UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Update on my progress.

6/19/12 9:42 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
nineteen
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At the beginning of the year I posted about wanting to lose some weight.

I had a strict diet which I couldn't keep up with and kept getting sick. Got rid of the granola bars!

I did continue with the gym and have lost about 15 lbs.

I feel and look better. Kept my boobs so far. Lost a lot of fat from my legs and mid section.

Doing mostly compound exercises and cardio. Keeping my diet as clean as possible but not as clean as I plan. and trying out IF. Got some criticism on it so I don't talk about it anymore. It's working for me.

Work in progress.

Thanks for all the advise on this forum. I lurk a lot more than I post. Phone Post
6/19/12 10:14 PM
Jacks Wasted Life
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great job so far...keep up the good work! There is tons of useful information on this forum.

Hit the compound strength training movements hard, keep going with the cardio and clean diet and you will hit your goals. Consistency is huge...it gets easier once you make up your mind to do it (whatever your goal may be).

How much do you want to lose altogether? Phone Post
6/19/12 11:19 PM
nineteen
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At the beginning I thought 15 was it. But im not happy yet. Another 10-15 probably.

I really want to be strong.

How do I increase my grip strength? Phone Post
6/20/12 2:27 AM
TartanArmy
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nineteen - At the beginning I thought 15 was it. But im not happy yet. Another 10-15 probably.

I really want to be strong.

How do I increase my grip strength? Phone Post
Grip strength has became an issue for me. Really holding me back on my deadlifts. Phone Post
6/20/12 2:31 AM
Leigh
738 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well done. I remember the thread but might be clearer to post an update in the original

Simple gripper is working great for me Phone Post
6/20/12 6:44 AM
Chocolate Shatner
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TF? P!
6/20/12 8:05 AM
vermonter
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haha. She tried to post a pic in the first but it didn't work. Let's see some before and afters :)

Also, I doubt you'll get criticism about IF on here. There are many proponents (myself included) so keep it up. You still need to make sure your not eating a wad of granola during that time though. As you know, stick as much to lean meats and veggies as you can.

You said you want a cleaner diet, but what is the hold up?

For grip strength, just work your grip. What do you need a stronger grip for? (Can't believe i'm asking that...)

Something as simple as power holds can be quite effective for that. Set the pins in a rack just below your hand level, load up the bar, and then hold it for time.
6/20/12 9:56 AM
The Adversary
237 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Keep up the good work! Vermonter is right, most of us here accept your IF lifestyle even if we don't do it ourselves. It's only the brainwashed bro scientists that can't believe there's an alternative to eating 50 (small) meals a day.

As far as your grip, you may also give kettlebells a shot.
6/20/12 9:59 AM
disbeliever
324 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
Get the straps to lift with. My grip was giving out as well before my deadlifts maxed out. I still work the grip strength, but use the straps when I lift heavy
6/20/12 2:07 PM
paw
1355 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nineteen -  I did continue with the gym and have lost about 15 lbs.

I feel and look better. Kept my boobs so far. Lost a lot of fat from my legs and mid section.

Doing mostly compound exercises and cardio. Keeping my diet as clean as possible but not as clean as I plan. and trying out IF. Got some criticism on it so I don't talk about it anymore. It's working for me.

There has to be a spin about forum not accepting my IF lifestyle.....but seriously, great job!

6/21/12 4:25 PM
nineteen

Thanks guys!!! I appreciate the encouragement.

I predominately use my phone so couldn't search for my first thread.

I feel like my grip gives out at 60lbs (I know it's weak) with dead lifts so I wanted to make it stronger for just regular life things like opening jars.

I'm shy to post pics. I'll post measurements next time I take them.

What do you think about the candigone cleanse. My gf suggested we do it together. I have not tried a cleanse before. Any benefits?

Also. What is the average a girl should/can lift. Phone Post
6/21/12 5:21 PM
Chocolate Shatner
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cleanse- 95% of them are total, absolute bullshit. However, they may not hurt you, except your wallet.

There are tons of boards, testimonials, etc about the powerful effects of cleansing. But, take a look at them a bit deeper. Almost all the boards are from websites that already are convinced of the positive effects of cleanses, homeopathy, etc. (BTW, there are few actual studies that support any of the claims of these people).

Second, take a look at the ingredients in "candiGONE", and you'll laugh. In the first bottle, the ingredients include "olive leaf extract," "grapefruit seed extract," and "garlic bulb." The second bottle includes oregano, orange peel, cinnamon, clove, and peppermint.

