UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Melendez: I'm happy in Strikeforce

6/6/12 9:35 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1197 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

“As of now I’m just going to have to deal with the criticism,” Melendez said. “I’m damned if I do, damned if I don’t in my situation right now. I don’t even want to preach that I’m the number one fighter in the world anymore. I just want to go do my thing in Strikeforce, and if somehow that opportunity comes up where I can prove it and fight some of the top talent, then I’m definitely up for it. But as of now, I’m going to be doing my thing here. I’m happy with Strikeforce and I’m happy with Showtime overall. Just sometimes you want different talent, but I’m happy overall.”

At times it has looked as if Melendez would make the jump to the UFC. For now, though, his home is Strikeforce

“It’s tough, man, but right now at least I know I’m going to be in Strikeforce,” he said. “It was a little more tough when you think you might be going and you don’t know what’s going on. You have hopes. You have mixed emotions. Now I know I’m in Strikeforce and I know what I’m dealing with. I’m going to be up for my next fight. I’m going to be up for it.”

read entire article...

6/6/12 9:36 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UGCTT_LnPninja
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6/6/12 9:37 AM
ABE FROMAN

After that last fight with Thompson I can't say that I blame him.
6/6/12 9:40 AM
Paperclip Willy

I'm not.

I want to see you in the big show.

Stay healthy!
6/6/12 9:40 AM
Bloody Pregnancy Fluids
184 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

THOMPSON WON.
6/6/12 9:42 AM
Dollawaysdoodoobutter
268 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6/6/12 9:49 AM
Carne de cavalo é o melhor
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I'm happy in Strikeforce.
*AHEM*
I said I am happy in Strikeforce!"

Ka- Ching!!! Phone Post
6/6/12 10:00 AM
SupesUp
131 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You have to think it's a money thing, worried what could happen to his value with loss. It's really tough to say where he sits in the division but I'm definitely disappointed to hear he wants to stay there.
I could assume nate rising up the ranks in the division could have to do with his reluctance also. Phone Post
6/6/12 10:17 AM
MMALOGIC

Edited: 06/06/12 10:43 AM
 I think Josh Thompson beat a little reality into him that maybe he isnt the best LW in the world... and maybe it is better being a bigger fish in a smaller pond.

6/6/12 10:20 AM
French Fries Malone
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the top ten LW in the ufc will take this kids lunch money and he knows it!!
6/6/12 10:37 AM
Whambo
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Big fish in a small pond. Also it gives Militech the chance to go against the UFC by claiming Melendez is the #1 LW, and if you disagree with him you're simply a Zuffa shill who hasn't fought like he has, so your opinion is shit.
6/6/12 11:13 AM
Brian Littlefield

MMALOGIC -  I think Josh Thompson beat a little reality into him that maybe he isnt the best LW in the world... and maybe it is better being a bigger fish in a smaller pond.

6/6/12 11:35 AM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Josh Thomson is a tough fight for almost anyone, so underrated, when healthy which is his biggest issue in his career the guy can beat anyone

People who use Josh as an example to knock Gil are silly
6/6/12 11:46 AM
studiocamp
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He knew where the best LW fighters were and chose to stay away from them.
6/6/12 11:52 AM
Keith Kizers Boots

willienugget - I'm sure Gil wants to be in the UFC. Since that just isn't going to happen for three more fights, it doesn't do him any good to think about that right now.

If anything, I think he learned that you can't just ho-hum your way through even marginal talent.

Spot on.
6/6/12 11:53 AM
Keith Kizers Boots

liquidrob - Josh Thomson is a tough fight for almost anyone, so underrated, when healthy which is his biggest issue in his career the guy can beat anyone

People who use Josh as an example to knock Gil are silly

This too.
6/6/12 11:54 AM
Chris27

MMALOGIC -  I think Josh Thompson beat a little reality into him that maybe he isnt the best LW in the world... and maybe it is better being a bigger fish in a smaller pond.

Could be.

WHat I didnt like about Gilbert is that he said he couldnt get up fort his fight, wasnt motivated to run and train.

Like you claim to be the best LW, you want UFC to bring you over, you want to make a statement to the world that you are the true king of the LW div and it dont matter who I fight, where I fight, I'm gonna run over dudes.

Especially in this fight, a trap fight, everyone knew this was a trap fight, thats when you should be at your best and he said he couldnt get motivated?

6/6/12 12:22 PM
Elias Cepeda
184 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Both Thomson and Melendez are some of the very best lightweights in the world. Sorry to shock folks that have just been watching MMA for the last year or two.
6/6/12 12:27 PM
epwar
599 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6/6/12 12:49 PM
Smith1234
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/06/12 12:53 PM
ABE FROMAN -  After that last fight with Thompson I can't say that I blame him.

This is exactly what I thought when I read title. Glad he isn't trying to say he is best in the world anymore, too.

