UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> 5 Shelf Life Studies:Canned Food & Dry Food

6/22/12 7:30 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Redneck
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Handy web site.

http://www.grandpappy.info/hshelff.htm
6/22/12 5:20 PM
TheHouse
220 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in
6/22/12 5:26 PM
TheHouse
220 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

this is awesome
6/22/12 8:03 PM
Redneck
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/22/12 8:03 PM
 I'm surprised at some of the results, 46 year old canned food was still edible.

I threw out about 100 cans from my food stash last year because I stored in a garage with a tin roof and walls, and we had a heat wave of days over 100 degrees for like a week. Even though the cans hadn't swollen or shown any other signs of deterioration, I chucked them out. I've been rebuilding the stash since then and now I have a brick garage with a tiled roof, and a big cupboard with insulation inside. Hopefully that will help the food to last if I get another heatwave this year.

Based on those studies, canned food is just as good an option as MREs or freeze dried food for long term storage. 
6/23/12 3:10 AM
vegasdolphin
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In. Surprised though. Like Redneck said- Can food 46 yrs old! Damn thats crazy.

In general what canned foods do you guys buy & store? 

6/23/12 4:54 AM
Redneck

Edited: 06/23/12 4:56 AM
vegasdolphin -  In. Surprised though. Like Redneck said- Can food 46 yrs old! Damn thats crazy.

I tend to work on the theory that my stored food should just be no frills stuff that i'll be able to survive on, I just buy a few cans of whatever is on special each week and slowly build. I have lots of baked beans, spam, some canned corn, tomatoes, peas, beetroot, chick peas, stag chilli, sardines, tuna, salmon and spaghetti. The fish products always have a longer "best before" date on them than the other stuff, I bought canned salmon earlier this week with a "best before" date of 2018. Sardines and Tuna have a similar official shelf life.

I've also stocked up on canned pet food for the animals but some of it goes back to 2008 so i've been feeding that to them lately and replacing it with fresher stuff. After reading those studies though, I probably needn't have bothered. 

The Armour Star canned Foods website makes the following claim.

"Canned products are safe to use indefinitely as long as the seal is intact and can is not bulged. However, we recommend using product within three years of the manufacturing date. This will ensure the best flavor of the product. Although the products are good indefinitely the flavor gradually deteriorates over time."

They also have a "be prepared" page on the site, which I thought was interesting for a mainstream food manufacturer.

http://www.armour-star.com/prepared.asp

I know that a lot of preppers in the USA buy Armour Star because they do a Spam copy thats a third of the price and apparently their Vienna Sausage is popular with preppers for some reason.  
6/23/12 4:59 AM
vegasdolphin
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Redneck - 
vegasdolphin -  In. Surprised though. Like Redneck said- Can food 46 yrs old! Damn thats crazy.

I tend to work on the theory that my stored food should just be no frills stuff that i'll be able to survive on, I just buy a few cans of whatever is on special each week and slowly build. I have lots of baked beans, spam, some canned corn, tomatoes, peas, beetroot, chick peas, stag chilli, sardines, tuna, salmon and spaghetti. The fish products always have a longer "best before" date on them than the other stuff, I bought canned salmon earlier this week with a "best before" date of 2018. Sardines and Tuna have a similar official shelf life.

I've also stocked up on canned pet food for the animals but some of it goes back to 2008 so i've been feeding that to them lately and replacing it with fresher stuff. After reading those studies though, I probably needn't have bothered. 

"Canned products are safe to use indefinitely as long as the seal is intact and can is not bulged. However, we recommend using product within three years of the manufacturing date. This will ensure the best flavor of the product. Although the products are good indefinitely the flavor gradually deteriorates over time."

They also have a "be prepared" page on the site, which I thought was interesting for a mainstream food manufacturer.

I know that a lot of preppers in the USA buy Armour Star because they do a Spam copy thats a third of the price and apparently their Vienna Sausage is popular with preppers for some reason.  

Great info thanks! Off topic, but how ,much water are you storing? And how? How long does sealed bottled water really last? 

6/23/12 8:21 PM
Redneck

Edited: 06/23/12 8:25 PM
vegasdolphin - 
Redneck - 

Great info thanks! Off topic, but how ,much water are you storing? And how? How long does sealed bottled water really last? 

I'm just buying 4 gallon bottles and storing them. They say that you should only store for a year but some of mine is at least 3 years old. I figure that if the water is still clear and has no visible signs of contamination, i'll boil it first and risk drinking it.  Another upside to canned food is that a lot of it has a percentage of water in it, so by rights, if you have a can of baked beans you will also be getting some water with the meal.

I am about to install a 200 gallon rain water tank, which will primarily be for my vegetable garden but it may come in handy as a back up supply for human consumption. I have water purifying tablets and a water filter that I can use if need be.

I do know of people who put a silver coin in their stored water bottles, this is supposed to stop it from deteriorating, another trick is to add about 4 drops of bleach for every gallon, but at this stage I haven't done either.

