UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Fedor's Fake & Shogun's Superman Hook

6/21/12 9:16 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jack Slack
1741 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/21/12 9:16 PM

Hey chaps,

Saw Fedor use a neat fake kick to set up the knockout against Pedro Rizzo and it reminded me so much of Shogun's strategic finish of Chuck Liddell that I just had to bang out an article! It's quite late here in England, so I might be talking nonsense, but I hope you enjoy it! As always, all critique is welcomed!

Cheers,
Jack

Fedor Emelianenko has just surprised no-one by knocking out a much aged and worn down Pedro Rizzo, but Rizzo is still no slouch on the feet, and the The Last Emeperor's striking discipline continued along it's upward trend. While many of his hardcore fans, myself included, would like to see Fedor return to his varied striking to grappling style, Fedor did fight exactly as he should now that he is past his best. Fedor fought intelligently, in a measured manner, and out thought Rizzo. Fedor looked every bit the technical striker, even hooking off of the jab. The finishing combination was a perfect example of a set up immediately paying dividends, and effective set ups are something we see far too little of in MMA. If you haven't read my piece on Fedor's striking, please check it out.

Fedor threw a hard low kick at the Brazilian, coincidentally a man known for his own, powerful low kicks. ThenFedor lifted his foot, faking the kick but instead stepped in with a powerful right hand. Similar to a superman punch, but accomplished with a step forward rather than a hop into the same stance. The act of establishing the low kick (a fairly safe technique when thrown appropriately), then using this to set up meaningful punches is one that is still underutilized in Mixed Martial Arts. Rizzo was circling away from the Russian's legendary right hand, and yet the appearance of an approaching low kick made him lift his leg to check, allowing Fedor to strike him down.

In MMA, the gloves are much smaller than in boxing, so many intelligent fighters learn to move away when the opponent is stepping in rather than trying to block (Dominick Cruz, Lyoto Machida, Anderson Silva are all masterful at this). At lower levels (though still in UFC fights- Matt Riddle vs Sean Pierson being a great example) this leads to fighters running at each other with flurries, falling short on every punch, then running backward away from the opponent's own attemps at an offensive flurry. A great way to make the opponent stand still is to low kick.

The threat of a low kick forces the opponent to:

• Check the kick - taking one foot off of the floor and stopping his backward movement.

• Set his weight on the front foot to take the kick, also preventing backward movement.

• Should the opponent retreat, he will take the brunt of the kick while out of position, fall off balance, and risk injury.

The most basic level of low kick to punching set ups is the superman punch - responsible for a great many knockouts of even experienced fighters. Georges St. Pierre still establishes his inside low kick, then uses his superman jab to enter for his takedowns in almost every fight. Jon Jones also distracts better punchers with solid kicks, and is then able to catch them unawares with hand strikes as their footwork slows in anticipation of taking low kicks. Another fighter who, when he is on form, blends kicking with his punching strategy excellently, is Mauricio 'Shogun' Rua.

After the Jump we'll look at Shogun's excellent use of low kicks to impliment his punching game.

Continues at: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/6/21/3108785/judo-chop-fedor-emelianenko-pedro-rizzo-mauricio-shogun-rua-brandon-vera-ufc-on-fox

6/21/12 9:57 PM
Jack Slack
1741 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT
6/21/12 9:58 PM
dunchurrn
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think "Superman hook" is really the best way to describe what Shogun did.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xg2872_sengoku-4-mizuto-hirota-vs-ryan-schultz_sport this on the other hand
6/21/12 10:11 PM
Tankhead
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub
6/21/12 10:26 PM
D241
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jack Slack has added credability to UK mma simply with his writing breakdowns.
6/21/12 10:46 PM
rosario00

T Phone Post
6/22/12 12:38 AM
yabadaba
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt 
6/22/12 2:15 AM
Joe Rogan
1089 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That was a beautiful combination.  Sorry to see Fedor leave, but I love that he's doing it on his terms.
It's getting really hard to watch Rizzo taking all the damage he's been taking lately.  I also noticed when he entered the ring that he had a torn biceps in his right arm and it had curled up on him.  The guy has had such a hard road.
6/22/12 3:38 AM
Calavaro
216 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jack Slack - Hey chaps,

Fedor threw a hard low kick at the Brazilian, coincidentally a man known for his own, powerful low kicks. ThenFedor lifted his foot, faking the kick but instead stepped in with a powerful right hand. Similar to a superman punch, but accomplished with a step forward rather than a hop into the same stance. The act of establishing the low kick (a fairly safe technique when thrown appropriately), then using this to set up meaningful punches is one that is still underutilized in Mixed Martial Arts. Rizzo was circling away from the Russian's legendary right hand, and yet the appearance of an approaching low kick made him lift his leg to check, allowing Fedor to strike him down.

