UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Good fantasy series (books)?

6/4/13 8:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
gotya
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post 3.0
6/5/13 8:26 PM
grafzep
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BadLuck13 - I would of swore I put my suggestion in 2 days ago but apparently it didn't go through. I hate novels but this book "monster hunters international" was so good I read it cover to cover and I just found out there are 3 sequels. It's pretty badass. If someone who hates reading can enjoy it I'm sure others will too Phone Post 3.0

Larry Corriea can really write. The third book in that series is the best imo. He also writes a series called Spellbound and Hard Magic that are historical magic crime noir, very entertaining. Then he has a military thriller series he writes with another guy that I like as well. He's a big guy and a gun nut like myself and i like they way he incorporates that into his stories.

Check out Jonathon Maberry as well. He has a zombie series that I havent read. A horror line starting with Ghost Road Blues that is excellent. Lastly, my favorite, a action thriller with genre elements called the Joe Ledger series.
6/5/13 10:02 PM
invalid
230 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

B17 - 
invalid - 

Finished book 8, Toll of the Hounds two days ago and had to let that one sink in.  Had no idea what direction that book was heading towards.  

Expected some more answers for the series overall since there are now only 2 books for me left and still so many mysteries - damn that Erikson lol

Ive heard he really ties it up well

Yeah, I'm not really too concerned.  There actually was a really cool story/mystery finished in Book 8 without giving any spoilers.  Then again, like another two huge ones seemed to start on top of the main story going forward at full steam. 

I'm just eager to see the giant payoff haha considering how highly I rate his individual books having a good climaxes... can't wait to see what 10 books worth is like with this author.

6/5/13 10:03 PM
invalid
230 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MrMead - 
invalid - I plan on reading the Lies of Locke Lamora (sp)/Gentleman Bastard series after I finish up with Malazan.

Allegedly the next book is finished and in the publisher's hands for a Fall release.

Anyone have any idea how many he plans to write in the series because I try and stick to a strict "don't read an unfinished series" rule :P

I loved both of these books. Even though they continue the story, they can be read as stand alone books.

Had no idea the 3rd one was coming out. Highly recommend them!

Don't quote me on that third book release.  I know that a while ago Amazon had it listed for pre-order.  Not sure where that stands.  I'm really eager to start these because they seem really fun.

I think I'll break my "don't start a fantasy series before the author completes them" rule haha

6/5/13 10:25 PM
shadallion
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire) is levels of magnitude better than everything else.

I've read or tried to read most of these, and it's night and day. Phone Post
6/5/13 10:27 PM
Mihow
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shadallion - Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire) is levels of magnitude better than everything else.

lol Phone Post 3.0
6/7/13 4:17 AM
diggity
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

B17 -
shadallion -  Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire) is levels of magnitude better than everything else.

you high as giraffe pussy

Memories of Ice alone kills the entire ASOIAF series thus far

What is this 'memories if ice' you speak of? Phone Post 3.0
6/7/13 11:23 AM
Skeletor68
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Memories of Ice is more from Steven Erikson's Malazan series.

www.audiblepodcast.com/wizard 

Get a free month of audiobook membership

Get Erikson's Gardens of the Moon for free.

If you like the sound of it buy the books. They really take off and suck you in.

6/7/13 11:53 AM
invalid

I started book 2's audio edition this week.  Lister really does a great job making each character feel different.  I'm hoping I like this book more the second time around than I did when reading it since I guess I'm weird in liking GotM more :P

Lazy Friday off.  Starting Dust of Dreams right now

6/7/13 11:58 AM
invalid

MrMead - 
invalid - I plan on reading the Lies of Locke Lamora (sp)/Gentleman Bastard series after I finish up with Malazan.

Allegedly the next book is finished and in the publisher's hands for a Fall release.

Anyone have any idea how many he plans to write in the series because I try and stick to a strict "don't read an unfinished series" rule :P

I loved both of these books. Even though they continue the story, they can be read as stand alone books.

Ah, here we go -

http://www.amazon.com/The-Republic-of-Thieves-ebook/dp/B004J4WLIM/ref=sr_1_4?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1370620554&sr=1-4&keywords=lies+of+locke+lamora

Oct, 2013

It already has the page numbers set so it has to be finished and with the editor.  Cool stuff.

BTW, 1000 for the thread!

6/7/13 12:02 PM
Lymond
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^Oh that's awesome, looking forward to Lynch's new one. Steven Brust has a new one coming out in September, The Incrementalists, that he wrote with some woman I've never heard of. Seems interesting (and if you haven't read his Vlad Taltos books, do so, they're fun as hell):

"The Incrementalists—a secret society of two hundred people with an unbroken lineage reaching back forty thousand years. They cheat death, share lives and memories, and communicate with one another across nations, races, and time. They have an epic history, an almost magical memory, and a very modest mission: to make the world better, just a little bit at a time. Their ongoing argument about how to do this is older than most of their individual memories.

