UnderGround Forums

Hunting & Fishing Ground >> Pheasants without dogs?

6/4/12 1:50 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
NonIntervention
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm pklanning to hunt some Western WA Pheasant release sites without a dog this year? Any tips? At this point I'm just hoping another hunter with a dog takes pity on me and lets me join in.
6/12/12 2:38 PM
NonIntervention

If I wait to aquire my own dog that means zero hunting without a guide until probably 2020.
6/12/12 3:43 PM
Blue Duck
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not familiar w/ Western WA, but if it is like everywhere else I have hunted pheasants you're going to have a hard time finding the birds in the first place. And even if you knew exactly where the birds were, they're likely going to run off as you approach and before you're in gun range. You're gonna need a pair of track shoes my friend.

Do you have to pay to hunt there? If so, maybe offer to also pay for someone who has a dog to go with you. Two people and a nice dog can give the birds hell. There would be no shortage of guys in the retriever clubs I've belonged to who would love to go with you on a put and shoot pheasant hunt if you were payin'.
6/18/12 4:30 PM
NonIntervention

All the birds here are released in small designated release areas by the WDFW. It's about as close to put and shoot as possibel with public funds. If you hunt the eastern half of the state it's very differnt with wide open spaces.

Western WA will cost you $40 for 3 days. Eastern is included with your small game license.

I've read that in small relase areas like that you can walk along the wooded edge and the birds will often fly up and into the woods instead of just running through the tall grass and never taking flight.

I don't know anyone who has tried it though.
6/18/12 5:01 PM
Blue Duck
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds like it might be worth the effort then.

You may want to send an e-mail to the lady who owns this kennel: http://www.windriverlabs.com/ She lives in Ephrata, WA. Since her place looks like a desert I'm guessing that's considered western WA. She's super-nice, a dog trainer and avid hunter, and I bet she'd be real helpful to you. I bought a lab puppy from her 10 years or so ago. Tell her John from FL recommended you email her.
6/19/12 2:23 PM
NonIntervention

Thanks John. I'll keep her info. I have two useless Great Danes right now so getting a third dog is out of the question for a while.

Western WA is generally considered the 30% or so of the state where it is rainy 365 days a year. I know that doesn't make sense from a distance oriented perspective.
6/20/12 6:27 PM
rummy
254 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NonIntervention, be careful hunting some of those release sites.  You have a good chance of running into some knuckleheads in the ones close to the city (Duvall/Carnation).  It's been a few years since I've gone to one but i believe you can find the release days on line and it's better/safer to hit them during the week.
6/21/12 1:21 PM
NonIntervention

rummy - NonIntervention, be careful hunting some of those release sites.  You have a good chance of running into some knuckleheads in the ones close to the city (Duvall/Carnation).  It's been a few years since I've gone to one but i believe you can find the release days on line and it's better/safer to hit them during the week.

They usually release every Saturday. On the larger sites it's wednesday too.

and yeah I'm a little scared that some douche might shoot me.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.