UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Good fantasy series (books)?

2/16/13 4:12 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Anthony
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Jay Edz - 

Has anyone picked up 'Daylight War' by Peter Brett?

I'm still reading Red Country at the moment but will be getting on daylight war asap after.

I finished it the other day. It's longer than the other books, and really builds the characters associated with the two Deliverers. What sucks the most about it, is we have to wait another 2 years or so before the next one.
2/16/13 10:47 PM
Machine250
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Jay Edz - 

Has anyone picked up 'Daylight War' by Peter Brett?

I'm still reading Red Country at the moment but will be getting on daylight war asap after.

Picked it up yesterday.  So far, meh......really really meh.......

2/17/13 12:39 AM
invalid
221 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"You can never have too many knives."
2/19/13 8:31 PM
slam1523
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

got this from sffworld.

January:
-- Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson, A Memory of Light
-- Warren Ellis, Gun Machine
-- Adam Roberts, Atom Robots [collection]
-- Robert V. S. Redick, The Night of the Swarm
-- R. S. Belcher, The Six-Gun Tarot
-- L. E. Modesitt Jr., Imager's Batallion
-- Steven Gould, Impulse
-- Jay Lake, Kalimpura
-- Myke Cole, Shadow Ops: Fortress Frontier
-- Michelle West, Battle
-- Cassandra Rose Clarke, The Mad Scientist's Daughter
-- Mark Teppo, Earth Thirst
-- Miles Cameron, The Red Knight [US]
-- Elona Andrews, Magic Bites [special edition]
-- Neil Gaiman, The Books of Magic [deluxe edition]

February:
-- Peter V. Brett, The Daylight War
-- Karen Lord, The Best of All Possible Worlds
-- Caitlin R. Kiernan [as Kathleen Tierney], Blood Oranges
-- Robert Jackson Bennett, American Elsewhere
-- Angelica Gorodischer, Trafalgar [in english translation]
-- Gail Carriger, Etiquette and Espionage
-- Marie Brennan, A Natural History of Dragons
-- Marissa Meyer, Scarlet
-- Cory Doctorow, Homeland
-- Maureen Johnson, The Madness Underneath
-- C. Robert Cargill, Dreams and Shadows
-- Melanie Rawn, Elsewhens
-- Mark Chadbourn, The Devil's Looking Glass [US]
-- Evie Manieri, Blood's Pride [US]
-- Elspeth Cooper, Trinity Moon [US]
-- Francis Knight, Fade to Black [debut]

March:
-- Elizabeth Bear, Shattered Pillars
-- Nalo Hopkinson, Sister Mine
-- Robin Hobb, Blood of Dragons
-- Cassandra Clare, The Clockwork Princess
-- Julie E. Czerneda, A Turn of Light
-- Ellen Datlow and Teri Windling [eds], Queen Victoria's Book of Spells
-- Terry Brooks, The Bloodfire Quest
-- Alaya Dawn Johnson, The Summer Prince
-- Patricia Briggs, Frost Burned
-- Seanan McGuire, Midnight Blue Light Special
-- David Weber, Shadow of Freedom
-- David Walton, Quintescence
-- Andrew Pyper, The Demonologist
-- Austin Grossman, You
-- Peter Higgins, Wolfhound Century [debut]
-- M. John Harrison, Empty Space [US]

April:
-- Guy Gavriel Kay, River of Stars [US]
-- Ian Tregillis, Necessary Evil
-- Joe Hill, NOS4A2
-- Stella Gemmell: The City [UK]
-- M. L. N. Hanover, Graveyard Child
-- Paul Cornell, London Falling [US]
-- Sofia Samatar, A Stranger in Olondria [debut novel, short fiction previously published]
-- Ted Kosmatka, Prophet of Bones
-- Ken Kalfus, Equilateral
-- Brian McClellan, Promise of Blood [debut]

May:
-- Daniel Abraham, The Tyrant's Law
-- John Scalzi, The Human Division
-- Charlaine Harris, Dead Ever After
-- Ian Cameron Esslemont, Blood and Bone [US]
-- Holly Black, Doll Bones
-- Raymond E. Feist, Magician's End
-- Chris Wooding, Silver
-- Paul S. Kemp, A Discourse of Steel
-- Benjamin Percy, Red Moon
-- J. R. R. Tolkien, The Fall of Arthur [early poem, incomplete]
-- Jonathan Strahan [ed], The Fearsome Journeys: The New Solaris Book of Fantasy

June:
-- Neil Gaiman, The Ocean at the End of the Lane
-- Lauren Beukes, The Shining Girls
-- James S. A. Corey, Abaddon's Gate
-- Christopher Priest, The Adjacent [UK]
-- Ben Aaronovitch, Broken Homes [UK]
-- Stephen King, Joyland
-- Elizabeth Moon, The Limits of Power
-- Kate Elliott, Cold Steel
-- Ken Scholes, Requiem
-- Will McIntosh, Love Minus Eighty
-- Madeline Ashby, ID
-- Stella Gemmell, The City [US]

