UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Good fantasy series (books)?

1/10/13 2:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
invalid
211 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They really are in my opinion. Though I liked the first one more than the second, which makes me a minority in that regard. One thing Erikson does is write things intentionally vague fairly often, so you get that moment where things really come together.

So I find his books have this slow, could go in all these directions, build-up until the 3/4 mark, then you have an OH SHIT sprint to the finish where it comes together. On top of that, you get that effect over the span of whole books with the overall plot. I'm still on book 7, but so far that's the way they've read for me... and it's a big reason I've ended up liking them as much as I have.

Book 5 takes place well before the events of the other books. As a stand-alone story it holds up pretty well, but at the time I was kinda bummed not to get to continue with some of the characters I had been reading. Book 6 skips back ahead, but then 7 continues where 5 left off. Due to the whole 'sprint to the finish' style I find his books have with epic endings, book 7 has just plain flown out of the gate.

That's kind of the synergy I'm talking about, I guess. Books 1, 2, and 5 will probably be the slowest starters simply because they start their own threads. But everything else just keeps rolling faster and faster downhill.

I'm rambling.
1/10/13 2:36 PM
BadRed
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think the first malazan book is weak at all. The last 25% of it ties it together wonderfully and more than makes up for the methodical/slow start.
1/10/13 2:37 PM
BadRed

The Bridge Burners are some badass survivors. Underestimate them at your peril.
1/10/13 2:40 PM
BaldTony
236 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone bothering with the last Wheel of Time book?

I've read the wiki page, but am certainly not buying it even though it's supposed to be quite good
1/10/13 3:07 PM
Lymond
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BaldTony - Anyone bothering with the last Wheel of Time book?

I've read the wiki page, but am certainly not buying it even though it's supposed to be quite good

I'm invisible... *cries

"Memory of Light was pretty good. Some pacing issues, and too much focus on the wrong stories in some instances, but overall it was a decent end to the series. Never should have taken this long, but nicely wrapped up."
1/10/13 3:14 PM
invalid
211 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm glad you guys finally got closure, and also glad they picked a good writer to do it. Never read WoT, but I always thought it was a shame that it might never be concluded.
1/10/13 4:26 PM
BaldTony
236 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lymond - 
BaldTony - Anyone bothering with the last Wheel of Time book?

I'm invisible... *cries

"Memory of Light was pretty good. Some pacing issues, and too much focus on the wrong stories in some instances, but overall it was a decent end to the series. Never should have taken this long, but nicely wrapped up."

Sorry. Voted Up in compensation.

Was just quickly scanning the thread and missed
1/10/13 4:52 PM
jason hornbuckle

WOT has too many terrible books in the middle to be worth reading from the start, imo

i mean if you're already on book 12 or something then by all means but i wouldn't recommend it to anyone who would be starting at book 1. the series is like 5 books longer than it needs to be
1/11/13 12:02 AM
Entreri

Just finished the Memory of Light, it was good.

Here is a small spoiler:

"The Myrddraal were like water, flowing, but Lan was the wind itself. He spun between their blades, knocking back the attack to the right, then the one to the left. The Fades began cursing furiously. The one to his left rushed Lan, a sneer on its pale lips. Lan stepped to the side, then parried the creature's thrust and lopped its arm off at the elbow. He continued in a fluid stroke, his swing continuing to where he knew the other Fade would be attacking, and took its hand off at the wrist. Both Thakan'dar blades clanged to the ground. The Fades froze, stupefied for a second. Lan cut the head of one from its neck, then twisted and drove his sword through the neck of the other. Black Pebbles on Snow."

Lan Mandragoran, someone who would bitch slap Jaime Lannister around.
1/11/13 12:29 AM
PoundforPound
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For Malkier!
1/11/13 10:34 AM
jason hornbuckle

one thing that has always pissed me off about WOT is how utterly inept every single bad guy is. its pathetic

i don't think the trollocs or fades ever killed one single good guy in the whole 14 books. the best they can ever do is put a scare into some teen age farm boy, before said farm boy kills them by the dozens with a sword or axe he learned to use the day before

the series has some good points but tbh Jordan should have had trolls killing main guys like Lan or whoever from book one to establish that they were dangerous, at least dangerous in groups
1/11/13 5:56 PM
Entreri

ClayPackedB17'sFudge - 
jason hornbuckle - one thing that has always pissed me off about WOT is how utterly inept every single bad guy is. its pathetic

i don't think the trollocs or fades ever killed one single good guy in the whole 14 books. the best they can ever do is put a scare into some teen age farm boy, before said farm boy kills them by the dozens with a sword or axe he learned to use the day before

the series has some good points but tbh Jordan should have had trolls killing main guys like Lan or whoever from book one to establish that they were dangerous, at least dangerous in groups
Kill of Lan? Blasphemy!! Phone Post

This.

