UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Good fantasy series (books)?

6/24/12 4:37 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MushroomHead
254 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

With the second season being over, I'm suffering from Game of Thrones/Song of Ice and Fire withdrawal.

I've read all the books and the Dunk and Egg short stories.

Anyone have any recommendations on books or series of books in the fantasy genre? I realize a Song of Ice and Fire is probably the epitome, but its one of my favorite genres.

I read the first Wheel of Time book and decided its not a series I feel like pursuing. Phone Post
6/24/12 4:40 PM
Mencken
460 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Steven Erikson's Malazan series is pretty solid.  Extremely rich world
6/24/12 4:41 PM
Mencken
460 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss is good, but i've heard his second book is a huge drop off in terms of quality
6/24/12 4:43 PM
Internet
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Weird. I'm in the exact same boat. Although I read the Fire and Ice series a while ago, I just recently got round to reading Dunk and Egg (which were really good) and now am at a loss as to what to read.

And funnily enough I've literally just started the Wheel of Time and am undecided as to whether I'm that into it. What was it that put you off? For me it might be that it's a bit 'too' fantasy. I'm not far on, but it seems just a bit more cliche fantasy than GoT. Like more wizard and sorcery than knights etc.

I'm in for recommendations. Phone Post
6/24/12 4:50 PM
Louisvillain
349 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Icewind dale trilogy
-r a salvatore Phone Post
6/24/12 4:50 PM
Sagiv Lapkin
1939 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
 I'm gonna get flamed for this but......Sword of Truth series. I loved that shit.
6/24/12 4:52 PM
Poleeko
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Salvatore has a series that starts with the Highway man that is pretty good. The Darksword trilogy is decent. There is always the Shannara series which eventually ties in with the Word and Void series. Phone Post
6/24/12 4:53 PM
Wolfs Law
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Louisvillain -  Icewind dale trilogy
-r a salvatore Phone Post

6/24/12 5:08 PM
phydeau
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Modern fantasy:

Jim Butcher's Dresden Files. My favorite series right now. 13 books in the series so far. First book is Storm Front.

Kim Harrison's Hollows series. 10 books in the series so far. First book is Dead Witch Walking.
6/24/12 5:09 PM
SoccerkickrevivaL
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Sword of Truth series is cool
6/24/12 5:09 PM
SoccerkickrevivaL
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sagiv Lapkin -  I'm gonna get flamed for this but......Sword of Truth series. I loved that shit.

Didn't read first....

Yay!
6/24/12 5:11 PM
UGCTT_Benwahwah
240 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really like the Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb. There were 2 more trilogies as well that made up a nine book series. Phone Post
6/24/12 5:12 PM
SoccerkickrevivaL

Also the Shadowdale series based in Forgotten Realms during the Time of Troubles is badass! 
6/24/12 5:13 PM
Flying Teep
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Always liked the series that started with The Dragonbone Chair. It was by Tad Williams. Phone Post
6/24/12 5:13 PM
SoccerkickrevivaL

SoccerkickrevivaL -  Also the Shadowdale series based in Forgotten Realms during the Time of Troubles is badass! 

I think it goes:

Shadowdale, Tantrum, and then Waterdeep.
6/24/12 5:19 PM
Entreri
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like the Sword of Truth as well for the most part. The first 3 books of the Shannara series. IceWind Dale Trilogy.
6/24/12 5:23 PM
Machine250
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe Aercrombie

The First Law Trilogy
6/24/12 5:25 PM
Machine250
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dave Duncan

The King's Blades series
6/24/12 5:29 PM
Sar9on
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mencken -  Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss is good, but i've heard his second book is a huge drop off in terms of quality
Love both the first and second and I can't wait for the third. I've read them both 3 times already! Phone Post
6/24/12 5:33 PM
Sagiv Lapkin
1939 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
SoccerkickrevivaL - 
Sagiv Lapkin -  I'm gonna get flamed for this but......Sword of Truth series. I loved that shit.

Didn't read first....

Yay!
Yay!! ;)

6/24/12 5:34 PM
Delorian
243 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub'd. Always looking for new nerd books to get lost in. Sword of Truth series sounds good Phone Post
6/24/12 5:39 PM
SoccerkickrevivaL

These.

6/24/12 5:41 PM
Ted the OGer
321 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dragonlance? Huge series read the first few when I was much younger Phone Post
6/24/12 5:49 PM
MushroomHead
254 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ted the OGer - Dragonlance? Huge series read the first few when I was much younger Phone Post
Yea, Dragonlance was good, read those when I was 14.

I guess I should have specified that I was looking for more fantasy geared toward an older reader. Doesn't necessarily need sex like Song of Ice and Fire, but I don't think I'd enjoy something like Dragonlance now that I'm an adult. Phone Post
6/24/12 5:55 PM
SoccerkickrevivaL

MushroomHead -
Ted the OGer - Dragonlance? Huge series read the first few when I was much younger Phone Post
Yea, Dragonlance was good, read those when I was 14.

I guess I should have specified that I was looking for more fantasy geared toward an older reader. Doesn't necessarily need sex like Song of Ice and Fire, but I don't think I'd enjoy something like Dragonlance now that I'm an adult. Phone Post
Hmmm, there isn't much in the way of an "older" audience when it comes to fantasy. You either like it or you don't. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.