UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Analyzing Fedor: The Striking of the Emperor

[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
5/31/12 1:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jack Slack
1765 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/04/12 9:10 AM

Hey guys,

I'm back from hiatus and officially setting up shop at BloodyElbow. Should be banging out pieces fairly regularly for BE and FGB. Fights gone by pieces I'll reproduce on here fully but can't do the same with BE stuff unfortunately!
      With the sad but also pleasing (from a fan's perspective) news that the great Fedor Emlianenko is retiring I wanted to write as much as I could about the man who has arguably had the greatest impact on my personal martial arts philosophies. It's been a while since I last wrote, so as always all feedback is much appreciated!

Cheers,
Jack

Fedor Emelianenko's storied career is coming to a close, and perhaps it is for the best. Watching the 230lbs Russian trade wild swings with Bigfoot Silva was a sad affair. Fedor has declined, and noticeably so, and is not utilizing the full skill set he owns anymore. It is safe to assume that on any given day, Fedor Emelianenko could knock any man in the world unconscious - such is the nature of his ungodly punching power. Unfortunately, this is not what made Fedor great. Fedor's career was never about the chance of a knockout and it was never about his punch - he garnered only a handful of KO victories up until his meeting with Sylvia (the start of his decline into a one dimensional brawler). Fedor's strength lay in having the best rounded game at heavyweight, and being close to the best in all disciplines, not in any one attribute.

Emelianenko came to dominance under the banner of the greatest fighting spectacle on earth - the PRIDE Fighting Championships. Having posted a phenomenal record against mixed competition in the lesser Japanese promotion RINGS, Fedor was brought in to act as a 'gimme' to then number 2 heavyweight Heath Herring. In his destruction of Herring, followed by his humiliation of Nogueira from the latter's vaunted guard, Fedor showed a viciousness and science in ground and pound that has not been seen since. Following a streak of victories over legitimate threats, Fedor was finally matched against the other member of PRIDE's heavyweight trinity - Mirko "Cro Cop" Filopovic. Fedor really turned heads by beating the Croation kickboxing monster senseless on the feet.

Fedor's arsenal of techniques was enormous, and this may be the last chance we have to discuss them while he is in the news. So to make it easier on the brain this series will be divided into three parts - Stand up, Ground and Pound, and Grappling. In Ground and Pound we will look at the techniques that made Fedor so dangerous in even the best guards developed to date, while in Grappling we will discuss Fedor's takedowns, trips, and submissions. In this article however, we will discuss my forte, stand up technique.

We will look in some depth at Emelianenko's utilization of:

• Russian Hooks

• Hand Traps

• Off Balancing

• Body Work

• Kicks

Fair warning - the article is over 3000 words.

Continues with a TON of gifs here

EDIT: Part 2 is now up and can be read at:
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/6/3/3059390/analyzing-fedor-revolutionizing-ground-and-pound 

5/31/12 1:57 PM
Jack Slack
1765 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT
5/31/12 2:15 PM
nhbguy
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jack, I just read this article over at Bloodyelbow and I was about to link it myself. Outstanding analysis, and a must read for any mma fan, whether you're a fan of Fedor or not.
5/31/12 2:18 PM
Smith1234
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

for later
5/31/12 2:18 PM
SnapLocally
254 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

4 later

Thanks! 
5/31/12 2:21 PM
The Mongoose
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub!!

Great articles I'm excited Phone Post
5/31/12 2:27 PM
truthisalive
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow that article was so impressive it made me log in for the first time in like 7 months. Just blown away by that breakdown of the greatest fighter in MMA. Man, Ill be reading that multiple times with goosebumps...great, great work.
5/31/12 2:28 PM
Jack Slack

nhbguy - Jack, I just read this article over at Bloodyelbow and I was about to link it myself. Outstanding analysis, and a must read for any mma fan, whether you're a fan of Fedor or not.

Thanks man. I'd been defending Fedor for years, then I remembered that I used to really not like him!

I was a Cro Cop fan until I saw Fedor demolish him. Then I started watching Fedor's fights and his techniques and skill made me like him.

