UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> Networking help

6/24/12 8:12 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
cdog1955
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just had fioptics install at th house.
It uses a zaxell router.

Here's the problem, Even thought the router has 4 ports for computers, when i hook a puter to the ports it won't connect to the net, BUT, when i add a simple 4 port hub (netgear), it will hook to the net.

I did an ipconfig and when i hook to the router it looses it's gateway address, when i hook through the hub, it's there. We tried ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew, i tried windows repair, nothing seemed to work.

The tech that installed had no clue why it did that, and it doesn't make sense to me especially since it's a simple hub, no ip's assigned to it.

Any ideas?
6/29/12 6:57 PM
poober
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is the router configure in transparent mode? Not to sound like a typical tech support person asking if the computer is plugged in, but are you sure it's only a hub?
6/30/12 5:37 PM
crobrun
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cable?
7/1/12 5:28 AM
cdog1955
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This was a good little bug that I induced.

I did a speed test on both puters, comp A was dl @ 1meg, B @ 6meg (both slow for fiber IMO), when i swapped connections, A dl@6meg, B wouldn't hook up.

What i found was the rj45's weren't configured correctly, when i made the connection i didn't use a magnifying glass (i dont see very well anymore), I made new connections with my mag glass and everything worked correctly, both dl @ 9-10 meg.
7/2/12 3:36 PM
Humphrey
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you do realize that 9-10 meg is incredibly slow compared to the capability of fiber right?

kind of irrelevant since 1. you're using rj45s so it's translated anyway, and 2. your real cap is your provider, not the lines coming in.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.