin was not an improvement, but the songwriting had peaked.

Listen to Melvin on the most recent tune -- as of this moment -- posted on the RSJ thread, "Mystery at Dawn". It's probably about to be come the second-most recent or so. On that tune, at least I think it's Melvin -- there were two bassists on that record, a fretless (Rev. Bruce Johnson) and fretted (Melvin Gibbs). That's most of all about Shannon, but the bass is just so beautiful. Really carries the emotion.
11/6/12 5:17 PM
hugomma

Ali - Bitchin! I didn't know of the Gibbs site. I will point out however, that there's a reason "Pete's Mojo" should should sound familiar. Made me think of someone who wrote something about a "face-eating" solo. (See p. 1 of this thread, from late May....)

Whoops...forgot about that one.  Thanks for pointing it out.

Wondering if I should try contacting Melvin to see if he's got any more Cosey.  Who knows what'll happen...

11/7/12 11:35 AM
Ali

Do it... I'm always scared of coming off like "you're pretty good, but there's this guy you used to play with.... you have any of *his* stuff?"

Just have to word it better, I guess!
11/8/12 1:03 AM
hugomma

Remember how I said I wish Cosey would've done an acoustic blues album?  This Philip Cohran album is a close we'll ever get to that.

11/8/12 3:16 AM
Ali

You did it again. No idea about Philip Cohran until just now. That's cool as hell. (Can't decide if I dig the vinyl crackle, though....)
11/8/12 10:25 AM
hugomma

Ali - You did it again. No idea about Philip Cohran until just now. That's cool as hell. (Can't decide if I dig the vinyl crackle, though....)

I kind of like the vinyl crackle.  It gives that an authentic pre-WWII sound, like a Robert Johnson record or something.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.