UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Good fantasy series (books)?

1/18/13 1:31 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
invalid
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds pretty good
1/18/13 1:41 PM
blunt minded
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/18/13 1:45 PM
yes, he starts from when he was a boy. His people were called the Edema Ruh. They were a traveling troupe that were the greatest performers in the four corners. An alchemist joins them on the road one day when they stop at a town and starts to teach Kvothe Sympathy(magic). I won't say what happens after that cause I don't want to ruin anything. But the Sympathy aspect in the stories is pretty interesting. You can tell the author put a lot of time into it and it doesn't seem too magical, if that makes any sense.

the name of the series is The Kingkiller Chronicle btw
1/18/13 1:59 PM
waxwing slain
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I want to be civil but also offer my opinion Phone Post
1/18/13 2:01 PM
waxwing slain
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oops. Damn app. So - I offer my civil opinion.

Anyway, I really disliked name of the wind.

I found it to be pretty much a Harry Potter clone.

Buyer beware. Phone Post
1/18/13 2:10 PM
Mencken
441 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Probably been mentioned, since we're on page 33, but I just started Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn.  I'm quite enjoying it so far

1/18/13 3:08 PM
slam1523
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

blunt minded - yes, he starts from when he was a boy. His people were called the Edema Ruh. They were a traveling troupe that were the greatest performers in the four corners. An alchemist joins them on the road one day when they stop at a town and starts to teach Kvothe Sympathy(magic). I won't say what happens after that cause I don't want to ruin anything. But the Sympathy aspect in the stories is pretty interesting. You can tell the author put a lot of time into it and it doesn't seem too magical, if that makes any sense.

the name of the series is The Kingkiller Chronicle btw

Sympathy is like Thaumaturgy from Master of the Five Magics by Hardy.

Here is the description from wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_the_Five_Magics

Thaumaturgy

The Principle of Sympathy: Like produces like.
The Principle of Contagion: Once together, always together.

The Art of Thaumaturgy consisted of applying the Principles to create a transitory effect. Thaumaturgy produces no lasting magical effects, but can be quite powerful, nonetheless.

The Principle of Sympathy means that to create an effect, we must look for things in nature that resemble or produce that effect and use them. A feather can lessen weight, a bit of honey can sweeten, a splinter of iron can give strength, a bit of lodestone can produce guidance, etc. Most normal materials possess one or more characteristics that can be useful, and the more strongly they possess the characteristic, the more useful the material is in Thaumaturgy.

The Principle of Contagion states that if something is once part of or associated with another thing, it remains indelibly connected to it and can be used to influence that other. Naturally, an actual piece of the target is the best, but there are various degrees of sympathy, ranging from a part of the same item, to a part of the same construct, to a long-associated item, down to something that has been in the presence of the target once. Each will work, which is one of the things that make Thaumaturgy the most general of the Arts. However, the energy required to link the target with the spell is greatly modified by the sympathetic connection available. If you wish to kill a man, for example, you will need much less energy if you have a piece of his hair. If you have only a picture of him, you may need several orders of magnitude more energy to kill him, and if you know only his name, several more. The very simplest thaumaturgical effect, involving the Principle of Sympathy alone, is to move a larger object by moving a small piece of it. This can be a parlor trick, if done with floating balls or scarves, or it can be an act of violent war, if done with a multi-tonne boulder. The difference between the two spells lies only in the energy invested.

The energy for Thaumaturgy comes from the natural world. Most practitioners use fire, as it is commonly available and easy to obtain, but other forms of heat, lightning, lava, etc. can be used, depending on the amount required. Simple spells can even be performed using the heat from the caster’s own body, though it is not unknown for young Thaumaturges to kill themselves by overdoing this process.

