UnderGround Forums

Hawai'i Underground >> you know, there are still GOOD ROCK BALLADS

6/3/12 4:08 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
FCTV808
254 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

take "bleed" by hot chelle rae for example. dang.
6/3/12 5:45 PM
Moke
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That guy has got some pretty nice vocal range. But I think I know what KC is talking about. Old school rock ballads were done by grisly genuine rock stars momentarily showing their heart, so it had that much more impact. When it comes from these soft modern emo dudes who are always whining anyways, you're like, "Hey! Shut up!"

That said, nice song, good voice.
6/3/12 11:23 PM
FCTV808
254 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

oh yeah, well what about TRAPT?
6/5/12 5:42 AM
Moke
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is how it's done...

6/5/12 6:51 AM
MOB U2
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Moke - Old school rock ballads were done by grisly genuine rock stars momentarily showing their heart, so it had that much more impact.

Sensitive Vikings. The only new rock ballads I've listened to for the past five/six years now come from this guy. Zakk Wylde.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MThwypq_ARo&feature=related

Other than that I'm with Moke. Since we on Coverdale, fucking watch his set acoustically. Here's my fave: SAILING SHIPS!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5QKBmBAxQk

Tis sad when you say Nancy and Ann Wilson have more balls than these "men".
6/5/12 12:59 PM
FCTV808

so rock bands like journey that specialized in the ballad wouldn't count?
6/5/12 5:08 PM
Moke

Of course Journey counts!!! Guys like them and REO Speedwagon practically invented that shit...plus they knew how to rock their balls off too.
6/5/12 5:14 PM
Moke

Here's something interesting...Adrian Vandenberg was the guitarist for that era of Whitesnake and was as responible for their sound as Coverdale. He used to have a band called Vandenberg many years previously. As you can see, he had already mastered the art of the power ballad before bringing those skills to Whitesnake.

6/5/12 5:27 PM
Moke

Nice find MOB U2...Coverdale is the better singer than Plant...that's right, I said it.

6/5/12 5:45 PM
FCTV808

we're not worthy?
6/5/12 8:27 PM
Moke

Dang, KC busting out supah old school.

6/5/12 8:44 PM
Moke

Edited: 06/05/12 8:50 PM
I forgot to mention above, that Adrian Vandenberg was fired after recording for the Whitesnake album and John Sykes took over and ended up writing/re-recording the vast majority of the tracks. Sykes is awesome and has a very unique style that probably had more to do with the sound of that album than anything or anyone...aside from it's production...it was over-produced imo (Bob Rock), but still a great album nonetheless.

John Sykes also has a great voice and is the lead singer as well as covering all guitars when playing in his own band Blue Murder, which has some great material.
6/5/12 9:16 PM
Moke

Edited: 06/05/12 9:26 PM
I bring you a Blue Murder ballad...I LOVE how Sykes uses Tony Franklin on fretless bass. It has a very signature awesome sound in the right hands. This tune is unique in that the chorus and ballad part of the song doesn't really start until about 2:20 in.

6/5/12 11:02 PM
MOB U2
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Point taken FCTV. My bad - I should never be so musically bigoted towards others musical tastes.

Not my thing though that's all.

@ Moke, yeah I've followed them for a while. Though I love all of the guitar players of Whitesnake, I really loved Vai (since he was the guy on the first album I got from them - Slip of the Tongue), but tis true that Vandenberg and Sykes should get more of the credit. I remember the Vandenberg band as well - him and his PINK guitar! I shouldn't though b/c I was so young but I had a thing for buying old $4.99 tapes in those Woolworth bins.

I hate to say that too but yeah I like Coverdale over Plant anyday, but then again I guess for some it's like who's better - Halford or Dickinson - for me there is no choice - you take em both no questions asked!

I am forever jealous that my cousin saw Whitesnake a few times.

But as for ballady stuff, it's still guys I grew up with that are still rocking. Any of you guys still listen to 80s guitar wizard Richie Kotzen? This one is 2006.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14aNUK9rn04

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.