UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Good fantasy series (books)?

6/27/12 12:49 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Cuhulain
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/27/12 12:49 AM
o also a book i highly recommend,but good luck finding the bastard is Villains by Necessity by Eve L. Forward excellent read,wish they'd reprint the fucking thing.
6/27/12 1:01 AM
Cuhulain
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MushroomHead - Surprisingly, after trips to the library and Barnes and Noble, I'm having trouble finding a lot of the books mentioned.

Amazon is your friend
6/27/12 1:24 AM
Cryptic
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MushroomHead - Surprisingly, after trips to the library and Barnes and Noble, I'm having trouble finding a lot of the books mentioned.

Ebay and Amazon, dude. Also any used bookstore in your area. I get all my books for a fraction of the price. I just purchased a lot of 8 books off ebay for $7.00 with free shipping.
6/27/12 1:27 AM
Shogun of Harlem
220 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Belgariad series and the Malloreon series from David Eddings.
6/27/12 1:38 AM
Cryptic
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MushroomHead - What is the Magician series by Raymond E Feist?

Looking at his wiki, there's nothing named The Magician series? Phone Post

This. It's actually the Riftwar series.

6/27/12 1:43 AM
Cryptic

croaker - '...Always take advice on Dark Fantasy books from someone named Croaker...'

Damn straight. If Cook was a little more sparse with his prose, it would be epic poetry

And a big thumbs up for the guy that listed Good Omens and American Gods

Also, there's a subgenre of stories using superheroes...some of which are surprisingly good. Like, 'In Hero years, I'm Dead', or 'Memoirs of an anti-hero', or 'nobody gets the girl'. Let me know if you want to know more

I've also got a bunch of alien infection/zombie type stuff that I've been itching to let people know about. Let me know if you're interested in that stuff

I read, a lot

I'd like to hear about any alien, zombie, or apocalyptic books you enjoy.
6/27/12 2:44 AM
in_different
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd love if people would give a short summary from the books they recommend. It'd go a long way towards convinicing me of reading that series

There are just too many recommendations here to wiki every one.

Of the 8 I looked up seer king and name of the wind sound the most interesting
6/27/12 2:04 PM
G-S-D
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Check out JV Jones' Sword of Shadow Series. It is a good series, in my opinion it is a lot better then the Wheel of Time series, especially the later books.
6/27/12 2:08 PM
G-S-D
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sword of Truth was so bad...the first book was okay but it just goes to crap after that and it is pretty clear the writer just stole ideas from better books and authors. How many times can the hero's girlfriend get almost raped and beaten in a series?!?
6/27/12 2:10 PM
bearockbrobama
258 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt Phone Post
6/27/12 9:25 PM
2buff
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post
6/27/12 9:48 PM
UGCTT_Jay Edz
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hockeychick - Mistborn series was pretty solid. Good world development and writing, keeps your interest. For me, what was interesting was the fact the writer is Mormon and if you understand the Mormon religion, you have a better understanding of what a Hero of Ages is, it's not a slam, just an interesting thought.
Care to elaborate? I've read the Mistborn series and also his 'The Way Of Kings' so would be interested to hear more about how his writing ties into his beliefs. Phone Post
6/27/12 10:13 PM
MushroomHead
345 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Jay Edz -
hockeychick - Mistborn series was pretty solid. Good world development and writing, keeps your interest. For me, what was interesting was the fact the writer is Mormon and if you understand the Mormon religion, you have a better understanding of what a Hero of Ages is, it's not a slam, just an interesting thought.
Care to elaborate? I've read the Mistborn series and also his 'The Way Of Kings' so would be interested to hear more about how his writing ties into his beliefs. Phone Post
I'd also be interested in hearing more. I don't know much about Mormonism aside from what I learned from the South Park Mormon episode and also that the founder of Mormonism and his brother were both Freemasons so the Mormon testament/book of Mormon has a lot of Freemason ideals. Phone Post
6/27/12 11:26 PM
croaker

Cryptic 
I'd like to hear about any alien, zombie, or apocalyptic books you enjoy.

