UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Good fantasy series (books)?

6/25/13 10:19 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
YVEL MACHIDA
527 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anybody read The False Prince? Has good reviews on Google Play i just dont want to waste my time if its directed towards younger readers.

I guess its part of a triology called Ascendence. Phone Post
6/25/13 11:54 AM
MushroomHead
343 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

invalid -

The biggest complaint I've read about that series is that it's so over the top with the cruel stuff the character does.  I know it's a bit common in the fantasy genre now, but if even GRRM seems (to me) to fall into this trap, the stuff I read about this was just... wow lol

Elaborate? Phone Post
6/25/13 12:00 PM
cawsie77
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Louisvillain - Icewind dale trilogy
-r a salvatore Phone Post
This Phone Post 3.0
6/25/13 12:02 PM
Lymond
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

YVEL MACHIDA -  Anybody read The False Prince? Has good reviews on Google Play i just dont want to waste my time if its directed towards younger readers.

I guess its part of a triology called Ascendence. Phone Post

Amazon lists it under children's books.

Recently finished River of Stars by Guy Gavriel Kay. Continues in the China like setting from his last. As with his last few, it's more historical fiction, with small elements of fantasy. Pretty awesome regardless, though it loses steam towards the end, otherwise I'd be raving about it because it had me riveted until then.
6/25/13 5:49 PM
reverend john
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

B17 -  I finished The Bonehunters this past week. Whoa. What an amazing book.

About 100 pages into Reapers Gale. Phone Post

that is right where I am... of course its my third time :)

rev
6/25/13 5:55 PM
LeroyJ
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Subd Phone Post
6/27/13 10:40 AM
waxwing slain
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Started a Malazan re-read last week. Already on Memories of Ice.

Malazan is a fucked up series where you have to read every inscrutable word of all ten books, comprehend about 40% of what's happening, then start over again and it finally falls into place...ourobourosian bros. Phone Post 3.0
6/27/13 10:45 AM
invalid
251 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just got an email from Audible for $10 off any purchase.  Any recommendations on something I might not feel so bad about listening to instead of reading?  I've never read Sanderson's stuff before but was wondering if that would be worth more attention than listening to while driving.

6/27/13 11:20 AM
Passive Jay
2276 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

waxwing slain - Started a Malazan re-read last week. Already on Memories of Ice.

Malazan is a fucked up series where you have to read every inscrutable word of all ten books, comprehend about 40% of what's happening, then start over again and it finally falls into place...ourobourosian bros. Phone Post 3.0

This!

I am about a third of the way into the first book and it feels like I missed a couple books! hopefully I wont feel so lost once I have read more.
6/27/13 11:40 AM
waxwing slain
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Passive Jay -
waxwing slain - Started a Malazan re-read last week. Already on Memories of Ice.

This!

I am about a third of the way into the first book and it feels like I missed a couple books! hopefully I wont feel so lost once I have read more.
Starting with the end of book 1 you will catch on enough - the series will either grab you or it won't.

The next two books will still fuck with you by introducing but not explaining several other ancient races/gods/etc, but the main storyline is so good it won't matter. Phone Post 3.0
6/27/13 12:21 PM
Lymond
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

invalid - 

Just got an email from Audible for $10 off any purchase.  Any recommendations on something I might not feel so bad about listening to instead of reading?  I've never read Sanderson's stuff before but was wondering if that would be worth more attention than listening to while driving.

Sanderson is perfect for listening, imo. His ideas are much better than his prose.
6/27/13 12:27 PM
Mencken
704 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been reading the Riyria Revelations series by Michael J. Sullivan.  It's not brilliant, but is a fun enough read. 

6/27/13 12:27 PM
fingers 'n' teeth
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

finished Malazan last night

epic.

lots of loose ends tho
6/27/13 3:24 PM
PoundforPound
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I purchased The Name of the Wind yesterday based on some of the recommendations here.

Hope it doesn't suck!
6/27/13 5:26 PM
reverend john
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

B17 - 
reverend john - 

rev

Quick Ben aint no bitch.

Trull is very quickly becoming my personal hero.

Karsa annoyed me a little in this book.  He lacked the humility that head built up in HOC.

Kalam.

Sinn and Bottle are fucking awesome.

Ganoes is a fucking wildcard!

I would say Karsa's humility came from being humbled, but now he has grown into a supreme confidence, instead of his youthful bravado.

