UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> RIP 3X Olympic gold medalist Teofilo Stevenson

6/11/12 10:39 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1235 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Cuban boxer Teofilo Stevenson, the three-time Olympic heavyweight champion with a devastating right hand and a gentlemanly demeanor, has died. He was 60.

A sports official said Stevenson had a heart attack.

Considered by some to be the most accomplished amateur boxer in history, Stevenson first won gold in 1972 in Munich and followed that up in 1976 at Montreal.

In 1980, he won his third Olympic title in Moscow, becoming the second boxer to win gold at three separate games after Hungarian Lazlo Papp. Felix Savon, Stevenson's countryman, accomplished the feat in 2000.

Stevenson was forced to pass up a shot at a fourth Olympic gold when Cuba did not attend the 1984 Games in Los Angeles. He retired in 1988 after Cuba decided to skip the Seoul Olympics as well.

Known affectionately on the island by the nickname ''Pirolo,'' Stevenson was famous for his punishing right, polished technique, deft hand and footwork, and his sportsmanship.

Stevenson was born March 29, 1952, to a family of modest means, in Las Tunas province in eastern Cuba. He fought in his first match at the age of 14, and two years later won his first international title in the Central American and Caribbean championship.

As his accomplishments grew, boxing fans began salivating over the prospect of a ''fight of the century'' pitting him against Muhammad Ali. But Cuba insisted that he not lose his amateur status, and the bout never took place.

Stevenson passed up millions by not leaving Communist-run Cuba to turn pro, but expressed no remorse.

''I prefer the affection of 8 million Cubans,'' he once said.

In his later years, Stevenson served as vice president of Cuba's boxing federation and at the island's national sports institute. He had two children.

Read entire article...

6/11/12 10:43 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HELWIG
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RIP
6/11/12 10:45 PM
nowaydo
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When I was a kid, he was "it" in boxing. An amateur boxer most thought could give Ali a run for his money, but Castro would not let him turn pro.

RIP
6/11/12 10:53 PM
crowbar
785 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seemed like he was on top for about 20 years.

RIP
6/11/12 10:56 PM
sgotwalks
1355 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/11/12 10:56 PM
We missed out on one of the greatest potential matchups in boxing history when Ali and Stevenson could not meet in the ring. At least back then it was due to politics, real life politics at the highest level, not the petty boxing politics that robs the fans of great fights today. Sad day for true fight fans. 
6/12/12 2:16 AM
sgotwalks
1355 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTTeofilo Stevenson.
6/12/12 2:27 AM
Addo
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So many dream fights. RIP.
6/12/12 7:04 AM
MM-eh
804 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6/12/12 10:09 AM
ken amtrack

Adiós al legendario Teófilo Stevenson
6/12/12 10:16 AM
Garv
321 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RearNakedJoke.com, Nick Diaz's Supplier
 RIP.  Really wish we could have seen this guy as a pro.
6/12/12 10:19 AM
GNPfan
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had the pleasure of watching him fight Tyrell Biggs live when I was a kid. The dude was a legend and beat a lot of future HW champions and contenders.
6/12/12 11:57 AM
Kirik
1852 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground, Mayor for Life
GNPfan - I had the pleasure of watching him fight Tyrell Biggs live when I was a kid. The dude was a legend and beat a lot of future HW champions and contenders.

I'm jealous.

I know a guy who saw Ali Liston II in Lewiston. Haven't hung out with him in 30 years, and still jealous.
6/12/12 12:22 PM
buddie
270 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's one of the best olympians ever. In fact, I read that there was a preliminary agreement to have him fight with Ali in a best of series of 5, 3 round fights IIRC, allowing Teofilo to keep his amateur status. Never came to be obviously, but what a fight that would have been, two gold medalists with all time great skills, America vs Cuba!
6/12/12 12:30 PM
buddie
270 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To win 3 gold medals is so incredible, what a talent this guy was. He was miles more polished and smooth than Felix Savon.
6/12/12 12:31 PM
Gerbacio
627 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Descansa en Paz!!!!! Phone Post
6/12/12 2:00 PM
mmavixen
1111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gerbacio -  Descansa en Paz!!!!! Phone Post

6/13/12 1:45 AM
GNPfan
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik - 
GNPfan - I had the pleasure of watching him fight Tyrell Biggs live when I was a kid. The dude was a legend and beat a lot of future HW champions and contenders.

I'm jealous.

I know a guy who saw Ali Liston II in Lewiston. Haven't hung out with him in 30 years, and still jealous.

That's awesome! I would make him tell me about the experience every time I seen him, lol!!
6/13/12 1:51 AM
Seamus619

RIP :-( Phone Post
6/13/12 3:07 AM
GNPfan

So I got to thinking about when I seen Stevenson fight Biggs so I got out the fight program and apparently I had got some autographs that day that I had forgot about.

Teofilo Stevenson
Tyrell Biggs
Mark Breland
Michael Grogan

Parnell Whitaker fought that day but I didn't get his autograph.

My blue name ran out, so would a blue please post this image

http://i45.tinypic.com/2yzbvv9.jpg
6/13/12 3:43 AM
Chappie
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Best amatuer heavyweight that I ever saw, including Savon. It too bad that never competed as a professional, with his right hand, technical skills and toughness, he would have been tough to beat (although everyone thought that same thing about Mark Breland as well). I still laugh watching video of Stevenson's protege Savon destroying a cocky ass young Shannon Briggs. Phone Post
6/13/12 12:55 PM
buddie

Edited: 06/13/12 1:04 PM
Savon fought like George Foreman, power and size and less finesse. He would be a tough fight for anyone at any period and would have made a great pro cruiser. Teofilo was way smoother, and a better overall fighter IMO.

But if we are comparing across weight classes, to say the guy was better than Mark Breland? Hump, ...not convinced...
6/13/12 3:37 PM
bhealthy

RIP. he was 100% awesome

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.