Now, I'm no Iron Chef (ALLE CUISINE!) but it seems to me that you can, instead of spending 35 dollars, go out and buy about $15 dollars worth of ingredients and whip up a tasty, delicious pasta sauce along with a peppermint cinnamon smoothie that would do just as well, and have enough leftovers to take you for a month.

I'm gonna level with you. I'm making an assumption here, but I would bet by your screenname and your join date that you are somewhere in the age range of 23-27. If so, then you need to stop with the worries about shit like "cleanses" and "detoxing" and other crap. Just do the work, go slowly, and it will come.
6/21/12 6:11 PM
Leigh
738 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My missus, at 20 years old, 108lbs and 6 weeks training, deadlifted 220lbs and clean and pressed 90lbs. That's pretty unusual but not ridiculous. You should at least aim for 1.5 body weight deadlift

Wait, you're a girl with a gf? Now you GOTTA post pics Phone Post
6/21/12 6:18 PM
nineteen

Nice! I was dreading it.

I wanted to do it to bond and hoped that I got something out of it. But We can bond at a girls night.

Yup I'm 28 now. Will keep at it.

Thanks guys! Phone Post
6/21/12 6:21 PM
nineteen

Leigh - My missus, at 20 years old, 108lbs and 6 weeks training, deadlifted 220lbs and clean and pressed 90lbs. That's pretty unusual but not ridiculous. You should at least aim for 1.5 body weight deadlift

Wait, you're a girl with a gf? Now you GOTTA post pics Phone Post
That makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong.

Tho I'm a beginner with no previous experience like sports.

Guess I have a long way to go. Phone Post
6/21/12 6:25 PM
Leigh

Well, I coached her and generally people add fair amounts to their deadlift in one coaching session if they have poor form Phone Post
6/21/12 6:35 PM
nineteen

I should get someone else to show me. I hate my gym with the worthless trainers. I desperately want to hulk flex at ppl.

Oh I am a girl with many gfs but we only talk about messing around nothing more. Gotta get hotter first. Haha

Gots me a dude tho. A forum member. Dunno if he would appreciate if I outted him. Phone Post
6/22/12 1:22 AM
Leigh

Yeah, if you've not been shown before, it would probably help Phone Post
6/22/12 10:10 AM
jdhawgs
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You should never compare your self to other lifters, it dose not matter how much weight you can lift as long as you make progress. Even if it's just 1 lb, 1 rep or exercise done in a shorter amount of time.
6/22/12 10:16 AM
paw
1355 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nineteen -  I should get someone else to show me. I hate my gym with the worthless trainers. I desperately want to hulk flex at ppl. 
One comment on trainers.....be very selective in choosing one and don't be afraid to change trainers if your gut tells you to.  My neighbor has been in a cast for the last 6 weeks because her trainer pushed her too hard and she fractured bones in her foot - and I bet other forum members can add other horror stories as well.

There are tons of qualified personal trainers/coaches out there, but plan on spending time interviewing and looking to find them. 

6/22/12 11:12 AM
vermonter
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't listen to leigh. His freak sauce gets all over everyone within a gym while he's there and people under 130lbs can all bench 300 and squat 500.

Deadlifting at all is a good start. If it's your grip that fails at 60, fine, work on it the way I mentioned above. You can work your grip every time you go into the gym and it will advance quickly. There's also more technical ways to hold a bar, and other aids, but for where you're at, i'd say just work your grip more.

As mentioned: Skip the cleanse and just eat sensibly. Everyone knows how to lose weight, there are few "secrets." Less pizza, more salad (not loaded with cheese and dressing, etc) and you'll lose weight. Eat less food overall and you'll lose weight. Simple enough.

Read Leigh's "Building muscle over Building Strength" thread a little lower on the page for some workout ideas.
6/22/12 12:56 PM
nineteen

You read my mind. I'm getting a little bored at the gym and need to switch it up a bit.

Will keep you guys posted.

Again thanks for all the advice and encouragement!!

One more thing. Occasionally my feet go numb while working out. I think it's my back. Been stretching. Is there anything else I can do? Phone Post
6/22/12 1:56 PM
vermonter

Your whole foot or some of your toes? While you're doing what?
6/22/12 2:54 PM
nineteen

It numbs when I use the stair master elliptical revolving stairs and sometimes during deadlifts or squats.

It's the front part of my foot. Sometimes one or both.

I just finish whatever I am doing and about 10-15 mins later it's gone. Phone Post
6/22/12 2:59 PM
Leigh

Go to the doctor Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.