He is one of my favorite characters, but I think Tehol is my favorite, followed by Fiddler, and Quick Ben and Kalam are pretty cool too. I love so many characters and hate so many that its just amazing. Tool is pretty bad ass as well.

rev
6/27/13 9:25 PM
Machine250
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Promise of Blood

Book 1 of the Powder Mage Trilogy

Brian McClellan

About 100 pages in, and its very good so far
6/27/13 10:44 PM
TimmyTapOut
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To save me going through 40 something pages of titles, has anyone made a list yet of all the suggestions and recommendations?

I made one a while ago when this thread was younger but haven't read it lately.

I'll post a list later if nobody else has already.

I facking love d/loading ebook torrents. Thanks for all the contributions - good thread OP!!
6/27/13 11:38 PM
RockTheVote
577 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Into book two of the mistborn trilogy. Good so far. Got a chapter or the into malazan. Lost interest Phone Post
6/28/13 10:01 AM
invalid
251 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I haven't even finished the Malazan series and ***maybe minor spoiler?*** already know the epic Kruppe vs Iskaral Pust Donkey showdown was the best part lol

Thanks for the recommendation, Lymond

6/28/13 3:12 PM
reverend john

B17 - 
reverend john - 
B17 - 
reverend john - 

rev

Quick Ben aint no bitch.

Trull is very quickly becoming my personal hero.

Karsa annoyed me a little in this book.  He lacked the humility that head built up in HOC.

Kalam.

Sinn and Bottle are fucking awesome.

Ganoes is a fucking wildcard!

I would say Karsa's humility came from being humbled, but now he has grown into a supreme confidence, instead of his youthful bravado.

He is one of my favorite characters, but I think Tehol is my favorite, followed by Fiddler, and Quick Ben and Kalam are pretty cool too. I love so many characters and hate so many that its just amazing. Tool is pretty bad ass as well.

rev

Good point about Karsa.  I think maybe a fight with a certain other amazing bad ass and almost winning, could be call for more confidence.  Too bad he got surprised before it could continue.  And why is Urko, a human, so much stronger than Karsa?  That should not be true.

Tehol is amazing.  So is Bugg.  That scene with Bugg and the woman from the Rat Catchers Guild was pure gold.

I love all the characters mostly.  I dont care for Kruppe or Pust.  I just dont like the spastic on and on rambling.

Brys Beddict.  Fuck.  I truly feel like he could take on and defeat 99% of all the swordsmen in the series.  Im on RG and so far, I think maybe a top 5 Seguleh, a top 3 T'lan Imass, Dasseem, and a healthy Whiskeyjack are the only ones who could compete.  Imagine him vs Trull?!?!  That would be cool to see how he deals with the spear.

I feel Caladan Brood was underdeveloped and could have been so much more so far in the series.  Awesome character and I love that his warrens are "nothing fancy" so to speak.  I think he truly is like a magnified Whiskeyjack in a lot of ways.

Kulp is another character that should have got more love in the story.  So cool seeing him develop his skill so quickly on the fly like that.  He was like a "crunch time" mage.  He had it when he needed it for a while there.

spoilers all over the place

Urko is almost ascendant.

Brys is one of my favorite characters as well, I would like to see him vs Mok. For all purposes Mok was probably equal to the first, Lady Envy speculates that he may have been sent away before he challenged him because his skill was so refined.

Dasseem was an ascendant I think he and others like Rake could beat Brys... maybe. Trull is now ascendant too, so he could possibly beat Brys.

Brood was under developed.

I would like their to be a whole series dedicated to Icarium, and another to Karsa.

rev
6/28/13 3:16 PM
ShocknAwe
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't know if this has been mentioned but the The Fionavar Tapestry series by Guy Gavriel Kay is excellent!
6/30/13 12:06 PM
waxwing slain

Rev - I think a Karsa trilogy is planned after he finishes the Rake trilogy. Phone Post 3.0
6/30/13 12:38 PM
reverend john

I need to start on the Rake trilogy

rev
6/30/13 12:59 PM
Mihow
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

is the rake trilogy those books he wrote after that are shorter? I'm on book 10 for the second time (second time through series) the first time I didn't want to read the last 10 pages because I didn't want it to end ... and I never went back

this needs a movie trilogy or HBO series
6/30/13 10:27 PM
CrazyPope
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RockTheVote -  Into book two of the mistborn trilogy. Good so far. Got a chapter or the into malazan. Lost interest Phone Post

I really enjoyed the first book in mistborn, but I just lost interest in the second one. Without spoiling anything, I just don't really care about any of the characters left.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.