UnderGround Forums

Hawai'i Underground >> It's about the Journey...

6/19/12 6:13 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
FCTV808
287 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

man toe!
6/19/12 7:09 PM
Moke
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/19/12 7:10 PM
MOB U2 - I have a solo album or two of Neal Schon. Not the same. The man needs to be in Journey.

I actually enjoyed Hardline...it was merely Neal moving on the the next stage of things rather than getting bitter or going stagnant. It was like the late 80's early 90's and it fit right in. He also snagged Deen Castronovo on drums, and he's one of the greatest drummers walking. His work with Cacophony is tremendous.

6/19/12 7:45 PM
MOB U2
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^Wow haven't heard this one, it's pretty good. Vid reminds me of the Bullet Boys with less acid wash jeans.

I have Schon's Piranha Blues and Electric World I think but haven't listened to them in years.

And yep I remember Deen Castronovo! My friend and older cousin was really into Marty Friedman and Tony MacAlpine so we listened to Deen a lot (well it was either him or Atma Anur). Shucks now this makes me wanna go and get a back CD catalogue of Cacophony, Racer X, and MacAlpine from Shrapnel.

I heard Deen got busted recently for domestics and stuff which sucks.
6/19/12 11:28 PM
Moke
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/15/14 11:34 PM
MOB U2 -And yep I remember Deen Castronovo! My friend and older cousin was really into Marty Friedman and Tony MacAlpine so we listened to Deen a lot (well it was either him or Atma Anur). Shucks now this makes me wanna go and get a back CD catalogue of Cacophony, Racer X, and MacAlpine from Shrapnel.

Yeah if I was stuck on a deserted island and could have only three albums, Cacophony "Go Off!" would be one of them.

Here's more Neal...

6/20/12 12:57 AM
MOB U2
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^Sweet Jesus the Brandon Lee Rapid Fire soundtrack song! I haven't heard this in like fucking 20 years or something. It was a great era!

6/20/12 4:34 AM
Moke

conviser - I saw REO in concert last year, at the Blaisdell. Kevin Cronin seems a bit creepy these days.

That's because he looks like an old woman these days...the same thing that happened to Paul McCartney...it's like they've been injecting estrogen for the last ten years, lol wtf?
6/25/12 5:39 AM
Moke

Edited: 06/25/12 5:44 AM
Speaking of great guitar players, I was never much of a fan of Extreme, or even of Nuno Bettencourt, but I have to say, he was one of the only guys that made me truly jealous. My favorite players had far more technique and or soul (not that Nuno lacks any of those qualities), but it was his overall control that was amazing to me...almost TOO perfect...ironically, if he had any flaw for me, it was that he was too perfect.

Listen to these bits...it's live, so if any mistakes or flaws are gonna show up, it's gonna be here. But there's none. Not one wrong note, not one dropped note, nothing flat or sharp, and zero timing flaws. Just like a perfect guitar playing computer...except I can't insult him by really claiming that, because he doesn't play devoid of feeling. It's just so flawless...it makes me mad.

btw, he's an itty bitty little guy...his guitars are scaled down so that they don't look huge on him.

6/25/12 8:14 AM
FCTV808
287 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

unreal!
6/26/12 6:50 AM
conviser
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Since we're sidetracking to other guitarists....any thoughts on this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjpkVv9OrZQ&feature=related

First heard him a few years ago on YouTube. Not a technique king by any stretch, but his tone and phrasing seem pretty damn good.

6/26/12 2:00 PM
FCTV808

i like it!
6/26/12 6:05 PM
Moke

Edited: 06/26/12 6:07 PM
Wow interesting! However it's hard for me to be objective about that tune...I've heard it covered live a bazillion times by everyone from Steve Lukather to Mike Landau to Shawn Lane to every Tom Dick And Harry alive...but stcking to the new Hendrix cover theme, I'll contirbute Shawn doing, Along the Watchtower, live on a radio broadcast...

6/27/12 12:31 AM
MOB U2

I've been a Monte Montgomery fan for years! I think his rendition of Sara Smile is the best one ever. He thoroughly impressed Daryl Hall that Daryl actually invited him to his house and they filmed it. Once in a while I watch Daryl's show - liveatdarylshouse.com.

Check out this version of Sara Smile by Monte- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc2xgNUZdww. I used to Ritchie Kotzen's version of Sara Smile, but after I saw Monte's I forgot about Ritchie's. Monte's is so much better.

As far as Shawn Lane, first time I heard of him was in the early 90's on a compilation CD called "Guitarists on the Edge Vol.2". He was such a freakishly fast player, but very tasteful too when he wanted. And what I like about him is that he's relaxed when he does it. Guys like Rusty Cooley, and Michael Angelo Batio look a bit tense shredding away, and sometimes they sound a bit robotic-like, which I don't like. Shawn I heard was also like a real genius type of guy too. R.I.P.

Oh yeah same feeling on Nuno. I like guitar players who shred but you don't really consider a 'shredder'. I know it sounds odd, but guys like Vai, Malmsteen, Satriani, Marty Friedman, Alex Skolnick, Paul Gilbert . . I just never considered guitar shredders. I guess mainly b/c they can construct actual songs you can sing a long too, either melodically or lyrically.
6/27/12 5:04 AM
TheAlchemist
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's one slick white guy.
6/27/12 5:43 AM
Moke

I know a guy in Nuuanu that could likely pull that off...just change the name to suit whatever female is sitting in front of you, and whammo. Melted vagina.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.