UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Good fantasy series (books)?

4/23/13 8:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
invalid
211 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I plan on reading the Lies of Locke Lamora (sp)/Gentleman Bastard series after I finish up with Malazan.

Allegedly the next book is finished and in the publisher's hands for a Fall release.

Anyone have any idea how many he plans to write in the series because I try and stick to a strict "don't read an unfinished series" rule :P
5/7/13 6:44 PM
invalid
211 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone have any recommendations for Audiobooks?

My new commute is about 2 hours daily and I would like to stream some books in my car. Specifically using Audbible's service (owned by Amazon) since I have been so happy with their Kindle service (both product and cross-platform app)
5/7/13 6:51 PM
Keep if professional
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

B17 - 

Finished The Blade Itself last night and it was amazing.  Bayaz is the fucking man.

Started The Bonehunters today.  Ive got a feeling its gonna get wild in the Malazan world.

You need to read Before They are Hanged and The Last Argument of Kings. Bayaz is pretty awesome, but he's also a total scumbag.
5/7/13 6:55 PM
invalid

I think everyone in Abercrombie's world could be called a scumbag haha
5/7/13 7:22 PM
MushroomHead
294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

invalid - Anyone have any recommendations for Audiobooks?

My new commute is about 2 hours daily and I would like to stream some books in my car. Specifically using Audbible's service (owned by Amazon) since I have been so happy with their Kindle service (both product and cross-platform app)
Did you play the video game Dragon Age: Origins?

The books that were written as a background to that game were pretty enjoyable on audiobook. If you havent played the game you probably wouldnt enjoy them. Phone Post
5/7/13 7:23 PM
MushroomHead
294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Keep if professional -
B17 - 

Finished The Blade Itself last night and it was amazing.  Bayaz is the fucking man.

Started The Bonehunters today.  Ive got a feeling its gonna get wild in the Malazan world.

You need to read Before They are Hanged and The Last Argument of Kings. Bayaz is pretty awesome, but he's also a total scumbag.
The way Abercrombie develops/morphs his characters between the first and third book is truly masterful, especially Bayaz. Phone Post
5/7/13 7:34 PM
Rick_Cain
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just started listening to The wheel of time series. On about chapter 8 of the first book. Hasn't hooked me in quite yet. Phone Post 3.0
5/7/13 7:35 PM
cfraze
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post
5/7/13 9:37 PM
Machine250
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

invalid - Anyone have any recommendations for Audiobooks?

Between Two Fires Christopher Buehlman

Solid writing and narration

Not sword and sorcery, but medieval angels and demons
5/7/13 9:40 PM
Machine250
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dont know if its on audible
5/7/13 10:12 PM
Machine250

Audiobook I am listening to now, pretty good contemporary fantasy.

Last Call by Tim Powers.

Just looked now to see who the narrator is. Its freakin Bronson Pinchot. Go Balky!
5/7/13 10:43 PM
Machine250

By the way, post #17 of this 38 page thread was me saying, bros read the First Law Trilogy.

Voted myself up
5/7/13 10:57 PM
Rick_Cain
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

invalid - Anyone have any recommendations for Audiobooks?

If you haven't read or listened to the ASOIAF series yet that's a must for audiobooks. Phone Post 3.0
5/7/13 10:58 PM
MushroomHead

I read the ASoIaF books, but heard part of a friend listening to them and I personally did not care for the narrator.
5/7/13 11:08 PM
jimmy23
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.amazon.com/1632-Ring-of-Fire-ebook/dp/B00BEQLQNE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367982456&sr=8-1&keywords=1632

1632 In the year 1632 in northern Germany a reasonable person might conclude that things couldn't get much worse. There was no food. Disease was rampant. For over a decade religious war had ravaged the land and the people. Catholic and Protestant armies marched and countermarched across the northern plains, laying waste the cities and slaughtering everywhere. In many rural areas population plummeted toward zero. Only the aristocrats remained relatively unscathed; for the peasants, death was a mercy.

2000 Things are going OK in Grantville, West Virginia. The mines are working, the buck are plentiful (it's deer season) and everybody attending the wedding of Mike Stearn's sister (including the entire membership of the local chapter of the United Mine Workers of America, which Mike leads) is having a good time.

THEN, EVERYTHING CHANGED....

When the dust settles, Mike leads a small group of armed miners to find out what's going on. Out past the edge of town Grantville's asphalt road is cut, as with a sword. On the other side, a scene out of Hell; a man nailed to a farmhouse door, his wife and daughter Iying screaming in muck at the center of a ring of attentive men in steel vests. Faced with this, Mike and his friends don't have to ask who to shoot.

At that moment Freedom and Justice, American style, are introduced to the middle of The Thirty Years War.

5/8/13 12:24 AM
stobe
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sub
5/8/13 12:26 AM
RKing85
162 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

not a huge fantasy reader, but i have heard good things about S.M. Stirling's Emberverse series.
5/8/13 8:05 AM
Skeletor68
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

First two Malazan books on Audible now. Listening with my gf who hasn't read the books.

5/8/13 2:48 PM
PoundforPound
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That actually sounds like an intriguing premise, Jimmy23.
5/8/13 3:26 PM
slam1523

PoundforPound - That actually sounds like an intriguing premise, Jimmy23.

1632 can be downloaded for free from the Baen Free Libary.

if you like it, read Mother of Demons by Flint. it was his debut novel.
5/8/13 6:18 PM
invalid

Skeletor68 - 

First two Malazan books on Audible now. Listening with my gf who hasn't read the books.

How is the quality? I was thinking about listening to them since it's been a while since I started the series and I'm still slowly working through Toll of the Hounds
5/8/13 6:44 PM
diggity

Sub this thang like a chicken wang.... Of ice and fire. Phone Post 3.0
5/8/13 6:54 PM
gord96
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Jay Edz - Just finished Name of the Wind and REALLY enjoyed it.

And to the person who compared it to Harry Potter, other then the fact that it takes part for a while in a university; I see no comparison whatsoever.

I didn't get in to it right away but by the end I was completely hooked. Phone Post 3.0

Listening to the audiobook now. Started off slow but picks up nicely after he goes to university. I have heard mixed opinions about the second book though.
5/8/13 7:02 PM
G-S-D
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gord96 - 
UGCTT_Jay Edz - Just finished Name of the Wind and REALLY enjoyed it.

And to the person who compared it to Harry Potter, other then the fact that it takes part for a while in a university; I see no comparison whatsoever.

I didn't get in to it right away but by the end I was completely hooked. Phone Post 3.0

Listening to the audiobook now. Started off slow but picks up nicely after he goes to university. I have heard mixed opinions about the second book though.

First and second books are both pretty slow.
5/8/13 7:12 PM
Passive Jay
1811 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/08/13 8:31 PM

In the last couple weeks I have read "Terms of Enlistment" decent but the writer leaves the story hanging in the hope that you will buy the next book (that is not out yet). Its a sci fi story about a guy that joins the service to get out of the slums. "Extinction Point" pretty good but also does not finish the story, its about a weird alien virus, cant say much else without spoiling parts. Then I read Dont be a Hero" Great book, premise is that it is 1970 and superheroes have won world war two but have been gradually legislated out of existance ever since. Today I started the sequel to "BlackJack: Villian" called "BlackJack Wayward".

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.