UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Good fantasy series (books)?

6/24/12 5:56 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
SoccerkickrevivaL
124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Have you read the Gunslinger, dark tower trilogy? Phone Post
6/24/12 6:22 PM
BonquishaBLOOD
505 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The one I just started ;) Phone Post
6/24/12 6:50 PM
Wardance5
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Best fantasy series I have read is the night angel trilogy hands down Phone Post
6/24/12 6:58 PM
Red-White-Blue
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In for S of Truth. Frustrating how some books ended but it's a great series. Contains mature concepts as well. Would love to bed Nicci if she didn't scare me so..... Phone Post
6/24/12 7:00 PM
Louisvillain
437 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Richard baker
-the last mythal Phone Post
6/24/12 7:02 PM
UGCTT_zackthewop
305 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Incarnations of immortality.

My favorite ever and most people haven't read them.

The covers of the books are kinda gay but never judge a book by its cover right? Phone Post
6/24/12 7:06 PM
TheAlchemist
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You guys should try Chinese Wuxia. Jin Yong was/is a very good author. here's a sample:

http://wuxiapedia.com/Novels/Index/Eagle-Shooting-Hero
6/24/12 7:09 PM
soliak
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Holy shit...thread into it's second page and still no mention of probably the best fantasy author - Raymond E Feist.

I highly suggest you read the Magician series, it is fantastic.
6/24/12 7:11 PM
Cryptic
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/24/12 7:22 PM
I got you covered. Pick up the Seer King series by Chris Bunch. It's a perfect mix of racy adult desires and gritty military strategy and tactics; you won't be disappointed.

6/24/12 7:13 PM
MuaySteve
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The First Law series by Joe Abercrombie

Great, well fleshed out characters. A little on the bleak side.
6/24/12 7:31 PM
Ridgeback

Even though it is sometimes categorized as science fiction, the "Shadow of the Torturer" series by Gene Wolfe is widely hailed as some of the most brilliant fantasy out there by other writers.  It is hard going sometimes and complex enough that it doesn't always work on the level of a good yarn.  I like fantasy settings, but fantasy as a genre is full of some god awful writing.
6/24/12 7:42 PM
croaker
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you like the high fantasy stuff: The Malazan series, by Erickson, is incredible. Followed by the Ice and Fire and the Wheel of Time groups

Fck the Sward of Truth. All his stuff is stolen outright from Martin and Jordan

Of course, the grandaddy of the Malazan series is The Black Company series, by Glen Cook. Guaranteed to hook you in hard and long. Also, Cook has a couple of others in the fantasy genre: The Dread Empire series, and an ongoing one called the Instrumentalities of the Night. Cook is a crusty bastard, served in Nam with Recon (I believe), and it shows. He likes to tell stories like he's talking over a beer in a bar

Tad Williams is good, also: he's got a series of books that take place in a computer game that's pretty decent modern fantasy

Now, for the 'Urban' fantasy stuff, the best is The Dresden Files. However, there are a couple of more that are really pretty good but unknown outside of the 'kindle crowd' The first is the Zero Sight series, the second is the Academy series. Both have just begun

A couple of very good books are 'Out of the Black' by Doty and 'Wearing the Cape' by Harmon. Also, I really liked 'Hero Years, I'm Dead'. I got lots more, but all of these are very good to start

Warning, Though: both the Black Company and the Dresden Files series will consume you. Don't start them unless you are prepared to do a LOT of nothing but reading. It's like taking up the pipe
6/24/12 7:55 PM
billydeewilliams
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6/24/12 8:12 PM
jason hornbuckle

"Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss is good, but i've heard his second book is a huge drop off in terms of quality"

you heard right. the 2nd one is dumb. loved the first one, won't be buying the 3rd
6/24/12 8:23 PM
Billyvee
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post
6/24/12 8:29 PM
soliak

croaker - If you like the high fantasy stuff: The Malazan series, by Erickson, is incredible. Followed by the Ice and Fire and the Wheel of Time groups

Of course, the grandaddy of the Malazan series is The Black Company series, by Glen Cook. Guaranteed to hook you in hard and long. Also, Cook has a couple of others in the fantasy genre: The Dread Empire series, and an ongoing one called the Instrumentalities of the Night. Cook is a crusty bastard, served in Nam with Recon (I believe), and it shows. He likes to tell stories like he's talking over a beer in a bar

Tad Williams is good, also: he's got a series of books that take place in a computer game that's pretty decent modern fantasy

Now, for the 'Urban' fantasy stuff, the best is The Dresden Files. However, there are a couple of more that are really pretty good but unknown outside of the 'kindle crowd' The first is the Zero Sight series, the second is the Academy series. Both have just begun

A couple of very good books are 'Out of the Black' by Doty and 'Wearing the Cape' by Harmon. Also, I really liked 'Hero Years, I'm Dead'. I got lots more, but all of these are very good to start

Warning, Though: both the Black Company and the Dresden Files series will consume you. Don't start them unless you are prepared to do a LOT of nothing but reading. It's like taking up the pipe

^^^ this guy knows whats up. props for the cook recommendation.
6/24/12 8:29 PM
Cryptic
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

croaker - If you like the high fantasy stuff: The Malazan series, by Erickson, is incredible. Followed by the Ice and Fire and the Wheel of Time groups

How many books in the The Black Company series?
6/24/12 8:34 PM
jimmy23
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Malazan novels, first one is just ok, the rest are awesome. As good as anything in the genre - I wont say better, thats a matter of preference
6/24/12 8:35 PM
vincan469
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the runelords by David Farland
6/24/12 8:35 PM
SleepBomb

eh, i think you will just be disappointed.
6/24/12 8:37 PM
QAM256
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Subd for nerd reading Phone Post
6/24/12 8:38 PM
Harlow's Rhesus
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/24/12 8:41 PM
 Malazan, First Law, Black Company, Memory, Sorrow and Thorn... And i love Rothfuss, NotW is going to be fucking huge once his first trilogy is complete and sells to a studio. Runelords has my favorite magic system, but trying to read it outside of middle school is impossible, the writing is meh.
6/24/12 8:51 PM
FingerorMoon
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mencken -  Steven Erikson's Malazan series is pretty solid.  Extremely rich world

Nice. Thread ended on the first reply.

SoccerkickrevivaL - Hmmm, there isn't much in the way of an "older" audience when it comes to fantasy. You either like it or you don't.

See above.
6/24/12 8:58 PM
jmac2007

In Phone Post
6/24/12 9:01 PM
UGCTT_AdamD

Sub Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.