Phil, whose personality has stayed stable through more incarnations than anyone else’s, has loved Celeste—and argued with her—for most of the last four hundred years. But now Celeste, recently dead, embittered, and very unstable, has changed the rules—not incrementally, and not for the better. Now the heart of the group must gather in Las Vegas to save the Incrementalists, and maybe the world."
6/7/13 12:03 PM
Scb669
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dark tower Phone Post 3.0
6/7/13 12:04 PM
Passive Jay
2053 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just finished "Corsair" and am about to start the last book in the blades of the moonsea series "Avenger"
6/7/13 8:17 PM
MrMead
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

invalid -
MrMead - 

Ah, here we go -

http://www.amazon.com/The-Republic-of-Thieves-ebook/dp/B004J4WLIM/ref=sr_1_4?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1370620554&sr=1-4&keywords=lies+of+locke+lamora

Oct, 2013

It already has the page numbers set so it has to be finished and with the editor.  Cool stuff.

BTW, 1000 for the thread!

Awesome news, thanks. Phone Post
6/7/13 8:52 PM
Delightone
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

On your recommendation i got the kingkiller books, farseer trilogy, and dunk and egg books.

Going on vacation for 2 weeks to turkey, so alot of beach reading to do hope you fuckers were right about those books Phone Post
6/8/13 4:02 AM
Man in Block
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
6/8/13 1:45 PM
Passive Jay
2053 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/08/13 1:45 PM

Shit, I cant believe I havent mentioned "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant" 10 book series. I have actually only read the first 6 and didnt know he had put out four more until I went to the wiki to copy/paste the description for you guys.

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant is a series of ten high fantasy novels written by American author Stephen R. Donaldson. The series began as a trilogy, entitled The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever. This was followed by another trilogy, The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, and finally a tetralogy, The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. Thomas Covenant, an embittered and cynical writer, afflicted with leprosy and shunned by society, is fated to become the heroic savior of The Land, an alternate world. In six novels published between 1977 and 1983, he struggles against the satanic Lord Foul, "The Despiser", who intends to escape the bondage of the physical universe and wreak revenge upon his arch-enemy, "The Creator". Some elements are similar to those found in Richard Wagner's epic "Ring Cycle" and in earlier Celtic literature, but with some of the values inverted. Stephen R. Donaldson's works are infused with psychological undertones involving an exploration of the darker side of the protagonist Thomas Covenant whilst preserving strong humanist ideals. The contextual richness of the Land's varied geography, races, cultures and history enables all three series of the Chronicles to explore and expand upon an increasingly diverse and storied environment.

6/14/13 12:46 AM
Machine250
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stella Gemmel's first solo novel after David Gemmel's death.

The City.

She can fuckin write. It is very good.
6/23/13 3:57 PM
Passive Jay

Has anyone mentioned Anne McCaffrey yet?

Lots of good books. Her Dragonriders books are great but I think my favorite are her "Crystal Singer" books.
6/23/13 3:58 PM
ss_thai
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Delightone - On your recommendation i got the kingkiller books, farseer trilogy, and dunk and egg books.

Going on vacation for 2 weeks to turkey, so alot of beach reading to do hope you fuckers were right about those books Phone Post
I just finished the farseer trilogy, I'd recommend going straight from that into the golden fool trilogy. It follows on almost immediately from the farseer Phone Post 3.0
6/23/13 5:46 PM
j-money
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm about to read King of Thorns. Prince of Thorns was good, and it looks like the third novel is out next month. After that, I'm reading The Legend of Huma and Kaz the Minotaur. Those two should be some fun Dragonlance novels.
6/23/13 6:25 PM
Keep if professional
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

j-money - I'm about to read King of Thorns. Prince of Thorns was good, and it looks like the third novel is out next month. After that, I'm reading The Legend of Huma and Kaz the Minotaur. Those two should be some fun Dragonlance novels.

I started Prince of Thorns the other day, but the author lost me in the first chapter. It's hard enough for me to accept 15 and 16 year old kids being badasses in Song of Ice and Fire, but a fucking 12 year old? Nah. Plus the dumb shit in the story, like the main character murdering one of his men for second guessing him and grown men just standing around instead of putting him down.
6/23/13 6:56 PM
MushroomHead
308 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Keep if professional -
j-money - I'm about to read King of Thorns. Prince of Thorns was good, and it looks like the third novel is out next month. After that, I'm reading The Legend of Huma and Kaz the Minotaur. Those two should be some fun Dragonlance novels.

I started Prince of Thorns the other day, but the author lost me in the first chapter. It's hard enough for me to accept 15 and 16 year old kids being badasses in Song of Ice and Fire, but a fucking 12 year old? Nah. Plus the dumb shit in the story, like the main character murdering one of his men for second guessing him and grown men just standing around instead of putting him down.
I made it about about 2/3 through Prince, but what turned me off was the author's writing style. Just didn't seem to flow very well.

I could look past your criticism of a 12 year old, because in my mind he was 17 or 18. That's one of the things reading has over TV and movies, you have to use your imagination, and in my case, if a character seems older than what the author says, that's how I imagine them. Phone Post
6/23/13 7:21 PM
j-money

Keep if professional - 

I saw him as a child prodigy genius who's obviously not your typical 13 year old. I could see where his age could cause people to dislike the story though. It is far fetched. It wasn't the best fantasy I've ever read, but I enjoyed it. For me it was a fun book.
6/24/13 8:47 AM
invalid

The biggest complaint I've read about that series is that it's so over the top with the cruel stuff the character does.  I know it's a bit common in the fantasy genre now, but if even GRRM seems (to me) to fall into this trap, the stuff I read about this was just... wow lol

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.