This need for energy makes Thaumaturgy simultaneously the most powerful and the least powerful Art, and both the most and least complicated to use. A Sorcerer, for example, is limited in his power by how much of his own life force he wishes to expend in a spell, but a Thaumaturge may simply build a bigger fire—quite an advantage! But without a prepared source of energy, the Thaumaturge is limited to what he can do with his body heat, and dare try only the very simplest of cantrips. Similarly, an Alchemist can simply drink a potion to gain an effect, but a Thaumaturge may need to take an hour to prepare a roaring fire to gain enough energy—or may take no time at all, if he has an existing forest fire to work with!
1/18/13 3:15 PM
Lymond
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^Wolverton was good. Have you read the Felix Castor series? It's my new obsession.
1/18/13 3:27 PM
slam1523
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lymond - ^Wolverton was good. Have you read the Felix Castor series? It's my new obsession.

I've heard of it but never read.

I'll give it a try.
1/18/13 9:16 PM
grafzep
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Einar - 
UGCTT_Jay Edz - 
gotya -
MushroomHead - I haven't gotten to Red Country yet. I've heard Ninefingers is in it, and Cosca too. What other recurring characters are there? Phone Post
Nine fingers isn't in it just a reference 2 him coaca is though jezal makes small appearance as well as the wizard with the different color eyes Phone Post
........Did you just spoil Red Country for me? Phone Post

lol, no he didnt.

You should read it, mate.

lol and he is being something less than truthful

Red Country is excellent, maybe 4th just behind the first three and ahead of Heroes and Best Served Cold

I really like Mike Carey's Felix Castor stuff.

Rook by Daniel O'Malley is really good and alot of fun. X-men meets Buffy meets X-files, in England. Loved it.

Richard Khadrey's Sandman Slim books I like as well
1/18/13 11:32 PM
UGCTT_Jay Edz
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

waxwing slain - Oops. Damn app. So - I offer my civil opinion.

Anyway, I really disliked name of the wind.

I found it to be pretty much a Harry Potter clone.

Buyer beware. Phone Post
Harry potter clone? Been reading Harry Potter since I was nine years old (24 now) thanks for the glowing recommendation, will give it a try. Phone Post
1/21/13 12:45 PM
Blackguilt
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

blunt minded -
UGCTT_Jay Edz -  I can't be bothered to go through every single page but has anyone read The Name Of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss? Phone Post

Great book. Just finished the 2nd in the series, The Wise Man's Fear. Will definitely reread before the 3rd comes out.
I second this, one of those books that are hard to put down once you start. The pacing and flow are top notch. Phone Post
1/22/13 12:37 PM
CrazyPope
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone read way of kings by Brandon Sanderson? Just finished it, and I really enjoyed it. The plot was interesting, as were the characters, and it was very entertaining, especially as it progressed. Unfortunately the next book isn't being released until late this year.
1/22/13 1:29 PM
MushroomHead
236 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CrazyPope - Anyone read way of kings by Brandon Sanderson? Just finished it, and I really enjoyed it. The plot was interesting, as were the characters, and it was very entertaining, especially as it progressed. Unfortunately the next book isn't being released until late this year.
That was one of the books discussed earlier in this thread.

The consensus was that it was, in fact, a very great book. Phone Post
1/22/13 1:34 PM
stiganar
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
1/25/13 6:24 AM
ss_thai
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bump Phone Post
1/25/13 7:09 AM
nikcon
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Blackguilt - 
blunt minded -
UGCTT_Jay Edz -  I can't be bothered to go through every single page but has anyone read The Name Of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss? Phone Post

Great book. Just finished the 2nd in the series, The Wise Man's Fear. Will definitely reread before the 3rd comes out.
I second this, one of those books that are hard to put down once you start. The pacing and flow are top notch. Phone Post

I agree... these are well written, and they're really fun to read through a second time. It's cool how much of the stuff from later in the story is referenced very early on.
1/25/13 8:43 AM
Skeletor68
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

invalid - 
Which volumes do you like better?

My 3rd favorite is Midnight Tides.
I think it started to go off the rails with v6 but the series as a whole is still my favorite ever.