I kind of wanted to try to show some of the rabid fans and haters why I started to think Fedor is the best MMA fighter to date, rather than argue about numbers and ranks. I said a couple of years ago that I'd stop watching MMA when Fedor retires - I almost certainly won't (wouldn't help me career in fight writing!) - but that is how unique I find him.
5/31/12 2:32 PM
thats g
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thanks, great read.
5/31/12 2:35 PM
Jack Slack

truthisalive - Wow that article was so impressive it made me log in for the first time in like 7 months. Just blown away by that breakdown of the greatest fighter in MMA. Man, Ill be reading that multiple times with goosebumps...great, great work.

Man that means a lot, thanks!
5/31/12 2:57 PM
Posty Magee
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PLEASE EVERYONE:
read everything and anything by Jack Slack.
He puts great care and tremendous effort into his breakdowns and I find them illuminating in a way rare among pieces of fight writing.

(your southpaw series really helped me open my game up, brother. Thank you.)
5/31/12 3:02 PM
Sylaarr
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

4 later. Phone Post
5/31/12 3:09 PM
ThinkMMA
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Outstanding Jack!!! Great read. I really hope we see more from The Last Emperor in the future.
5/31/12 3:10 PM
Silhouette
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

always love your articles

here is a video of another thing Fedor did better than anybody (as you mention in your article)and maybe you could also break down as well.

Fedor's striking to clich/trips/throws, it made his striking so much more effective IMO
5/31/12 3:13 PM
Jack Slack

Silhouette - 

var so = new SWFObject("http://www.youtube.com/v/ScS9RnQwCxE", "postVideo-39571677-Flash", "425", "355", "9.0.28", "##000"); so.addParam("allowScriptAccess", "samedomain"); so.addParam("allowNetworking", "internal"); so.addParam("wmode", "transparent"); so.write("postVideo-39571677"); always love your articles

here is a video of another thing Fedor did better than anybody (as you mention in your article)and maybe you could also break down as well.

Fedor's striking to clich/trips/throws, it made his striking so much more effective IMO
Part 2 is going to be ground and pound.

Part 3 will be throws and grappling! Fedor's punch and clutch is brilliant!

5/31/12 3:13 PM
Jack Slack

Edited: 05/31/12 3:13 PM
Double
5/31/12 3:14 PM
Silhouette
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^awesome i look forward to it
5/31/12 3:18 PM
Jack Slack

Posty Magee - PLEASE EVERYONE:
read everything and anything by Jack Slack.
He puts great care and tremendous effort into his breakdowns and I find them illuminating in a way rare among pieces of fight writing.

(your southpaw series really helped me open my game up, brother. Thank you.)

Thank you so much sir! =)
5/31/12 3:19 PM
DamnSevern
1192 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jack Slack - Part 2 is going to be ground and pound.

bigfoot cain  reminded me of fedor nog

great article jack

5/31/12 3:20 PM
Deepy
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You write the best technical articles on mma. I find them very interesting and a refreshing read. It's nice to really get such an in-depth analysis of a fighter.
5/31/12 3:23 PM
Bobby Lupo
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well done. This is the kind of thing where you can say "MMA Journalism" without snickering.
5/31/12 3:43 PM
Jack Slack

Bobby Lupo - Well done. This is the kind of thing where you can say "MMA Journalism" without snickering.

Haha thank you man!

If BloodyElbow were allowed to use Zuffa gifs I could do dozens of these. Could do any fighter or event thinkable. It's just that we're not allowed to use the gifs ='(
5/31/12 4:18 PM
ya
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great piece, thanks.
5/31/12 4:24 PM
ranier wolfcastle
987 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i like to think i know a ton about fighting, but i read that and now feel like i dont know shit
5/31/12 4:30 PM
UGCTT_LnPninja
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ranier wolfcastle -  i like to think i know a ton about fighting, but i read that and now feel like i dont know shit

This indeed.

Only skimmed the beginning (at work) but weel fucking done Jack.
[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.