UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Travis Stevens semi-final @ Rio about to start....

6/10/12 3:17 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Seong gyeong
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Didn't realize until now that the Rio Grand Slam has been going on this weekend.

You can watch it using the Judo TV link on the right hand side of the main IJF.org page.
6/10/12 4:05 PM
Seong gyeong
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great display of newaza, Stevens wins by ippon.
6/10/12 5:07 PM
Jumbo Reverse Shrimp
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nunes was robbed.
6/10/12 5:23 PM
Jumbo Reverse Shrimp
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like the commentator. "You've got to have a little bit more about you than that."
John Coffey handling it.
6/10/12 5:46 PM
Jumbo Reverse Shrimp

Stevens was robbed.
6/10/12 5:58 PM
Seong gyeong

Jumbo Reverse Shrimp -  Stevens was robbed.

6/10/12 8:27 PM
judoblackbelt
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I watched Steven's first 2 fights he won with his standing seionage and uchimata. I missed his next 2 fights which I hope to see on the Greek judo website later. I heard this was a tuneup ater a layoff from a hamstring injury. But his foot looked heavy taped also. How bad is that injury? Anyone know? A true warrior to push through all these injuires.
6/10/12 11:40 PM
OCJudoTrngCtr
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I question the sanity of the IJF having a Grand Slam event so close to the Olympic Games.

There were a total of 116 athletes in the 14 categories.  Brazil was 54 of those entries. First place was worth 300 points.  The competition level was not higher than your average World Cup.

The USA is experiencing a significant decline in the quality of their B & C level tournaments as well.  The best judo athletes from the USA don't show up for them.  Can't say that I blame them given the amount of money they have to spend on World Cup and higher events.

The President's Cup this weekend was a very small affair, as it was last year.  The Senior Nationals were also very small in the Elite Categories, and certainly smaller than any other Olympic Year.  I believe the new qualification system is one of the biggest reasons for the drop off.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.