UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Funk guitar instructional vid (AWESOME)

6/22/12 5:31 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jman
588 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/29/12 2:18 AM

We've all done that "sliding 9th" funk thing...but sweet jesus does this guy break it down SO incredibly well. AMAZING!!!

Part 1:

Part 2:
6/22/12 11:58 PM
Ali
784 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That is good. One of the few things that made me want to pull out my Ovation.

Thanks for sharing that, jman!
6/26/12 8:15 AM
jman
588 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/26/12 8:43 AM
It is so good that I'm watching it INCREDIBLY slowly to "get it" and take in as much as I can. I've only watched 20 minutes so far, what a great video!
7/11/12 10:06 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fun.

This kinda thing always makes me wanna take it to the next level, get obsessed, make musical armegeddon... And then I come to my senses...

A friend posted this Tina Guo clip a while back which "kinda" inspired my "Soul Murder" clip. NOT that it's musically awesome BUT it's motivating, in a strange way...

7/11/12 11:47 PM
jman

Ok that video freaked me out...I feel like I need to take shower after watching that, thanks for sharing...I think?
7/16/12 3:19 AM
sreiter
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

said it before i'll say it again..Demi, you're the only guy of that style that sounds musical to me...GREAT tune (soul murder)

and thx for sharing Guo - good stuff
7/16/12 10:05 AM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sreiter - said it before i'll say it again..Demi, you're the only guy of that style that sounds musical to me...GREAT tune (soul murder)

and thx for sharing Guo - good stuff

Much appreciated.
7/22/12 6:54 AM
jman

Here's some more funk...more rock/funk stuff with Stevie Salas. "Simple" great, great stuff (that is a compliment!). Playing the pentatonic is the meat and potatoes of "rock" guitar...so, so, so, so...SO overlooked.

7/29/12 2:20 AM
jman

I just discovered Part 2 of the first video and added it to the first Original Post. I've still only gotten through 50% of the first video, but damn it is good stuff.
8/8/12 9:52 AM
huhriiight
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sub.
8/15/12 7:40 AM
JasonKeaton
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good stuff.
8/17/12 1:06 AM
DonkeyKick215
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

for later
9/2/12 2:30 PM
hugomma
1058 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for contributing to my continuing guitar education jman.  TTT, VTFU.

A friend of an old friend named, Chris Buono, teaches on TrueFire.  He put out a series called "50 Funk Guitar Licks".  I posted lesson #1, you can find a bunch of them here, along with other licks lessons:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=50+funk+guitar+licks&oq=50+funk+guitar+licks&gs_l=youtube.3...13780.14542.0.14966.7.6.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0...0.0...1ac.

9/17/12 12:23 AM
jman

Finally made it through the first part of the OP. Incredible stuff!!!

At least for me, because I never played funk guitar before, so it is the rhythms and voicings that are so cool. I've heard it for my whole life (growing up in the 70's) but there's not too much "good" info that I've seen on it actually teaching it from an educational standpoint.

I usually can go through a guitar instructional video in a few sittings, but this one is so good that I'm literally only doing one example at a time, writing down the voicings and rhythms. This may be why it is taking me weeks to get through it.

Part 1 down now on to Part 2.
9/19/12 1:51 AM
jman

OK finished up watching the entire 2 hours of instruction...WOW fucking awesome.

I guess if I had to pick "the coolest" thing in the entire video it would be SKANK GUITAR playing. It is pretty new to me, and I can't really do it. For people who play blues or funk, it might be something you do as second nature, but for me, it's something I'm going to need to work on.

Check out these few minutes at 14:30 in the video on SKANK GUITAR:

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.