OK, here'e some of the better stuff I've read

Zombies were a fad for me. Here are a few that I thought were very worth it. I'll start with these, though there are more
World war z, of course. Patterned after Nam and The Good War
Patient Zero: violent stuff by mayberry. Guy stuff
Tooth and Nail: warning UNKNOWN CLASSIC. Army company stuck in the new york apocalypse. This will end up on your shelf for ever. Craig DiLouie
LZR-1143: good new stuff. Kind of similar to...
Day By day Armageddon. Excellent stuff

Alien stuff, I'm going to make a distinction from SF that is not based on Earth, but maybe I'll go into near future SF
infected and Contagious. Two novels that will give you a blue steel testosterone hard on. If you read them, you will buy them, and you will reread them. I'm still thinking about changing my signature from Croaker to Scary Perry
Icarus Void. Just read this. impressive
Below Mercury. Hard near SF for the Tom Clancy techno-thriller crowd. I will be looking for this author for awhile

This is a start. I have a bunch more for later if these don't hit the spot
Oh, almost forgot: in the realm of occult fantasy, add the sandman slim books and the stuff by Michael Langlois...I really liked his Bad Radio Emergent Earth book. Needs sequels

6/28/12 12:40 AM
grafzep
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

G-S-D - Check out JV Jones' Sword of Shadow Series. It is a good series, in my opinion it is a lot better then the Wheel of Time series, especially the later books.

I usually don't like female authors but I really like JV Jones and she has a couple of series out that are just excellent.

Malazan is a commitment at first but is totally worth it.

There is a series by an author named Bakker? The Thousandth Fold thought or something like that. Read several and they are in the Malazan mold and very adult. Good stuff.

For lighter faster reads you can't go wrong with Jim Butcher and Larry Corriea. Both guys are just fantastic.
6/28/12 7:01 AM
WhirrunOfBligh
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Abercrombie is awesome. His most recent, The Heroes, is my favourite book ever.

Really enjoyed Black Company stuff and am now on the second Malazan book having really enjoyed the first.

Name of the Wind... got to agree, second novel was real let down. Phone Post
6/28/12 8:22 AM
UGCTT_Jay Edz
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WhirrunOfBligh - Abercrombie is awesome. His most recent, The Heroes, is my favourite book ever.

Really enjoyed Black Company stuff and am now on the second Malazan book having really enjoyed the first.

I like his books but bleak don't even begin to describe it! Phone Post
6/28/12 9:02 AM
WhirrunOfBligh
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Jay Edz -
WhirrunOfBligh - Abercrombie is awesome. His most recent, The Heroes, is my favourite book ever.

Who, Abercrombie? True, but I think The Heroes has a lot more charm and humour that gives some balance. I don't find him a depressing read.

Looking forward to his next one; Red Country I think. Phone Post
6/28/12 9:35 AM
Adam588

In Phone Post
6/28/12 11:08 AM
UGCTT_Jay Edz

WhirrunOfBligh -
UGCTT_Jay Edz -

Who, Abercrombie? True, but I think The Heroes has a lot more charm and humour that gives some balance. I don't find him a depressing read.

I haven't read Heroes yet, the last I read was Best Served Cold. Was good but I need to read something a bit uplifting afterwards to balance it out. Phone Post
6/28/12 11:15 AM
QAM256
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm starting to regret subbing this thread. Enough material listed to keep me busy for years. Phone Post
6/28/12 11:17 AM
Ogami Itto
229 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Once and Future King

/thread
6/28/12 11:19 AM
jimmy23
99 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WhirrunOfBligh - 
UGCTT_Jay Edz -

I LOVE Abercrombie, The Heroes is awesome - very dark, well written fantasy

6/28/12 12:11 PM
WhirrunOfBligh

UGCTT_Jay Edz -
WhirrunOfBligh -
UGCTT_Jay Edz -

I haven't read Heroes yet, the last I read was Best Served Cold. Was good but I need to read something a bit uplifting afterwards to balance it out. Phone Post
Best Served Cold is the weakest of his five books, I think. Definitely try The Heroes- far superior. Phone Post
6/28/12 12:17 PM
Lymond
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's so weird to me that I'm the only person who really disliked Abercrombie. Maybe I'll read him again in a few years.

The Curse of Chalion is a great standalone book. Couple others written in the same universe but only tangentially related.

Of those already mentioned, I think Erikson, Brust, Rothfuss, Butcher, and Pratchett are all great reads as well.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.