UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> Underground Bunkers, how do they work?

6/23/12 8:53 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Redneck
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/23/12 8:56 PM

I've found a place locally that makes underground bunkers for protection against bushfires and it looks like it would also be a great to use in a SHTF scenario. The prices start at $13,000 which is actually a lot cheaper than I thought, but I just don't quite understand why this is considered to be such a great option for some survivalists.

If I did get the bunker, it would be in my yard, where any bunch of roaming douchebags could try to break in, or lock you in, or any shit. Unless you have a Tom Cruise style, million doillar bunker, the more I think about it, the more vulnerable the average person is if they lock themselves in a box under the ground.

The only reason I can see for getting a bunker is if there is a nuclear war, or a biological or chemical attack,  in every other scenario I can imagine, a bunker seems more like a coffin than a place to survive.  
6/26/12 4:18 PM
LeroyJ
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You could do it yourself with a $2500 shipping container and some KVR style ingenuity.
6/27/12 8:27 AM
Redneck
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LeroyJ - You could do it yourself with a $2500 shipping container and some KVR style ingenuity.

True, I just don't think its necessary for me, but it would be nice insurance.
7/1/12 10:36 PM
TheHouse
213 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Slow and steady wins the race.....
7/11/12 2:06 PM
Fly Rodder
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The only reason I can see for getting a bunker is if there is a nuclear war, or a biological or chemical attack, in every other scenario I can imagine, a bunker seems more like a coffin than a place to survive.

Cormac McCarthy was thinking like that when he wrote the road. The protagonist found some guy's bunker that was fully stocked and but the builder wasn't in it. Then the guy and his son lit out of there after a night or two because it was too confining and left them open to being captured by roving bands of cannibals.

The best thing about a bunker is probably the month or two after SHTF while the hordes starve themselves out. After that they're pretty useless.
8/20/12 6:30 PM
LeroyJ
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nuclear Fallout shelter, 2nd structure in case your primary burns, collapses, supplies storage, wild fire survival, hiding spot (Anne Frank style, or marauders etc.) Cheap camping spot (on vacation land.) all good/fun reasons to have one.
8/20/12 7:44 PM
TheHouse
213 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's on my list to get one.... right after paying off my student loans, buying a house to raise my family, getting life insurance etc etc... But it is on my list. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.