Also, he has to be looking at what happened to Jake and Nick.

Jake - the whole team always said he is our best fighter. They don't say that anymore. He went from top 2-3 in the divsion to immediately looking terrible against Kampmann, gassing horribly, looking not top-10 and winning a debatable split decision. Then the laughable standup against GSP, coasting to a shutout loss and not really going for the TD, then the quick KO loss.

Nick's fall has not reached the level of Jake's. He couldn't get his stuff together for a HUGE GSP fight, but he did look amazing against BJ. And getting outpointed by Condit is not good. His standing has come down a notch or two since coming to UFC.

I think Melendez would be quickly washed out of the top 5 to lower top 10 in UFC.
6/6/12 1:42 PM
goku

someone prolly talked to him from showtime..he was making his org seem like shite
6/6/12 1:53 PM
SickEyeDiaz
427 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He can say he's happy a million times but it's simply not true. I don't know about the rest of the UFC LW's but he's not better than Nate, no way. Phone Post
6/6/12 1:56 PM
UrbanSavage

Smith1234 - 
ABE FROMAN -  After that last fight with Thompson I can't say that I blame him.

This is exactly what I thought when I read title. Glad he isn't trying to say he is best in the world anymore, too.

Also, he has to be looking at what happened to Jake and Nick.

Jake - the whole team always said he is our best fighter. They don't say that anymore. He went from top 2-3 in the divsion to immediately looking terrible against Kampmann, gassing horribly, looking not top-10 and winning a debatable split decision. Then the laughable standup against GSP, coasting to a shutout loss and not really going for the TD, then the quick KO loss.

Nick's fall has not reached the level of Jake's. He couldn't get his stuff together for a HUGE GSP fight, but he did look amazing against BJ. And getting outpointed by Condit is not good. His standing has come down a notch or two since coming to UFC.

I think Melendez would be quickly washed out of the top 5 to lower top 10 in UFC.

What happened to Jake and Nick? You mean like Jake beating Kampmann, the guy who has wins over Condit and Ellenberger who is probably going to be fighting for the interim belt? Shit, Jake already beat Condit himself. His fight against GSP wasn't a shutout the way all of GSP's past recent fights had been, in fact Jake was the one to put an end to his streak of winning however many consecutive rounds it had been when he won the last two with his "laughable standup" as you put it. He got dropped early against Ellenberger, that can happen to anyone at WW. I won't even bring up the fact that his dad had just died a few weeks prior and the role that played.

Jake wanted to go to the UFC at MW but they made him cut back down to WW because GSP needed more contenders at the time which undoubtedly hurt his performances. The guy was coming off wins over Lawler, Mayhem and Hendo at MW using the extra mass he had packed on and they made him cut back down to WW which fucked his game all up. Now he's going back to MW where his takedowns are better, his performances don't suffer because of the huge weight cut and he generally matches up against the rest of the division far better.

Nick's fall has not reached the level of Jake's? What does that mean exactly, what fall? You mean how he put the worst beating on Penn anyone ever has, a guy who was coming of a KO win over Hughes and a draw to the at the time #2 WW? You can say GSP did more, but he had a fourth round to work with while Nick didn't. You say Nick getting outpointed against Condit was not good, when in reality he went up against someone who finishes basically all of his opponents and always fights aggressively and he made him run away from him for 5 rounds trying to outpoint him. Most fans who know what they're watching gave 3 or 4 rounds to Nick in that fight and anyone who has spent a significant amount of time training Muay Thai knows how ineffective Condit's kicks were.

If you want to mention Jake and Nick as reasons Gil doesn't want to come over, you have to talk about Nate because he's the other LW and the guy Gil has been sparring with for years. You think Gil doesn't know where he stands in the division? He already beat Guida and he trains with the guy who has the best BJJ at LW in the UFC and the best boxing as well.

Nate's the number one contender and Gil trains with him all the time, but you think that Jake and Nick are the reasons that he's now happy in Strikeforce? It couldn't just be him coming to terms with the fact that he's stuck there a bit longer regardless of what he says or does so he's trying to make the best of it? Like he said, before they were telling him shit like he might be coming to the UFC or they might be bringing guys over for him so it was hard to get ready for a third fight with Thomson instead when those things didn't pan out. Now that he knows what the deal is, he'll prepare accordingly.
6/6/12 2:19 PM
Hate420
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6/6/12 2:53 PM
studiocamp
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Elias Cepeda -  Both Thomson and Melendez are some of the very best lightweights in the world. Sorry to shock folks that have just been watching MMA for the last year or two.

If you consider top 20 fighters in their weight class as some of the very best then you are correct. Melendez had a chance last year to sign with the UFC, and CHOSE Strikeforce. He knows where the top fighters are, which is why he flaps his gums about them. Look at Strikeforce's LW roster at the time and look at the UFC's.

You can't call guys who avoid the big show as the best in the world.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.