UnderGround Forums

Canada UnderGround >> Membership fee's?

7/6/12 12:43 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
wiley
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/06/12 1:45 PM
Yes my name is Jason Powell, I train at Joslins BJJ, I've trained since late 1999 (I think), I'm 39, a Sagittarian, own 2 dogs, married, 2 young girls, have a community service based job, I'm right handed, I can ride a unicycle, and dislike cold slushy winter days.

Here's a little more about myself (shameless plug)

http://www.joslinsmma.com/ourteam/instructor

I've competed and did pretty good when I did.

I never stopped competing due to injuries. I woke up one day and realized that if I was injured & couldn't work "How would I pay my bills"?, "Who would look after my kids"?, "How will I smile with no front teeth"? I'm no phenom who is going to win the worlds, I was never going to be an mma fighter, so why compete then "so I can show off some medals around my neck and stick my chest out". I represent everyday on the mats and people who know me and have trained with me will acknowledge that I give a good fight and I am a good training partner. That is enough for me.

I quit competing as I realized BJJ is only a small part of me and my family is #1.

I've asked these questions while competing, to the OJA long before Tony was invovled with them. You get no definitive answers for over 10years you start to think something is up.

I think what insurance coverage that is given by the OJA should be common knowledge, and simply it's not.

Give us the info and let us decide if its in too much legeal jargon.

Still waiting on the info I've been asking for over 10ys.

I keep bringing it up every once and awhile as a reminder to people to ask questions and be informed, and hoping one day the info will become public to the BJJ community.

I've considered competing in masters/executive but with no info about insurance coverage I wont.

And why does someone have to attend an AGM to get answers regarding insurance when it should e readily available.

Provide the info and these questions stop!
7/6/12 1:37 PM
thats g
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bjjfighter19 - Wow, Hi Jason I see you are up to no good again :)

For those of you who don’t know Wiley is Jason, a brown belt that trains at Joslin`s. Has been around a looong time , and has been through the bad times of the BJJ scene (pre 2003), but has also not competed in quite a long time due to some unfortunate injuries, which leaves me to wonder ….. why so interested in an insurance policy you have no plans to use or benefit from as you are not a member ?

I agree, all members should have access to the policy for their viewing. Like an earlier post said “ you work for a company, they have benefits which are made available to you at work or online”, but not on some underground forum. The members who have inquired about this issue have been given a copy of the policy via email. The amount of people that have inquired about this is small but they have been answered. I competed under this association last March, yet I myself can’t be bothered to look through it as it is in lawyer language and like Fernando, I cannot fully understand it, Lol.

Your claim that the policy only covers the tournament organizers against lawsuits from injured competitors is totally not true. Each member is covered equally and from each other. As for paying your wages while you are off work, you are on your own in this regard. You chose to compete, nobody dragged you there to do so, shoulder some responsibility in this regard.

The AGM is scheduled for some time in January each year and is open to members only. When an actual date is set, I will be happy to post it here. But I can tell you that I have been going to the AGM for the last 8yrs now, and can count on 1 hand the amount of people from the BJJ community that has shown up to help with setting of the rules, administration issues, spending of funds, voting members to the board etc. On many occasions I have tried to encourage members to go and have failed, so I have given up trying so I kind of chuckle when I see threads like this and usually don’t bother to post. But when you said the insurance only covers the promoter’s ass, I felt I had to correct that statement. Many years later we have a great group of BJJ people currently on the board and due to this, the events are top notch now. The association is not perfect but if you have something to add to help improve what we are doing the AGM is the place to express your point …… if you’re serious that is.

Now it is only fair if I put Jason`s name out there, I should finish with mine

Tony Isaacs, but in the famous words of Alberto Del Rio “ you already know that ” :)

i cant believe you just did that, wow.
7/7/12 1:11 AM
Dougie
907 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dougie - " I don't pay for a membership in any club that doesn't give me a cool patch to put on my gi.

bjjfighter19 -  - working on your request Dougie !

There better be pitbulls and skulls on it! Maybe a Shark too!
7/7/12 8:49 AM
BigEyedFish

I was told I had to pay $35 to coach my students at the last tourney at Seneca a couple of months back. 

lol, um ...no 
7/7/12 9:31 PM
bjjfighter19

That is not the reason you pay $35, it is to be registered as a coach with the association ..... well what does that give you ?

Yes you get to go inside the competition area to coach your students matside. the pass also covers your entry into all OJA sanctioned tournaments (8 in 2012), spectator fees on average are $10. now if you only plan to go to 1 tournament this year then it is not worth it to get the pass, but if you are a regular at the events you will save $50 with the pass.

but you do have to have it, you can coach from outside the barricades if you wish.
7/8/12 8:35 AM
wiley

So when can we expect to get info?

AGM isn't necessary to attend.

I will even get an OJA membership once the info is made available.

Also waiting for your site to be update isn't sufficient as that could be forever.

Call the OJA senior people or insurance people and ask for a pdf link, or copy/paste the info here for everyone.
7/8/12 5:47 PM
GringoBR

All your questions were answered already ,but I will send in a format that easier to understand.

Does the "insurance" pay me if I get injured during the event?
Yes. Depending on the injury.

Does it cover my medical costs for treatment if injured?
No , OHIP does.

Does it cover the promoters in case of legal action by a competitor due to being injured?.
Yes

how people got appointed/elected
Members get votes.

Where my monies goes.
Website , administration, insurance, lawyer, etc.
7/8/12 7:35 PM
wiley

Does the "insurance" pay me if I get injured during the event?
Yes. Depending on the injury.

WHATS THE COVERAGE/INSURANCE? One thing to say people have it, but an explanation/information on the insurance is the question......

And coverage/insurance for what injuries? As you said depending upon the injury.

As I figured the fee covers your legal fees in case of injury by a competitor. So someone injured has to sue for coverage? or they get specific coverage and potentially sue for more?

"Website" I'm not sure if your kidding or being honest. That webpage is as old as the dust in King Tuts Tomb.

Were starting to move in the right direction, but not there yet.
7/8/12 9:44 PM
GringoBR

website is not good I agree , we are working on a new one as we speak.

I am not putting the information here , I am not sure what can and what cannot be released, sorry maybe everything could be in the website open to the public, I don't know.

All members can have this information for sure, so send me your email and we will send the policy to you case your membership is valid.
7/21/12 5:55 PM
vitor3000
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt. Good convo we got in here. Phone Post
7/21/12 9:46 PM
1armedScissor
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Take it to the mats.

-1armedScissor

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.