UnderGround Forums

GolfGround >> how to tell if your driver is dead?

6/9/12 11:35 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
The Elastic Assassin
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i own 2 becasue i am certain my firs one (big bertha steel head) is dead it served me well...

i now have a titleist....an older one but newer than the steel head...its not the newer "third graders head on a stick" sized that most sissies play nowadays, but its alright...

the shaft on my newer one is 1/2" shorter (i got it off of ebay that way) and i find it easier to control but i wonder if the face is dead....how does one test this without destroying the driver?
6/11/12 9:07 AM
Animal Chin
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you really should dump those and get something more up to date to take advantage of newer technology. look into the g15 or r11. they're a couple of years old, but still very good sticks and you can get them on the cheap.
6/11/12 9:18 AM
The Elastic Assassin
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

meh, the new shit is like cheating....its for old people and women.....
6/11/12 9:24 AM
Animal Chin
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

or tour players and people shooting lower scores than you.
6/11/12 9:59 AM
The Elastic Assassin

yes like i said women and old people....lol....
6/11/12 10:07 AM
Animal Chin

maybe you should try some hoylakes and featheries sinces it comes so easy with the new equipment. i have some hoylakes you could use, but you'd have to come up with the featheries. i'm sure there's a company out there somewhere that still makes them.
6/11/12 10:14 AM
The Elastic Assassin

if the equipment helps THAT much wtf is th fun in that?...i hit it plenty long....i am not averse to new gear but i am just a recreational golfer....sure i want to improve but i think my swing and the consitency thereof is probably a bit more important than geting 10 more yards on my drive.....

with that said i do want to make sure the equipment i do have is working properly....

and yes i am a bit old school i have one fairway wood (a 5 wood i never use) and i carry a one iron....you know for when the lightining starts...
6/11/12 10:34 AM
Animal Chin

The Elastic Assassin - if the equipment helps THAT much wtf is th fun in that?

the ONLY way that is a valid point is if you're shooting in the high 50's/low 60's every time you tee it up. i highly doubt it, but if so, you should play for a living.

seriously, get some new shit.
6/11/12 10:56 AM
The Elastic Assassin

well the $$$ is takes to get new shit is not proportional to teh improvement i will see....i feel better yelling, cursing and throwing my older stuff than i woudl a new $300 driver....

so you are saying if i have a terrible swing and a horendous short game i should just go buy new shit?...

i have a decent but inconsistent swing and a short game that can some days border on fucking brilliant which makes the days it isn;t maddending as fuck....
6/11/12 11:09 AM
Animal Chin

no, i'm saying either get some newer shit, that's used, for cheap, or don't worry about the condition of your old shit.

if you have a terrible swing, go get lessons.
6/11/12 11:19 AM
The Elastic Assassin

lol my swing is pretty decent...or so i've been told....
6/11/12 11:20 AM
Animal Chin

then get some new shit.
6/11/12 11:30 AM
The Elastic Assassin

but i may not eneed new shit...hence the creation of the thread...
6/11/12 11:51 AM
Animal Chin

yes you do. your ego just won't let you.
6/11/12 12:20 PM
The Elastic Assassin

well there is the money thing i mentioned.....yes i will admit my ego is a part of it....give me some credit i at least went to a graphite shaft on my driver....my steel head is also a steel shaft....

i like my driver....i just want to know how to tell when its dead....

is it wrong that i think going with a space station on a stick is kind of like giving up?....i don;t think i am alone in that thinking...

will a new driver improve my game?...i've hit them i don;t see it.....its just a more expensice "power fade" than what i have right now...
6/17/12 10:59 PM
Animal Chin

Just go find a demo day in your area. You can test out all kinds of shit. Do not feel like you have to buy anything. Those guys just want you to hit their shit and that's all.
6/17/12 11:15 PM
Bad Monkey
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/17/12 11:28 PM
  http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/callaway-golf-ftiz-imix-driver.html 

Get a "new" adjustable driver that's two years old for a bill.

And if you don't get a new driver, everyone at the course is going to laugh at you. 

On a more serious note, can a driver go dead if it isn't cracked?  Or is that what you're talking about, a small crack that you can't see?

Anyways, I would go to a golf store that has a trackman launch monitor or something of the sort, and hit a few to get some real data that isn't subjective.  If you can't get your smash factor over 1.45, shitcan that relic.  While you're there, swing a couple of new drivers and see if you get better results, or if it really is just a more expensive "power fade"
6/19/12 8:45 PM
Steve W
99 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've upgraded to an R11s. I still have a great R5 if you're interested. I'd sell it for probably like $50 bucks. or less.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.