I'm still on Reaper's Gale, but Deadhouse has been my least favorite so far. Just a personal preference.

That's so strange. I thought Deadhouse was the best too. Gardens was good but Deadhouse just had me sold for life. I thought that after Midnight Tides they have all lost a little more focus. I mean that as a testament to how good the previous ones were though, I love the entire series.

My top three line up exactly with yours FingerOrMoon, that's weird.

1/25/13 8:45 AM
Skeletor68
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also, I'm just about 80 pages into Forge of Darkness, trying to get momentum going (work keeps getting in the way).

There is a moment around 50 pages in that will make Anomander Rake fan's dicks explode.

1/25/13 12:46 PM
UGCTT_AdamD
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CrazyPope - Anyone read way of kings by Brandon Sanderson? Just finished it, and I really enjoyed it. The plot was interesting, as were the characters, and it was very entertaining, especially as it progressed. Unfortunately the next book isn't being released until late this year.
Just started it actually, only read the first chapter or so, so far. Decided I'd read The Old Kingdom series first before I made any more progress on it.

About halfway through Sabriel at the moment, alternating between reading it and listening to the audiobook with Tim Curry.

Anyone read any of the Gentlemen Bastard series? I just finished the first two books and I'm super dissapointed to find out the sequels are still in progress due to some kind of medical issue the author is having. The first 2 books were a couple of the best books I've read in years though. Phone Post
1/25/13 1:09 PM
invalid
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've want to read Mistborn.

Amazon has the trilogy paperback set for $15 and $20 for Kindle, so I'm going to probably go ahead and order later tonight.
1/25/13 1:10 PM
invalid

and lol @ I've want to read Mistborn.

Mongo Love Mistborn!
1/25/13 1:11 PM
invalid

agh - triple post (sort of)

Anyone read any of the Gentlemen Bastard series? I just finished the first two books and I'm super dissapointed to find out the sequels are still in progress due to some kind of medical issue the author is having. The first 2 books were a couple of the best books I've read in years

Ok, that is a badass name. What is this series about?

My list is growing too quickly!
1/25/13 1:17 PM
Lymond
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_AdamD - 
Just started it actually, only read the first chapter or so, so far. Decided I'd read The Old Kingdom series first before I made any more progress on it.

About halfway through Sabriel at the moment, alternating between reading it and listening to the audiobook with Tim Curry.

Anyone read any of the Gentlemen Bastard series? I just finished the first two books and I'm super dissapointed to find out the sequels are still in progress due to some kind of medical issue the author is having. The first 2 books were a couple of the best books I've read in years though. Phone Post

Yup, Lynch's books are awesome. Depression is what is keeping the sequels from coming out. Sucks that even being successful isn't enough for him to overcome it.

invalid, they're like Ocean's 11 meets fantasy, if Ocean's 11 didn't suck like a two dollar whore.
1/25/13 2:01 PM
thefaint
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ClayPackedB17'sFudge -
invalid - I've want to read Mistborn.

Amazon has the trilogy paperback set for $15 and $20 for Kindle, so I'm going to probably go ahead and order later tonight.
I've heard good things. When I'm done with Malazan in five years I'm thinking that would be a good one to pick up Phone Post
If you have an ereader, you should try to track Sanderdson down on Reddit (/u/mistborn). I mentioned that I had been wanting to read Mistborn, he asked for my email and sent me an ePub that same night for free. Phone Post
1/25/13 2:02 PM
invalid

ClayPackedB17'sFudge - 
invalid - I've want to read Mistborn.

I've heard good things. When I'm done with Malazan in five years I'm thinking that would be a good one to pick up Phone Post

lol I'm in the same boat.

At least it's a really good boat. More like a yacht. With hoes.

I keep telling myself I'm 1/3 through Book 7. Then realize that book 7 is almost 1300 pages, and there still 5400 to go after that (according to Amazon)

LOL

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.