UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Good fantasy series (books)?

1/16/13 10:50 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Einar
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Jay Edz -  I apologise for my negativity o. joe Abercrombie. After reading the heroes and now on to Res Country I have come to the realisation that it is indeed quite bleak and sometimes downright disturbing; it is HIGHLY entertaining. Phone Post

The Heroes was awesome, my favourite Abercrombie book.

1/16/13 10:59 AM
Anthony
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ClayPackedB17'sFudge - 
jason hornbuckle - one thing that has always pissed me off about WOT is how utterly inept every single bad guy is. its pathetic

i don't think the trollocs or fades ever killed one single good guy in the whole 14 books. the best they can ever do is put a scare into some teen age farm boy, before said farm boy kills them by the dozens with a sword or axe he learned to use the day before

the series has some good points but tbh Jordan should have had trolls killing main guys like Lan or whoever from book one to establish that they were dangerous, at least dangerous in groups
Kill of Lan? Blasphemy!! Phone Post

I am man enough to admit that when I read Lan go for the final embrace, I stopped reading due to being seriously distraught.

No more spoilers than that. I am satisfied with the AMOL.
1/16/13 11:26 AM
MushroomHead
305 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I haven't gotten to Red Country yet. I've heard Ninefingers is in it, and Cosca too. What other recurring characters are there? Phone Post
1/16/13 1:26 PM
reverend john
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would just like to say, that I love Tehol and Bugg and that I want to see Brys fight Mok the Segulah third

rev
1/16/13 2:26 PM
invalid
228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I haven't been reading very much these past two weeks but plan on getting a lot of Reaper's Gate in tonight. I've really, really fallen in love with this plot.

So what happens in the WOT books around book 7 or 8? It seems that most people stop there.
1/16/13 2:49 PM
BaldTony
253 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"
So what happens in the WOT books around book 7 or 8?"

Nothing happens. Literally. It's tedious, badly written, badly plotted nonsense at that point.
1/16/13 4:30 PM
FingerorMoon
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Deadhouse Gates is the best of the Malazan books.
Followed closely by Memories of Ice.

If you didn't like either of those, I wouldn't read on.
1/16/13 4:39 PM
invalid
228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FingerorMoon - 

I couldn't disagree more
1/16/13 6:38 PM
invalid

Memories of Ice is pretty damn fantastic. There are several parts in there when I just had to sit the book down and digest what my braingrapes was reading
1/16/13 7:16 PM
FingerorMoon
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

invalid - 
FingerorMoon - 

I couldn't disagree more

Which volumes do you like better?

My 3rd favorite is Midnight Tides.
I think it started to go off the rails with v6 but the series as a whole is still my favorite ever.
1/16/13 7:20 PM
gotya
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post
1/16/13 7:22 PM
G-S-D
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

invalid - I haven't been reading very much these past two weeks but plan on getting a lot of Reaper's Gate in tonight. I've really, really fallen in love with this plot.

So what happens in the WOT books around book 7 or 8? It seems that most people stop there.

It switches more to the female arcs as well as Perrin.
1/16/13 7:23 PM
invalid

Which volumes do you like better?

My 3rd favorite is Midnight Tides.
I think it started to go off the rails with v6 but the series as a whole is still my favorite ever.

I'm still on Reaper's Gale, but Deadhouse has been my least favorite so far. Just a personal preference.
1/16/13 7:26 PM
gotya
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MushroomHead - I haven't gotten to Red Country yet. I've heard Ninefingers is in it, and Cosca too. What other recurring characters are there? Phone Post
Nine fingers isn't in it just a reference 2 him coaca is though jezal makes small appearance as well as the wizard with the different color eyes Phone Post
1/16/13 10:39 PM
MushroomHead
305 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gotya -
MushroomHead - I haven't gotten to Red Country yet. I've heard Ninefingers is in it, and Cosca too. What other recurring characters are there? Phone Post
Nine fingers isn't in it just a reference 2 him coaca is though jezal makes small appearance as well as the wizard with the different color eyes Phone Post
Is Bremer in it with Jezal?

Is Friendly with Cosca? Phone Post
1/17/13 1:03 AM
UGCTT_Jay Edz
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gotya -
........Did you just spoil Red Country for me? Phone Post
1/17/13 1:17 AM
Einar
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Jay Edz - 
gotya -
........Did you just spoil Red Country for me? Phone Post

lol, no he didnt.

You should read it, mate.
1/18/13 5:18 AM
UGCTT_Jay Edz
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can't be bothered to go through every single page but has anyone read The Name Of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss? Phone Post
1/18/13 12:24 PM
invalid

UGCTT_Jay Edz -  I can't be bothered to go through every single page but has anyone read The Name Of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss? Phone Post

I don't believe so. Good stuff?

1/18/13 12:32 PM
UGCTT_Jay Edz

invalid -
UGCTT_Jay Edz -  I can't be bothered to go through every single page but has anyone read The Name Of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss? Phone Post

I don't believe so. Good stuff?

I'm not sure tbh, it's his debut novel and my cousin just recommend it to me. I think I'll give it a try when I'm done with Red Country. Phone Post
1/18/13 1:01 PM
blunt minded
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great book. Just finished the 2nd in the series, The Wise Man's Fear. Will definitely reread before the 3rd comes out.
1/18/13 1:02 PM
invalid

Tell me more? I'm already backed up trying to finish Malazan and then the last three Abercrombie books.

But hell, it's not like a Kindle can't store more than 20 books lol
1/18/13 1:28 PM
blunt minded
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's about this inn keeper that has made up a new identity for himself and is hiding out of the way. The inn keeper, Kote, used to be a hero known as Kvothe. He was known by all and there were many stories about him. A man called The Chronicler somehow finds him and knows who he is. The Chronicler wants to write his story in Kote's own words. It switches back and forth from past to present, as they take breaks from the story. I suck at summarizing, but it's definitely worth a read. Give it a few chapters and you'll be sucked in.
1/18/13 1:31 PM
invalid

Sounds pretty good
1/18/13 1:41 PM
blunt minded

Edited: 01/18/13 1:45 PM
yes, he starts from when he was a boy. His people were called the Edema Ruh. They were a traveling troupe that were the greatest performers in the four corners. An alchemist joins them on the road one day when they stop at a town and starts to teach Kvothe Sympathy(magic). I won't say what happens after that cause I don't want to ruin anything. But the Sympathy aspect in the stories is pretty interesting. You can tell the author put a lot of time into it and it doesn't seem too magical, if that makes any sense.

the name of the series is The Kingkiller Chronicle btw

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.