Continues at: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/6/21/3108785/judo-chop-fedor-emelianenko-pedro-rizzo-mauricio-shogun-rua-brandon-vera-ufc-on-fox

You put into words what I saw when I made the GIF. Very nicely written again.

Please feel free to use this updated, better quality, GIF if you like. If you need any GIF's made for your articles in the future... let's talk.

6/22/12 5:48 AM
Dublin_Huntington
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice analysis..sub Phone Post
6/22/12 6:16 AM
Jack Slack

Calavaro - 
Jack Slack - Hey chaps,

You put into words what I saw when I made the GIF. Very nicely written again.

Please feel free to use this updated, better quality, GIF if you like. If you need any GIF's made for your articles in the future... let's talk.

Thanks man! =) 

I think I thanked you in the gif thread, at least I hope I did! Great job getting them up so quickly!

6/22/12 6:22 AM
Jack Slack

Joe Rogan -  That was a beautiful combination.  Sorry to see Fedor leave, but I love that he's doing it on his terms.
It's getting really hard to watch Rizzo taking all the damage he's been taking lately.  I also noticed when he entered the ring that he had a torn biceps in his right arm and it had curled up on him.  The guy has had such a hard road.
I was pretty sad during the Liddell Shogun fight too. Any time two legends meet past their best, you can't help but feel worse for the loser. Especially with the terrible run Rizzo has had lately.

Just noticed that you're Joe Rogan! =P Great to have you read my article man! =D

6/22/12 6:27 AM
Rusty Shackleford
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub for later Phone Post
6/22/12 9:00 AM
Jack Slack

TTT
6/22/12 9:02 AM
ThinkMMA
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very cool article again Jack. That jab/hook combo was incredible to watch. Didn't believe what I saw the first time. Plus, Fedor's footwork in this fight was phenomenal. Phone Post
6/22/12 9:11 AM
Kirik
1627 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Follow me, on Twitter
 Jack you have a blue name for life.

If you need your tea poured or something, I am your gentleman's gentleman :-)
6/22/12 9:20 AM
dudefromisrael
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jack Slack - Hey chaps,

Saw Fedor use a neat fake kick to set up the knockout against Pedro Rizzo and it reminded me so much of Shogun's strategic finish of Chuck Liddell that I just had to bang out an article! It's quite late here in England, so I might be talking nonsense, but I hope you enjoy it! As always, all critique is welcomed!

Cheers,
Jack

Iike I tell my wife every third tuesday of every other month (not on high holidays):

Don't stop
6/22/12 9:37 AM
qcddog03
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AdvoCare, Distributor
Outstanding article. Goodnight sweet prince. Phone Post
6/22/12 10:32 AM
Meffin
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great article Phone Post
6/22/12 10:34 AM
confusionSay
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That was such a great article. The intricacy of MMA makes it appealing on a far more cerebral level than many other sports. The "human chess match" metaphor rogan uses to describe jiu jitsu is just as apt for the all-around game. Thank you very much for the article, Jack Slack.

And thx for all the fights, Fedor :)
6/22/12 10:58 AM
MachidasBrew 209TT

Sub-merging... Phone Post
6/22/12 11:04 AM
Mismatch
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Like so many before me I must say I really appreciate these articles and breakdowns you do, i read every single one of them. Great work!
6/22/12 11:13 AM
Atomac
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool post, keep em coming OP.
6/22/12 11:54 AM
Jack Slack

TTT
6/22/12 12:13 PM
Jack Slack

Kirik -  Jack you have a blue name for life.

If you need your tea poured or something, I am your gentleman's gentleman :-)

Thanks so much Kirik! I shall endeavour to keep pumping them out ;)

Given how well this piece and the Wineland piece seem to have gone down immediately after the event, I think I'll try to get a chop out for tomorrow morning if something good happens on the card. I was asked to help with the gameplan for one of the fighters on the card, so if that goes well it's an easy Judo Chop to write =P

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.