UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Good fantasy series (books)?

5/13/13 6:42 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Skeletor68
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

B17 - 
invalid -
Skeletor68 - 

First two Malazan books on Audible now. Listening with my gf who hasn't read the books.

How is the quality? I was thinking about listening to them since it's been a while since I started the series and I'm still slowly working through Toll of the Hounds
I'm catching up to you bro Phone Post

Ralph Lister does a good job on the reading. Honestly it is a tall order to do voices for all of the characters but he is pretty good at the male ones. Female ones grate slightly but overall the quality is great.

If I won the lottery I would totally commission a BBC radio play of the entire series. If you've never listened to the one for The Lord of the Rings you are missing out!

5/13/13 8:59 AM
PoundforPound
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Finally got done reading the last book in the Wheel of Time series. It's a fast read for being 900+ pages, lots of action on various fronts with various characters.

Pretty much any loose end you can think of got tied up. But some of them less satisfactorily than others IMO. In a couple of cases it came across as if too little effort was put in.

But this damn story had grown so large that I'm sure Sanderson just wanted to end it already.
5/13/13 9:25 AM
aatard
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post 3.0
5/13/13 9:25 AM
invalid
244 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Skeletor68 - 
B17 - 
invalid -
Skeletor68 - 

First two Malazan books on Audible now. Listening with my gf who hasn't read the books.

How is the quality? I was thinking about listening to them since it's been a while since I started the series and I'm still slowly working through Toll of the Hounds
I'm catching up to you bro Phone Post

Ralph Lister does a good job on the reading. Honestly it is a tall order to do voices for all of the characters but he is pretty good at the male ones. Female ones grate slightly but overall the quality is great.

If I won the lottery I would totally commission a BBC radio play of the entire series. If you've never listened to the one for The Lord of the Rings you are missing out!

I went ahead and signed up for Audible - it's made the commute a lot more enjoyable for sure. Lister is pretty solid but man... some of those voices crack me up lol. I also forgot just how different Paran was written in GotM.

I hope you're catch up, B17! I've only just got to 52% on TotH. It's a good book, so it's not like I'm burnt out - life just is being a jerk right now :(
5/13/13 9:38 AM
Skeletor68
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shit I should have said you can get a discount if you go to audiblepodcast.com/wizard (for you idle thumbs listeners), sorry Invalid!

5/13/13 10:12 AM
diggity
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Are dunk and egg available as ebooks? Phone Post 3.0
5/13/13 10:30 AM
Joeymarvelous
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MushroomHead -
Ted the OGer - Dragonlance? Huge series read the first few when I was much younger Phone Post
Yea, Dragonlance was good, read those when I was 14.

I guess I should have specified that I was looking for more fantasy geared toward an older reader. Doesn't necessarily need sex like Song of Ice and Fire, but I don't think I'd enjoy something like Dragonlance now that I'm an adult. Phone Post
Dragonlance is interesting. The prose is atrocious, but the characters are deep enough to keep you going. Phone Post
5/13/13 10:34 AM
Passive Jay
2141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joeymarvelous - 
MushroomHead -
Ted the OGer - Dragonlance? Huge series read the first few when I was much younger Phone Post
Yea, Dragonlance was good, read those when I was 14.

I guess I should have specified that I was looking for more fantasy geared toward an older reader. Doesn't necessarily need sex like Song of Ice and Fire, but I don't think I'd enjoy something like Dragonlance now that I'm an adult. Phone Post
Dragonlance is interesting. The prose is atrocious, but the characters are deep enough to keep you going. Phone Post

excellent description, v.u. sir.
5/13/13 10:37 AM
Passive Jay
2141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Finished Blackjack:Wayward and start on Superpowered:Year 1 yesterday, premise is that superpowered people have to go to college to take classes to be certified as a hero, actually pretty good so far.