July:
-- Anthony Ryan, Blood Song
-- Charles Stross, Neptune's Brood
-- Charlie Huston, Skinner
-- Richard Kadrey, Kill City Blues
-- Guy Gavriel Kay, River of Stars [UK hardcover; UK ebook to be available in April]
-- Paul McAuley, Evening's Empires [UK]
-- Elspeth Cooper, The Raven's Shadow [UK]

August:
-- Mark Laurence, Emperor of Thorns
-- Naomi Novik, Blood of Tyrants [US]
-- Jim C. Hines, Codex Born
-- Alastair Reynolds, On the Steel Breeze [UK]
-- Chris Wooding, The Ace of Skulls [UK]
-- Terry Brooks, Witch Wraith
-- Brandon Sanderson, Steelheart
-- Adam Roberts, Twenty Trillion Leagues Under the Sea [UK]
-- Jeff Salyards, Veil of the Deserters
-- Adrian Tchaikovsky, War Master's Gate [UK]
-- Michael Sullivan, The Crown Tower
-- Joel Shepherd, 23 Years on Fire

September:
-- Stephen King, Doctor Sleep
-- Michael J. Sullivan, The Rose and the Thorn
-- Holly Black, The Coldest Girl in Coldtown
-- Stephen Baxter, Proxima [UK]
-- Greg Egan, The Arrows of Time

October:
-- George R. R. Martin and Gardner Dozois [eds], Old Mars
-- Tina Connolly, Copperhead
-- Max Gladstone, Two Serpents Rise
-- Beth Bernobich, Allegiance

November:
-- Robert Charles Wilson, Burning Paradise
-- Gene Wolfe, The Land Across

December:
-- Ian Tregillis, Something More Than Night

No Exact Date:
-- Jonathan Stroud, The Screaming Staircase [fall]
-- Robin McKinley, Shadows
2/19/13 8:57 PM
grafzep
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Guy Gavriel Kay is an excellent writer and everything by him is good.
2/20/13 8:04 AM
Samantha_Mumbas_Chocolate_Nips
219 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have to say I have found Malazan awful. I cant stick with it anymore. 63% of the way through second book and I could not imagine caring any less for these characters. I thought certain bits with Baudin, Felisin and Heboric were entertaining enough, but there was little else. Way too much of a chore to make myself read.

I was determined to stick with it until the third as recommended, but I am thinking that if it takes the guy nearly two thousand pages before his characters become anyway interesting, then he is probably just a bad writer.

Started an Elmore Leonard book today , which I will finish in a day or two. Might try Malazan again then , but I am really mystified as to what people like about it.
2/21/13 10:04 AM
Skeletor68
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Samantha_Mumbas_Chocolate_Nips - I have to say I have found Malazan awful. I cant stick with it anymore. 63% of the way through second book and I could not imagine caring any less for these characters. I thought certain bits with Baudin, Felisin and Heboric were entertaining enough, but there was little else. Way too much of a chore to make myself read.

I was determined to stick with it until the third as recommended, but I am thinking that if it takes the guy nearly two thousand pages before his characters become anyway interesting, then he is probably just a bad writer.

Started an Elmore Leonard book today , which I will finish in a day or two. Might try Malazan again then , but I am really mystified as to what people like about it.

May just not be for you then dude. I was fairly hooked at that point. I think, that far into the second one you should probably finish it as Coltaine's story is pretty fantastic, and if you're still in doubt after that just abandon ship.

2/21/13 10:21 AM
the pimp
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Boondock - Almost done with the final Wheel of Time book, "A Memory of Light."

Sanderson has breathed fresh air into the series and is sewing it up nicely... Yet violently.

I am VERY ready for him to put out his follow up to "Way of Kings".... Which was a GREAT read. Supposed to be a 10 book saga. Phone Post
Nice! I'm on Knife of Dreams and looking forward to how it will get wrapped up. Last two books were probably the worst in the series but I hear The Gathering Storm is awesome. Phone Post
2/21/13 9:43 PM
Machine250
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

slam1523, voted up......thanks for that list
2/21/13 9:49 PM
Death and Taxes
1393 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the pimp - 

Sanderson has breathed fresh air into the series and is sewing it up nicely... Yet violently.

I am VERY ready for him to put out his follow up to "Way of Kings".... Which was a GREAT read. Supposed to be a 10 book saga. Phone Post
Nice! I'm on Knife of Dreams and looking forward to how it will get wrapped up. Last two books were probably the worst in the series but I hear The Gathering Storm is awesome. Phone Post

Crossroads of Twilight was horrible. 

You're entering the Sanderson books soon. It gets much better. 

2/22/13 1:30 PM
Boondock
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Death and Taxes -
the pimp - 

Crossroads of Twilight was horrible. 

You're entering the Sanderson books soon. It gets much better. 

The end was great. I'm satisfied. Phone Post
2/22/13 3:54 PM
UGCTT_Jay Edz
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Samantha_Mumbas_Chocolate_Nips - I have to say I have found Malazan awful. I cant stick with it anymore. 63% of the way through second book and I could not imagine caring any less for these characters. I thought certain bits with Baudin, Felisin and Heboric were entertaining enough, but there was little else. Way too much of a chore to make myself read.

