UnderGround Forums

Australasia UnderGround >> Ben Mortimer ready to prove himself

6/21/12 11:26 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
neilzy
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://cagejunkies.com/2012/06/ben-mortimer-nitro-6-preview/

Had a chat with him the other night and did this piece up. Should be a good night of fights at Nitro. I am going with Knuckles for the win!

----------

On July the 7th Nitro MMA holds what is set to be its sixth show and on the card we see a face-off to determine the inaugural Nitro Australian Welterweight champion with two of Australia’s best welterweights vying for the crown. Ben Mortimer and Ian Bone will square off in one of the most anticipated welterweight match-ups of the year.

Arguably two of the best fighters on the Australian scene in the division these two are ready for what is expected to be a bloody war. Both men are quietly confident that they will walk out with the belt and both men want to prove to the fans and the selectors from The Ultimate Fighter that they truly are the best this country has to offer.

Ben “Knuckles” Mortimer has  fought on the Nitro card twice now and both times he was victorious with stoppage victories (a round three submission over Ben Alloway and a first round knockout of Chris Johnstone). Ben is confident that he will be able to string together another win on the card to make it a hatrick appearing for Nitro. “I know I can knock him out and I am ready to win.” Ben confidently said.

On his failure to make the Australian team for the upcoming Ultimate Fighter: Smashes series Ben was both positive and optimistic. “It was a great experience to get out there with so many of the country’s best fighters. I may not have been picked but that’s life. I know what I need to do next time.” Cheekily he commented on the fighters that were eventually chosen by the UFC in Australia’s most competitive division “One by one I will knock them out. I have no dramas in calling them out one by one and showing the UFC that they should have chosen me.” Ben may have lost his opportunity to get his first big break but that confidence and “larrikinism” is something that he will never lose. “I am ready to take on the world and I will fight anyone to get to the top” Ben exclaimed.

Leading up to this his fight with Bone, Ben has changed his training which has led him to a renewed focus on his ground game. “I am great on my feet” Ben explained, “I really needed to hone my ground game so I have been training twice a day six days a week. I changed gyms and I really think I have gotten better with my wrestling and ground skills with my new coaches. I am heading into a grappling tournament before the fight to get even more practice on the ground and I am confident that I can win wherever this fight ends up.” Although Ben has found dramatic improvement through his training there is always an opportunity to get better. On what happens next with his training Ben was open to exploring opportunities with taking his camp overseas. “I am really in a position now where I can fly overseas and train, I have gotten to the point financially where I can take my career to the next level.” That next level of course is also breaking the overseas market for a fight.

“I’d love to fight on Legend FC or any other show overseas, I think I am ready for the big time” Ben explained. Fighting in Brisbane though is always an experience that Aussie fighters love, the crowd at Nitro are always into the fights and the promotion as a whole never disappoints with their show. “I love walking out there with people cheering my name; it makes for a great night.” Ben has promised not to disappoint on July 7th, he has big plans to impress the fans with a knockout victory and already has a trophy cabinet ready for a brand new Australian title! Mortimer is confident that he will leave Nitro with the belt in hand and will do it in his usual knockout fashion. For Ian Bone, Mortimer had these final words. ”I wish him the best of luck because luck is the only thing that is going to get him a win over me.”

CageJunkies will be live at the event so be sure to check the site for live results, photos and a Twitter feed!

7/31/12 8:03 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UGCTT_mousetrap
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ian boned him bad Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.