5/13/13 10:40 AM
sourcheese
261 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dune. Amazing book. Excellent series of books. Phone Post
5/13/13 11:18 AM
UGCTT_Jay Edz
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No one else reading Magicians End? If give read the rest if the saga it's a nostalgia orgasm. That's the only correct way to describe it Phone Post 3.0
6/1/13 5:53 PM
invalid
244 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Man, the first chapter in the last book of Toll of the Hounds is probably Erikson's best writing so far.  I read that and immediately knew I am staying in tonight so I can finish this book

Holy shit

6/1/13 5:55 PM
PRIMALCROWN
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post
6/1/13 6:50 PM
Mihow
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

invalid -

Man, the first chapter in the last book of Toll of the Hounds is probably Erikson's best writing so far.  I read that and immediately knew I am staying in tonight so I can finish this book

Holy shit

Remind me? I'm 79% through book nine but can never remember the book names Phone Post 3.0
6/1/13 7:28 PM
invalid

It's book 8 and about that same that same percentage in.  I'm going to spoiler it since the way it's written kind of gave me some theories to chew on but its

The entire chapter narrated by Kruppe and he breaks the 4th wall the entire time

6/2/13 5:52 PM
Skeletor68

Boss

6/2/13 6:04 PM
Passive Jay

Finished "No Hero", book about a private investigator that specializes in superheros, decent book but nothing special. also finished "Just Cause" book about an 18 year old superhero starting her career and joining the same supergroup that her mother was in and that her grandmother help start, better then I thought it would be but still fairly amateur writing. The I read "Swordmage" first book in a forgotten realm series, I liked it enough to buy the second book in the series and am reading that now.
6/2/13 6:13 PM
YVEL MACHIDA
500 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post
6/4/13 10:52 AM
invalid

Finished book 8, Toll of the Hounds two days ago and had to let that one sink in.  Had no idea what direction that book was heading towards.  

Expected some more answers for the series overall since there are now only 2 books for me left and still so many mysteries - damn that Erikson lol

6/4/13 12:08 PM
NotsoMightySkull
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gord96 - 
UGCTT_Jay Edz - Just finished Name of the Wind and REALLY enjoyed it.

And to the person who compared it to Harry Potter, other then the fact that it takes part for a while in a university; I see no comparison whatsoever.

I didn't get in to it right away but by the end I was completely hooked. Phone Post 3.0

Listening to the audiobook now. Started off slow but picks up nicely after he goes to university. I have heard mixed opinions about the second book though.

Just finished the second book. I do not really understand the issues some people have with it. I really enjoyed it. I think it has the same tone.
The second book feels more like he is telling you stories of his past then watching as events unfold.
It was not as good as the first one but still very good.

It gets a lot done to setup the third book like every middle book does in a trilogy
6/4/13 12:13 PM
NotsoMightySkull
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RKing85 - not a huge fantasy reader, but i have heard good things about S.M. Stirling's Emberverse series.

First 3 books are good
6/4/13 1:29 PM
MrMead
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Passive Jay - Finished "No Hero", book about a private investigator that specializes in superheros, decent book but nothing special. also finished "Just Cause" book about an 18 year old superhero starting her career and joining the same supergroup that her mother was in and that her grandmother help start, better then I thought it would be but still fairly amateur writing. The I read "Swordmage" first book in a forgotten realm series, I liked it enough to buy the second book in the series and am reading that now.

Check out "A Once Crowded Sky", if you liked "No Hero".
6/4/13 1:33 PM
MrMead
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

invalid - I plan on reading the Lies of Locke Lamora (sp)/Gentleman Bastard series after I finish up with Malazan.

Allegedly the next book is finished and in the publisher's hands for a Fall release.

Anyone have any idea how many he plans to write in the series because I try and stick to a strict "don't read an unfinished series" rule :P

I loved both of these books. Even though they continue the story, they can be read as stand alone books.

Had no idea the 3rd one was coming out. Highly recommend them!
6/4/13 8:24 PM
gotya
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post 3.0
6/5/13 8:26 PM
grafzep
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BadLuck13 - I would of swore I put my suggestion in 2 days ago but apparently it didn't go through. I hate novels but this book "monster hunters international" was so good I read it cover to cover and I just found out there are 3 sequels. It's pretty badass. If someone who hates reading can enjoy it I'm sure others will too Phone Post 3.0

Larry Corriea can really write. The third book in that series is the best imo. He also writes a series called Spellbound and Hard Magic that are historical magic crime noir, very entertaining. Then he has a military thriller series he writes with another guy that I like as well. He's a big guy and a gun nut like myself and i like they way he incorporates that into his stories.

Check out Jonathon Maberry as well. He has a zombie series that I havent read. A horror line starting with Ghost Road Blues that is excellent. Lastly, my favorite, a action thriller with genre elements called the Joe Ledger series.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.