One of the main characters do die and many many secondary characters die in the last book.
1/12/13 2:48 AM
Poonug
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I didn't know the final book of wot came out!!! And they actually wrapped it up, holy piss. I finished the previous book and thought no way can this be nicely closed out in one book, too much to do! Phone Post
1/12/13 3:35 AM
Boondock
133 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Back for more Phone Post
1/12/13 10:49 AM
Cryptic
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

B17 - 
invalid - Those are actually the first time I've seen the thickness of the Malazan books from those pics. I'm on Reaper's Gate and it looks huge!

I'm glad Kindle only really puts percentages down so you don't really pay attention to that stuff haha. Slow parts would seem agonizing when you see exactly how much is left ahead of you

i have them on Kindle as well but, I seem to like reading from the actual book for some reason

tore through a shit ton of books when i first got it and now it just collects dust

Is it a paperwhite version? Been wanting to get one of those.
1/13/13 8:02 PM
invalid

WTF - Hedge isn't wearing his shirt made of hair. I'm calling shenanigans!
1/14/13 11:38 AM
invalid

I felt that way about Deadhouse Gates as well. I guess we're the odd ones.

Book 3 is a mind fuck
1/14/13 12:02 PM
jason hornbuckle

can't believe how many people are saying The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

no offense but i read the first one and its probably the worst fantasy book i've ever read. i could teach a class on how not to write a book with that as the textbook

i would give that my strongest possible "do not read" recommendation, if anyone is thinking about picking it up

the sword of shanarra is pretty terrible too, as is eragon. i realize different strokes for different folks and all that but i honestly think all 3 of those are just a waste of time
1/14/13 4:08 PM
jason hornbuckle

Halligalli - anyone read the Tales of Gormenghast ?
just started but i find myself looking up every second word. is it worth it?

guess ill just start with the malazan books now

the author died before finishing the 3rd book, and some say that its not very good as a result

other than that i've mostly heard good things
1/15/13 2:39 PM
Lymond
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't remember if someone mentioned this series already, but I just started on Mike Carey's Felix Castor books, and the first one was pretty damn good. I don't get some of the references, damn Brits, but it is well written. Dresden fans will dig it, imo, the first book is better than Storm Front.
1/15/13 6:39 PM
grafzep
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jason hornbuckle - can't believe how many people are saying The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

no offense but i read the first one and its probably the worst fantasy book i've ever read. i could teach a class on how not to write a book with that as the textbook

i would give that my strongest possible "do not read" recommendation, if anyone is thinking about picking it up

the sword of shanarra is pretty terrible too, as is eragon. i realize different strokes for different folks and all that but i honestly think all 3 of those are just a waste of time

agree wholeheartedly
1/15/13 7:56 PM
G-S-D
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Honestly the WOT was great until book 7 or 8, then it slows way down but still not a bad read. I would skip the Brandon Sanderson WOT books and just read the wiki.

I tried to read the The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant but I found it very hard to get into.

I never read the Shanarra series of books.
1/16/13 3:36 AM
PoundforPound
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I liked the Shannara books. At least the original trilogy anyway.

Eragon does suck though.
1/16/13 5:14 AM
ss_thai
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The blade itself by joe Abercrombie is ducking awesome!!! Phone Post
1/16/13 5:55 AM
ss_thai
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MushroomHead -
invalid -
Delorian -  40 pages into The Blade Itself and I'm loving it! My cod these characters, they're so awesome. Phone Post

Glotka for President
Cosca is my man.

.....or Friendly. Phone Post
I've almost finished the first book. I get the feeling Glokta will save the day in the end Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.