Some people just have storage bottles/buckets/drums that they empty out and refill with tap water every 3 or 4 months, I guess if you have access to the tap water then that's not a bad idea, personally I just couldn't be bothered to do that so frequently. I'm not great at the whole rotating of old food for new thing, plus the stuff I normally eat is usually not the same as the stuff i'm storing, we really don't eat much canned food on a weekly basis. Which is why the storage life is of great interest to me.  
6/23/12 10:04 PM
vegasdolphin

Redneck - 
vegasdolphin - 
Redneck - 

I'm just buying 4 gallon bottles and storing them. They say that you should only store for a year but some of mine is at least 3 years old. I figure that if the water is still clear and has no visible signs of contamination, i'll boil it first and risk drinking it.  Another upside to canned food is that a lot of it has a percentage of water in it, so by rights, if you have a can of baked beans you will also be getting some water with the meal.

I am about to install a 200 gallon rain water tank, which will primarily be for my vegetable garden but it may come in handy as a back up supply for human consumption. I have water purifying tablets and a water filter that I can use if need be.

I do know of people who put a silver coin in their stored water bottles, this is supposed to stop it from deteriorating, another trick is to add about 4 drops of bleach for every gallon, but at this stage I haven't done either.

Some people just have storage bottles/buckets/drums that they empty out and refill with tap water every 3 or 4 months, I guess if you have access to the tap water then that's not a bad idea, personally I just couldn't be bothered to do that so frequently. I'm not great at the whole rotating of old food for new thing, plus the stuff I normally eat is usually not the same as the stuff i'm storing, we really don't eat much canned food on a weekly basis. Which is why the storage life is of great interest to me.  
Thanks again- solid info Red.

Where is the cheapest/best place to buy the water tablets? Which tablets are the best quality? 

Basically the same exact questions on the water filter- which one do you have? Where is the best place to buy? Amazon? I was looking at the Katadyn Pocket Water Microfilter on Amazon. I think 280.00

I actually downed like a gallon of water that dated back a bit over 2 yrs old. I have stomach issues in general, yet that 2 yr old water did not mess with me at all. The expiration date was from 2011.

6/23/12 10:31 PM
sourcheese
269 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I pick up tons of hormel turkey chili, and beanless chili all the time for work. Its cheap, relativly healthy, and tastes great. Maybe I should start stocking up on them. At target its always about 1.50 for a large can of it.
6/30/12 5:28 AM
Redneck

Where is the cheapest/best place to buy the water tablets? Which tablets are the best quality? 

Basically the same exact questions on the water filter- which one do you have? Where is the best place to buy? Amazon? I was looking at the Katadyn Pocket Water Microfilter on Amazon. I think 280.00

I actually downed like a gallon of water that dated back a bit over 2 yrs old. I have stomach issues in general, yet that 2 yr old water did not mess with me at all. The expiration date was from 2011.

You can buy water purification tablets from most online camping and military stores.  Just shop around.

I have a Royal Berkey filter for the home.

Royal Berkey Water Filter

• Versatile purifier model ideal for for home use and Large sized families up to 4 to 26 people or during emergencies
  • Includes 2 Filters
  • 3 gallon storage capacity
  • 9.5"W x 23"H
  • 8 lbs. Empty
  • Base model produces up to 4 gallons per hour

• And for bugging out I have a Sport Berkey.

The Katadyn one you mentioned is an awesome portable filter though, top of the line.
7/11/12 1:37 PM
Fly Rodder
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Save $200 and get an MSR MiniWorks. Nearly the same reusable filter tech (ceramic) but different core (silver alloy vs activated carbon). Both filters can be boiled to sanitize in extreme use scenarios.

Or get a gravity bag filter and save $220 and filter faster.

Worse case scenario, if you're still relying on a pocket water filter after a year or so, there are bigger problems than clean water.
8/6/12 2:35 PM
gokuryu
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in
9/19/12 4:36 PM
TheMessiah
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sub
9/25/12 2:26 PM
superiordanes
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sub
10/7/13 7:44 PM
Skpotamus
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bah, the Steamboat Bertrand laughs at your measely 46 year old canned goods:
http://web.archive.org/web/20070509153848/http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/CONSUMER/CON00043.html

Sank in 1865 during the civil war, recovered in 1968, the FDA tested some of the canned goods in 1974, found the food to still be safe to eat. Food types included: brandied peaches, oysters, plum tomatoes, honey, and mixed vegetables.
10/7/13 10:29 PM
SolomonGrundy
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good stuff. Phone Post 3.0
10/8/13 1:35 AM
BJ Penn Forever
254 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Skpotamus - Bah, the Steamboat Bertrand laughs at your measely 46 year old canned goods:
http://web.archive.org/web/20070509153848/http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/CONSUMER/CON00043.html

Sank in 1865 during the civil war, recovered in 1968, the FDA tested some of the canned goods in 1974, found the food to still be safe to eat. Food types included: brandied peaches, oysters, plum tomatoes, honey, and mixed vegetables.

Fry them there oysters up and lets have a motherfucking party up in hererrrrrr!
11/26/13 5:52 AM
jarhead93
905 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chili Phone Post 3.0
12/24/13 12:19 AM
regiondoc
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.