UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Tear apart my deadlift form (video).

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

6/20/12 4:40 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
WaltJ
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I previously did a heavy trap workout earlier this morning, and then later this afternoon cardio and then 3 sets of deadlifts at fairly low-moderate weights, so I was already pretty tired and not working with 100% form.

Just curious to get peoples' opinions, here. I know that returning the weight to the floor was horrible (this was the final set), but I'm more interested to know that my alignment was still good and the overall form was decent.

At times, I felt like I was a little too far forward at address and that I wasn't getting the best push through my heels.

Thoughts, motherfuckers?

And ps, apologies for the gay ass music...I have no control over that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd48dyahywk&feature=youtu.be
6/20/12 4:43 PM
WaltJ
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This was the first place I thought to put it, since I know the OG can't resist the free peanut gallery shots.
6/20/12 4:54 PM
jeremy hamilton
338 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dont start with your hips so low. Keep them higher, just drop them low enough to get your hands to the bar. This will keep your hips closer to the bar thus eliminating some ROM and it will be a stronger starting position.

Stop looking up like that. Keep your head in a more neutral position.

Now I expect to be drowned out by a million know it alls mixed in with some smart people.
6/20/12 4:57 PM
WaltJ

Good start.

I think the looking up comes from wanting to make sure my back doesn't round, but probably isn't necessary to that degree.
6/20/12 5:27 PM
Flying knee
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Try looking about 10 feet ahead of you instead of looking up Phone Post
6/20/12 5:34 PM
vermonter
266 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not to drown out Jeremy but here's my advice:

Listen to Jeremy.
6/20/12 6:12 PM
WaltJ

Gotcha.

The back and everything else was okay, then?

The fact that it was 100 degrees today didn't help matters much.
6/20/12 6:17 PM
Taku
177 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For me, the hips were coming up first on a few reps...so you are getting a slight, two-part movement.

Otherwise good feedback from folks.

TAKU
6/20/12 9:25 PM
tristar
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what Jeremy said.

Google "Neck Packing"
6/21/12 12:00 AM
ravenman2000
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool post and replies.
6/21/12 12:08 AM
orcus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sweet tunes.
6/21/12 12:20 AM
Chocolate Shatner
272 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jeremy hamilton has no idea what he's talking about.

Listen to vermonter instead.
6/21/12 7:47 AM
WaltJ

I'll get another vid up tomorrow morning which heeds the collective advice posted to this thread.

I definitely knew it wasn't perfect, but I want to start hitting these regularly. I've heard some horror stories about deadlifting injuries and don't want to become a casualty!
6/21/12 9:04 AM
Squatdog

You train at the Blue Oyster?
6/21/12 9:50 AM
jeremy hamilton
338 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL Listen to Chocolate Shatner.

Also Taku is right.
6/21/12 2:11 PM
shadallion

How much weight was that?
6/22/12 2:17 PM
jdhawgs

Chocolate Shatner - jeremy hamilton has no idea what he's talking about.

Listen to vermonter instead.

jeremy hamilton - LOL Listen to Chocolate Shatner.

Also Taku is right.

I'm sooo confused, I think i'll just listen to the voices in my head. ¯\(°_o)/¯
7/1/12 11:43 PM
WaltJ

I'll add an updated vid tomorrow or Tuesday. Thanks again guys.
7/7/12 2:53 PM
drixx2
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

your starting position looks good to me.
The whole lift looked 90% better than what i see in the gym everyday.

On a few you were jerking the bar a little bit. Try not to think of pull the bar with your arms, try to think of pushing the floor away from you (i try to imagine a leg press machine against the floor).
You are kinda doing a two-parter like Taku said. It seems you set up the right way, but prior to the lift, you bring your hips up a little. This might be because of the slight jerking motion.

I couldn't really see how you were breathing, but make sure you take in a large breath, push your ribs out and squeeze your abs.

Couldn't really tell about your feet, but make sure the weight is on your heels and not on your toes.

watch this and study everything from this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syt7A23YnpA
7/8/12 10:39 AM
snowman95
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Later Phone Post
9/4/12 11:05 AM
WaltJ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAqdfoWWlfM&feature=youtu.be

Here's a new video from this morning.

My impressions from viewing it are that my form has improved noticeably (with much help from the advice I received from this thread) and the work is being shifted more to where it's supposed to be, as opposed to pulling with the arms. I felt a lot of leg and hip engagement. I could feel myself rooted to the ground.

I felt more much more stable, didn't jerk as much, lifted more from the legs and had better drive from keeping my head straight. I realize that the head still was looking up as the weight was going back down and I'm consciously trying to work on breaking this habit with each subsequent lift.

It's tough to tell from the angle, but the bar traveled up my shins and thighs throughout (the bar marks that exist now on my legs are decent indicators).

My three biggest takeaways are 1) keeping my head at a less extreme angle (no looking up to the sky), 2) moving from the legs, 3) hip drive.

It can still improve. Any critiques or comments are still very much welcome!

9/4/12 11:07 AM
WaltJ

Edited: 09/04/12 11:08 AM
Once again, apologies for the gay background music.

Obe, the guy who owns the place, is a 300 lb former football player who benches (with fucking ease...) 600 lbs for reps, so if he wants to listen to MJ or C&C Music Factory, that's what we're listening to.
9/4/12 2:07 PM
LiftStrong
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That looks pretty good. Hips led you up a little bit, but nothing dramatic. My only thought would be to speed up your set up. You spent 30 seconds with the bar in your hands setting yourself up before actually starting your pull. Good work though!
9/4/12 3:31 PM
WaltJ

I was thinking the same thing re: the setup
9/4/12 4:28 PM
tristar
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looks a lot better. Phone Post

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.