UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> Emergency Food Storage in Car....

6/11/12 3:54 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TheHouse
212 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So I was sitting with a buddy the other day and we both were going through some emergency kit just to bounce ideas around. I keep a Get Home Bag in my car with the usual stuff. Batteries, fire starting preps, multitool, paracord, rain gear, first aid, some extra money, flashlights (Plural) and some other odds and ends. Anyway I also keep one un-opened MRE and a handful of energy bars, candy and whatnot.

Here is the question.

Its summer. Its getting hotter and hotter up here in new york. How do you guys keep that stuff in your vehicles during the day? I know it's an MRE so it should last plenty long but the temperature can get up to 100 degrees and a lot higher in a car parked in a parking lot. Other than rotating them out every couple weeks/months any tips to keep it from going bad?
6/11/12 7:30 PM
TheHouse
212 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone? Phone Post
6/12/12 12:42 AM
sourcheese
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

maybe granolla bars? I dont know. how hot do things get in a trunk?
6/13/12 8:19 AM
Redneck
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Put a thermometer in the trunk and see just how hot it gets. Then buy an ice box or something else with good thermal properties, stick it in the trunk and check the temperature inside the box. It should be significantly cooler than outside of the box.

Something like this is what i'm talking about.

•Manufactured from A grade U.V stable Polyethylene
•Thick polyurethane foam insulation injected under extreme pressure to the walls, lid and base –to provide thick insulation for great ice retention
•Quality Stainless steel latches Commercial Grade Thick E.V.A rubber seal
•U.V stable handles and hinges
•Extra thick skids on the bottom – no tags to tear off Lightweight, easy to clean smooth surfaces
•Food grade, high impact inner lining - for easy cleaning
6/13/12 8:21 AM
Redneck
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ you can buy them in many different sizes so there's no reason that you couldn't keep your get home bag in there as well, if you need to maximise space.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.