Yeah I stuck it out for two books but I've given up now. Was a chore and I didn't like any of the characters. Phone Post
2/23/13 12:56 PM
Boondock
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Jay Edz -
Samantha_Mumbas_Chocolate_Nips - I have to say I have found Malazan awful. I cant stick with it anymore. 63% of the way through second book and I could not imagine caring any less for these characters. I thought certain bits with Baudin, Felisin and Heboric were entertaining enough, but there was little else. Way too much of a chore to make myself read.

Yeah I stuck it out for two books but I've given up now. Was a chore and I didn't like any of the characters. Phone Post
Same. And I'm a voracious reader. Reading was laborious and in the end I wasn't entertained or having fun. Phone Post
2/27/13 12:38 AM
Machine250

Finished The Daylight War (Peter Brett).

What a let down in the series. Teriffic concept for a universe, but the 1st 400 pages of this volume read like,a romance novel. Horrible.
2/27/13 12:47 AM
shootfighterbull
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm halfway through 'the name of the wind' and enjoying it. It's no asoiaf, but it's good nonetheless. Phone Post
2/27/13 2:01 AM
Mihow
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I cant believe theres a shining sequel ... i cant believe Im going to read it and I cant believe I will have to buy a paperback to read Joyland
3/4/13 3:04 AM
Boondock

shootfighterbull -  I'm halfway through 'the name of the wind' and enjoying it. It's no asoiaf, but it's good nonetheless. Phone Post

I really enjoyed the writing style of that one.

Be sure to pick up Sanderson's, "The Way of Kings."

3/4/13 5:16 AM
JSho
325 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Trudy Canavan - the black magician trilogy is quite good Phone Post
3/4/13 5:34 AM
JSho
325 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MushroomHead - What is the Magician series by Raymond E Feist?

Looking at his wiki, there's nothing named The Magician series? Phone Post
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magician_(novel) Phone Post
3/4/13 11:05 AM
Lymond
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Machine250 - Finished The Daylight War (Peter Brett).

What a let down in the series. Teriffic concept for a universe, but the 1st 400 pages of this volume read like,a romance novel. Horrible.

Unbelievable how bad that book is. I don't understand how the people involved didn't realize it, and make changes.
3/4/13 11:36 AM
Skeletor68
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JSho - 
MushroomHead - What is the Magician series by Raymond E Feist?

Looking at his wiki, there's nothing named The Magician series? Phone Post
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magician_(novel) Phone Post

It's under the Riftwar saga. The first three in that series is entertaining enough, but I found it a little shallow. Worth trying the first one to see if you like it anyways.

3/4/13 7:16 PM
j-money
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lymond - 

Unbelievable how bad that book is. I don't understand how the people involved didn't realize it, and make changes.

I didn't get past the first book. I liked the concept of the world: the corelings and the ward magic, but most of the book was boring, cliche, and corny fantasy.
3/7/13 11:20 AM
Machine250

The Red Knight by Miles Cameron.

Solid read so far. A little choppy on the multi viewpoint narration but after about 200 pages iy smooths out pretty well.

About 2/3 through, well worth it.
3/7/13 11:54 AM
Lymond
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

j-money - 
Lymond - 

I didn't get past the first book. I liked the concept of the world: the corelings and the ward magic, but most of the book was boring, cliche, and corny fantasy.

Definitely wasn't groundbreaking, but it was entertaining. That level of book I regard as the same as watching a mindless action flick, and I read fairly fast, so I don't mind powering through a mediocre but fun book. Unfortunately, the latest is really, really terrible.

Just finished a couple Stanislaw Lem books, and Dodger by Pratchett. Dodger is not fantasy, but it is the usual Pratchett style, and was damn good. Lem's books were ok, I was expecting more by the way he is lauded, but still interesting reads. The ideas were better than the writing, imo.
3/9/13 6:19 PM
j-money
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stella Gemmell, David Gemmell's widow, has a new novel coming out. She finished his Troy series after he died. Here's a synopsis of it:

The City is ancient, layers upon layers. Once a thriving metropolis, it has sprawled beyond its bounds, inciting endless wars with neighboring tribes and creating a barren wasteland of what was once green and productive.

In the center of the City lives the emperor. Few have ever seen him, but those who have recall a man in his prime, though he should be very old. Some grimly speculate that he is no longer human, if he ever was. A small number have come to the desperate conclusion that the only way to stop the war is to end the emperor’s unnaturally long life.

From the mazelike sewers below the City, where the poor struggle to stay alive in the dark, to the blood-soaked fields of battle, where few heroes manage to endure the never-ending siege, the rebels pin their hopes on one man—Shuskara. The emperor’s former general, he was betrayed long ago and is believed to be dead. But, under different aliases, he has survived, forsaking his City and hiding from his immortal foe. Now the time has come for him to engage in one final battle to free the City from the creature who dwells at its heart, pulling the strings that keep the land drenched in gore.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.