UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> KenFlo's goodbye to fighting

6/11/12 10:49 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1252 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

I have never been more scared then several years ago when I had to tell my loved ones that I was going to pretty much dedicate my life to the martial arts. This meant also informing my family that I would not attend law school, which was previously in my plans since high school.  It was a pretty controversial decision to say the least.  Even though there weren't defined career paths with this pursuit, it didn't matter to me. Being immersed in the martial arts was all I wanted to do.

Now I find it equally as difficult to say goodbye to a sport and lifestyle I loved. The reality is I have to retire. For the last several months I have tried repeatedly to return to my regular fight training schedule, but with little success.

Like most fighters I have battled injuries throughout my career. Plus, I have fought injured on several occasions.  Normally, I am dedicated to training 2-3 times per day all year round. However, this latest injury involving my back has been extremely difficult to deal with. For no explained reasons, I experience days of excruciating pain, which prevents me or significantly limits my training activities.

If I'm not able to physically maintain an active training schedule then I don't want to put myself at risk in the Octagon. Just as importantly, I would never enter a fight knowing that I didn't undertake the necessary training commitment and put on a subpar performance in front of UFC fans who are expecting my best.

As I enter this decision to retire from fighting, there are so many people I need to thank for the success I have enjoyed in my mma and UFC careers.

Literally every person I have ever trained with has taught me something. I will highlight a few of the many important trainers I have worked with. My first BJJ instructor Roberto Maia is responsible for allowing me to practice an art that I fell in love with from watching the Gracie family compete. He created a limitless fountain of BJJ of which I could drink from that brought me to train in Brazil with the famed Gracie Barra family and the many other BJJ practitioners I have come into contact with. I am forever grateful.

My brother Keith Florian was my first training partner and a person I have logged thousands of hours training, fighting, sweating and bleeding with. His guidance and passion was unmatched and he is and was my best study partner.

In just a few short years Firas Zahabi became like a family member. His approach to MMA is unlike any other. He is 1/3 philosopher, 1/3 scientist and 1/3 General. Jonathan Chaimberg & Kyle Holland are also responsible for showing me the next level of strength and conditioning. Peter Welch, my boxing coach and one of the toughest men I have ever met opened up a whole world of boxing to me. I would also like to thank John Danaher of Renzo Gracie NYC. His knowledge inspires.

My future plans include working hard on my role as a TV MMA analyst for Fuel TV, FX and Fox. I will also be opening up another Florian Martial Arts Center in the Los Angeles area and will devote more time to teaching BJJ and MMA in both Boston and LA. Another goal is to mentor and coach a few MMA professional fighters. 

My fighting career has really opened my eyes toward the many opportunities and ways in which we can enjoy healthier and more engaging lives. The world is filled with exciting possibilities. For KennyFlorian.com, I am developing a new blog format that explores people, places and things that can enrich us in a multitude  of ways. When this new format  is ready to be launched, I will update you.

I have to thank Dana White, the Fertitta brothers and the entire ZUFFA organization for allowing me to do what I love on the greatest stage in the world. Being with the UFC has done so much for me. In moving forward, I am fortunate to remain associated with them, working to promote this amazing organization and sport throughout the world. I will never forget that Dana and Craig Piligian took a big chance on a skinny kid from Boston to participate in the first season of The Ultimate Fighter.

I thank my management team.  Ron Weinberg who has been with me for several years, helping me with pretty much everything. Authentic Sports Management with Glenn Robinson, Jon Rubenstein and Neal Tabachnick have been so helpful and supportive, can't thank them enough.

To the great fans of this sport and to my fans, I want to thank you for all of the kind messages and letters I have received over the years. From my hometown in Boston, to my family's native Peru and to my fans all over the world, you always gave me such great support and love. Thank you, muchas gracias and muito obrigado.

I never want to be an old guy telling people how the MMA game used to be. I am going to keep studying it incessantly so I can tell you how it will be. MMA is my life.

Sincerely,

Kenny

6/11/12 10:52 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
CaptainWoody
365 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
6/11/12 10:53 AM
Elias Cepeda
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT
6/11/12 11:22 AM
felipebarbirato
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dude's never been in a boring fight as I can remember. Always respected and honored the martial arts. Always went for the finish, although always fighting smart. One of those guys that deserve respect, even though not being a champion with a belt, he always fought like one. True warrior!

Nothing but respect Kenny!

Abraço do Brasil

Felipe
6/11/12 11:25 AM
Sam Sheridan
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thank you Kenny. Look forward to seeing what you do next.
6/11/12 11:26 AM
Suppa24

ttt
6/11/12 11:27 AM
Garv
349 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RearNakedJoke.com, Nick Diaz's Supplier
Kenny's doing a great job on the mic, and gave us great fights in the cage.  He's the MAN!
6/11/12 11:28 AM
Bam57Bam
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Best of luck in the future Kenny.

Always came to fight. Phone Post
6/11/12 11:33 AM
DWTF

K-FLO DO MO YA KNOW YA CAN KO A' FELLOW IN A MELLOW JELLO
6/11/12 11:33 AM
Elias Cepeda
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Garv - Kenny's doing a great job on the mic, and gave us great fights in the cage.  He's the MAN!

6/11/12 11:37 AM
Doctor Kenneth Noisewater
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Best of luck Kenny! Looking forward to your commentating as I always did to your fights!! Phone Post
6/11/12 11:41 AM
mister_sticks
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mark Dellagrotte was not mentioned? Phone Post
6/11/12 11:44 AM
Jason
323 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Site Admin
 TTT. Mad Respect for Kenflo.

Maybe he will hit up the UG more now that he isn't training full time.
6/11/12 11:50 AM
TheHouse
220 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oss
6/11/12 12:10 PM
Another Foob
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Respect.
6/11/12 12:13 PM
UGCTT_Romophobia
214 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Always brought it!
Good luck Kenny!
Love your commentary.
6/11/12 12:18 PM
SLOtownG
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who wants to see fights finished at 155? I finish fights! Phone Post
6/11/12 12:21 PM
Ocean6
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thank you an RESPEK!

no de la Grotte?
6/11/12 12:27 PM
clattymine
568 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like that he was able to go out like this. It's always tough to watch a guy lose badly a few times, then go to smaller orgs only to lose there and then fade away entirely or pop up on regional events.

Respect. Phone Post
6/11/12 12:30 PM
disbeliever
467 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
Big fan here. Best of luck
6/11/12 12:30 PM
donnybrook
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kenny you are always a 100% class act. It has been such a pleasure watching your career. The first time you effortlessly neck cranked me and made me feel like my head was gonna pop off at Roberto's 1st gym I knew you were the real deal. The fight vs Drew at the Lido that Dana was at was epic, as was every one since. Looking forward to the great things you will continue to do for our sport!

Kevin MacDonald
6/11/12 12:31 PM
Blunderhooks
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All the best Kenny! Phone Post
6/11/12 12:35 PM
Deepy
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wish you all the best in your future endeavors. Thanks for all the great fights you put on.

Osu!!
6/11/12 1:53 PM
Chiron
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm sad to see Florian retire but I hope his future endeavors go well. Always been a fan and don't understnad how some people don't care for him. I really appreciate fighters who emphasize finishing fights over being content with winning on points and Kenny did that.

He had a good sense of humor with the whole Zoolander comparison too.

I know some don't care for him but I actually like the job he does as a commentator as well.

Good luck Kenny.
6/11/12 2:02 PM
bigson47

Always represented the Bean! Us Boston MMA fans love you KFlo! Look foward to hearing your commentary. Echoing what has been said here ...
Respect! Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.