UnderGround Forums

Hawai'i Underground >> It's about the Journey...

6/18/12 4:41 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Moke
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/08/12 12:05 AM

Specifically, old Journey. For me that's anything between '78 and '81...I saw them at Andrew's Amphitheater in '78...and to borrow a topic from another thread, it was the best concert I've ever seen in my life. Amazingly so, because it was outdoors, and it's hard to get great sound outdoors. They were on fucken FIRE and it sounded amazing.

6/18/12 4:44 AM
Moke
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/08/12 12:07 AM

6/18/12 4:46 AM
Moke

Edited: 06/18/12 4:47 AM
Needless to say, this is a GENUINE Journey thread. No Arnel necessary please. Mahalo for your kokua.

Actually I took my dad's Pentax 35mm to the show and took pics...I'll scan some in honor of this thread...brb.
6/18/12 5:07 AM
MOB U2
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My love of Journey is really because of Neal Schon's guitar playing. I used to have tapes of old Santana with Schon on there. I glad he left and did Journey. Neal and Steve Lukather were old 80s guitar players I liked.

Once when Journey was going to come to Hawaii with the other replacement Steve Augeri? I tried to get an old crush of mine from HS to go with me. She was all gung ho about it. Almost snagged her too, but I didn't know she married her dumb worthless HS love. So I just canned the whole thing altogether.

Now everybody's on the Journey train again, but man don't know why . . I just can't get into em now. I guess too much overexposure for me.
6/18/12 5:08 AM
sufferingsuckatash
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dude i knew you are old but damn you be ancient moke. how you stay in shape and keep that hair all plush and shit????
6/18/12 5:11 AM
Moke

Edited: 12/08/12 12:09 AM

Back in the day, at the end of the last set, if the bar was still nuts and rowdy and no one would go home even though it was closing time, we'd bust out this song to mellow out all the drunks.

6/18/12 5:27 AM
JIMMYNAKS
253 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't stop believin Moke. Hold on to that feeling. Phone Post
6/18/12 5:27 AM
Moke

Here's some pics I shot at Andrew's in '78

6/18/12 5:30 AM
Moke

sufferingsuckatash -  dude i knew you are old but damn you be ancient moke. how you stay in shape and keep that hair all plush and shit????

Heroin and whiskey mainly. Heroin keeps your hair lush and full, and whiskey turns back the clock.
6/18/12 5:40 AM
Moke

Edited: 06/18/12 5:42 AM
MOBU2, Neal Schon is one of my favorite guitarists ever. He's style is actually pretty unique but very soulful.

During the same era I happened to catch Foreigner and Heart at the Blaisdell (known as HIC at the time)...I wanted to bang Nancy Wilson then, and I want to bang her now.

6/18/12 5:41 AM
MOB U2
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Moke, what do you prefer to listen to - CD's or old tapes/vinyl of Journey?

I'm not an anti-digital person, but there are certain things (and not just b/c of nostalgia), that I prefer (b/c of that warm, compressed sound) to be on analog recordings. My old KISS, Thin Lizzy, and Judas Priests albums I prefer on tapes/vinyl.
6/18/12 5:44 AM
MOB U2

GREAT PICS BTW MOKE! And yeah I felt the same way about Wilson back in the day. But there is only one leddy rocker that I wanna bang and that's Susannah Hoff!
6/18/12 5:49 AM
Moke

MOB you bring up a sore topic with me...I think as time marches on, progress should...progress. Technology should keep getting better. But with music and sound reproduction this is not the case. It keeps going backwards.

The consistency and clarity of digital is fine, but much of what's there in analog sound is missing, and yes, much of it is in the punch low end and warmth. They make great subs and woofers these days, so everyone "thinks" everything sounds just fine. But it doesn't.

First CD's came out and they lacked. And now it's degraded to MP3 and worse, and yet people are totally used to it. It's completely acceptable for the masses now.

*cries*
6/18/12 1:23 PM
FCTV808
252 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

this is possibly the best thread the hg has ever seen.

holy fuck thx moke.
6/18/12 4:32 PM
Sgt. Slaphead
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

*unzips
6/18/12 6:06 PM
Moke

Also from that same summer...I was 14 and what a time. I watched REO Speedwagon develop sunburn before my very eyes at the amphitheater. Each of the amphitheater shows were 4 bucks and general seating, so I'd show up a little early and be right up front.

6/18/12 6:18 PM
meatrokket
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Everyone in the '70s look like they stank. 
6/18/12 7:48 PM
Moke

meatrokket -  Everyone in the '70s look like they stank. 

That's pheromones son. Back then all men's veins were clogged with testosterone (even the one's who dressed like chicks and played on stage). Breath it in. It's good for you and the ladies love it.
6/18/12 7:51 PM
meatrokket
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Moke - 
meatrokket -  Everyone in the '70s look like they stank. 

That's pheromones son. Back then all men's veins were clogged with testosterone (even the one's who dressed like chicks and played on stage). Breath it in. It's good for you and the ladies love it.
I'll look into it. 

6/18/12 9:13 PM
FCTV808
252 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sex panther FTMFW!?
6/18/12 9:32 PM
JIMMYNAKS
253 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FCTV808 - this is possibly the best thread the hg has ever seen.

holy fuck thx moke.
I was just about to write THIS Phone Post
6/18/12 9:32 PM
JIMMYNAKS

BRUT.....

FTW!!! Phone Post
6/19/12 4:21 AM
TheAlchemist
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Holy Shit this thread is fukkin Solid Gold! Awesome pics! thanks for sharing Moke.
6/19/12 5:01 AM
conviser
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GREAT photos!

Crazy that Schon joined Santana at AGE 15, in the free-wheeling late 1960s. And he's been with major rock bands ever since. Wonder if he's bested Wilt Chamberlain in number of conquests.

And yeah, he's been great with the guitar as well.

I saw REO in concert last year, at the Blaisdell. Kevin Cronin seems a bit creepy these days.
6/19/12 5:39 AM
MOB U2

I have a solo album or two of Neal Schon. Not the same. The man needs to be in Journey.

Btw, Steve Perry usually has the best denim man-toe.

BEEP!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.