UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Franklin considering one last title run?

6/19/12 2:58 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

"I talked to the UFC about dropping back down to 185, and they liked the idea," Franklin said. "A win here I think will start jockeying me in that position, and I'll start looking at a possible title hunt after that."

Franklin's past six fights have either been at light heavyweight or catch weights, and he has gone 3-3 in that stretch, alternating wins (Matt Hamill, Silva, Chuck Liddell) and losses (Dan Henderson, Belfort, Forrest Griffin).

Against Silva, he'll fight for the first time since his UFC 126 loss to Griffin – the longest layoff of his career thanks to fall shoulder surgery. But because he was training and ready for a fight this past August with Antonio Rogerio Nogueira that never materialized, he isn't concerned with cage rust.

He did say, though, that another major injury could have him thinking about hanging up the gloves quicker than he wants to.

"As far as retirement goes, when it comes to injuries and things like that, if I suffer another major injury, like a shoulder or a broken arm that's going to put me out for six months, something like that could quite possibly retire me," Franklin said. "And I'm well aware of that. That's always in the back of my mind. I realize that I'm closer to retirement than I am to the beginning of my career – much closer, at this point in time. I don't have a date set when I think I'll retire. But I've always said I didn't believe I'd be fighting into my 40s. I'm one of those people with his career that I kind of take it day by day.

"I woke up today and thought to myself, 'I would much rather be in the gym training for a fight than going and working in some office in a cubicle when I love competing.' I get to do what I love on a daily basis, and I'll continue to do it as long as I love doing it and my body will allow it."

read entire article...

6/19/12 2:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
orcus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Franklin vs Bisping would be good.
6/19/12 2:59 PM
BaraoKix

Title shot where?
6/19/12 3:03 PM
yellow wrkahlc
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He wants a another title shot at 185.

Franklin is a great fighter, but I don't see him winning the belt again this late in his career.

6/19/12 4:31 PM
nightkap
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I respect him that much more after hearing this....
Thinking about what Andy did to him in their 2 fights...
Good luck Rich.... Phone Post
6/19/12 4:38 PM
yellow wrkahlc
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

unclehulka13 - 
yellow wrkahlc - He wants a another title shot at 185.

Franklin is a great fighter, but I don't see him winning the belt again this late in his career.

Who at 185 is a world beater? Belcher is the only person right now I see being a force. Maybe lombard.

Rich isn't getting any younger, and I really don't see him fighting longer than the next 3 years.

You've got guys like Lombard, Weidman, Bisping, Belfort, Belcher, Sonnen, etc. that could give Franklin a run for his money in that time, and there's no way Franklin beats everyone one of those names.

I don't doubt that he could make it to a title eliminator bout, but I don't see him winning it. Rich will always be a top fighter at MW, but he will not win the belt again.
6/19/12 4:39 PM
swany

You gotta give ace credit ... He has some serious balls just for thinking about contemplating setting foot in the cafe with Anderson again
6/19/12 4:46 PM
MMALOGIC

there are some good fights for him at 185...  but he's not getting to the title again.

Id like to see Franklin vs Bisping.  Franklin vs Belcher.
6/19/12 4:55 PM
yellow wrkahlc

swany - You gotta give ace credit ... He has some serious balls just for thinking about contemplating setting foot in the cafe with Anderson again

You're damn right he does.

I'll always respect Franklin.
6/19/12 4:59 PM
Poopyface TomatoNose

Franklin rounds beat Bisping or Sonnen. Phone Post
6/19/12 5:00 PM
Poopyface TomatoNose

Rounds = would Phone Post
6/19/12 5:05 PM
Jored1990
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I remember there being talk of a 190 lbs weight class, that's the only place I could imagine rich getting a title shot this late in his career
6/19/12 5:07 PM
yellow wrkahlc

Jored1990 - I remember there being talk of a 190 lbs weight class, that's the only place I could imagine rich getting a title shot this late in his career

What?
6/19/12 5:24 PM
Snappy Whistleteeth
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How conicidental...I myself am currently thinking of taking one last run at banging Meagan Fox.

I think my odds are a little better...
6/19/12 6:44 PM
Jored1990
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

*195 lbs

Yer there was some talk awhile ago about adding a weight class between MW and LHW, if I remember right Rogan suggested it. I don't think zuffa was into it though

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.