UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> Set ups

4/13/03 2:44 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
FJJ828
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Apr-03
NAPLES BRAZILIAN JIU JITSU L.L.C.

No, not the abdominal exercise. And not the tactical "set up" so that you can finish a technique. I mean the set up you use to show the tactical application, appropriateness and need for a particular drill or concept. Tony Blauer got me thinking about this with a post a while back. A fellow instructor was sharing valuable information at a LEO conference but was unable to connect with his audience because he had not properly "set up" the topic. I have found (thru trial and error)that the set up to be almost or just as important as the topic itself. Anyone with experiences about classes taking a nose dive due to lack of a proper "set up"?
4/14/03 4:40 PM
Tony Blauer

Edited: 14-Apr-03
Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
Fletch, In our trainer dev we refer to this as the INSERTION POINT, metaphorically speaking, how would you fastrope into the AO (the scenario problem) this is crucial in the fickle LE world. Not sure youll get a lot of 'opening up' here...who wants to talk about the nose-dive!! I will be launching our LEO/miliatry ONLY forum in the next couple of months, this would be a great theme, mentally archive it. TONy
4/14/03 6:43 PM
FJJ828

Thanks Tony. As you know, I teach DT monthly in my agency's inservice program and quite a bit of the weapon control/retention block is based on your information. I quickly found however, that without a proper set up, the scenario was not clear to everyone. They all had their own views of the problem and their own tactical priorities based on those views. Now I just take a little extra time during the demo phase to make sure everyone sees the same problem before I move on to the formula.
4/14/03 11:35 PM
Tony Blauer

You need to Fletch, it all comes back to the 'scenario' disctates all...you'd think others would intuit the creativity, but hey! thats what your job is for... T
4/15/03 11:25 AM
Eric Cobb

Edited: 15-Apr-03
Fletch: Tony speaks often of the "relative definition" of a topic - whether it's a drill, substance matter, mindset, etc. What he means is that we can only define something "relative" to our understanding of the subject at that moment. Unfortunately, mistaking our reality for THE reality is a dangerous thing sometimes... In other words, our substance matter expertise may not be the REAL substance. That being said, here's my take on your question... Being an excellent professional educator, motivator and trainer is a difficult job description. It requires a high degree of intuition, intelligence and true substance matter expertise. A problem we all have from time to time is teaching a class or seminar without substance in EVERY area. In other words, explaining the drill isn't the same as doing the drill, and inspiring trainees through a demo isn't the same as doing a drill with your regular training partners. As an example, many people watch Tony teach and latch on to their favorite concepts, jokes and stories. However, when they try to inject these things into their own classes, they often fall flat. Why? Because parroting information isn't the same as presenting information. It makes the information ring hollow because it lacks substance. Presenting is an organic process based on the group dynamic. You've obviously made the connection and decision to take the necessary time for the set-up. We all need to do that because unbelievably good information can be lost, disregarded and ignored if the presentation is somehow "off". Thanks for bringing this up. Eric
4/15/03 11:36 PM
FJJ828

Edited: 15-Apr-03
Thanks a lot Eric.
4/17/03 6:41 AM
Tony Blauer

Edited: 17-Apr-03
Good reframe Eric, now check out the the post titled: interesting quote. Ironic synchronicity :-) T

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.