UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Good fantasy series (books)?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

4/10/14 6:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Blackguilt
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dogmadeth - Finished Words of Radiance today. Great read that I found difficult to put down. There are times where perspective jumps around a bit but I found it to be a motivator to keep going and not sleep. Character development is solid by the end. The Kaladin arc was bugging me a bit but when his climax for the book hit it all worked out.

Now a year plus wait for book 3? Fuuuuuuu.... Phone Post 3.0
I didn't care much for the parshendi pov Phone Post 3.0
4/14/14 9:58 AM
gotya
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

.. Phone Post 3.0
4/14/14 11:05 AM
YVEL MACHIDA
671 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Finished Way of Kings last night. What a fucking ride. I found it very refreshing after reading Asoiaf and First Law.. Not as gritty and dark.

The Blackthorne is top 3 in my favorite characters behind Logan Ninefingers and Jon Snow Phone Post 3.0
4/14/14 11:09 AM
MushroomHead
360 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

YVEL MACHIDA - Finished Way of Kings last night. What a fucking ride. I found it very refreshing after reading Asoiaf and First Law.. Not as gritty and dark.

The Blackthorne is top 3 in my favorite characters behind Logan Ninefingers and Jon Snow Phone Post 3.0
The King's Wit was a personal favorite of mine. Phone Post 3.0
4/17/14 10:05 PM
invalid
336 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Finished the latest Gentleman Bastards book tonight.  Have to say that I didn't really like it.  I really like the structure the author uses where every other chapter is a flashback interlude that somehow ties into the modern chapter to come.

The problem with the latest is that the flashback chapters are really long, really stale, and don't really go anywhere.  The plot of the book has a really good idea behind it that just fizzles out halfway through due to the flashback chapters.  

Still really like the characters and really hoping the next effort gets back on track

4/23/14 5:52 PM
Buster hymen
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Blood song!!!!!! Wow just finished first book very very good a must read!!!!! Phone Post 3.0
4/23/14 8:09 PM
Boondock
149 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Reading Way of Kings again before I start radiance. Between reading when I have time and an audiobook in the car/working around house, I'm flying through it as a refresher. Phone Post 3.0
4/23/14 8:44 PM
Orbit724
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sagiv Lapkin -  I'm gonna get flamed for this but......Sword of Truth series. I loved that shit.

Also Wheel of Time series. Great stuff. Phone Post 3.0
4/24/14 6:38 AM
UGCTT_Jay Edz
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Boondock - Reading Way of Kings again before I start radiance. Between reading when I have time and an audiobook in the car/working around house, I'm flying through it as a refresher. Phone Post 3.0
Yeah I think I'm going to read Way of Kings again before I start Radiance. Got a long ass trip from London to NC to Phoenix to Mexico coming up at the end of May so may just save Radiance until then!

I was thinking of doing a separate thread on WoT when I get a chance because I just finished and I'm eager to discuss. Phone Post 3.0
4/24/14 9:26 AM
Harlow's Rhesus
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think someone on here knows Pat Rothfuss.

Tell him to fuck himself, and then start writing. Immediately.
4/24/14 9:51 AM
eljamaiquino
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Passive Jay -
Passive Jay - 

Its kind of more sci fi than fantasy but has anyone read any of the Wild Card series?

No one?

That surprises me, the guy that writes game of thrones is the editor and a contributing author.
I have. I read about 10 of them back in the 90s. They feel like watchmen now, due to the 70s and 80s settings. Great characters though. Phone Post 3.0
4/24/14 9:57 AM
Jone2tone
131 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Came to make a joke about the bible, staying to go through the library of suggestions! Phone Post 3.0
4/24/14 10:03 AM
eljamaiquino
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wild cards: alien virus genetically alters a segment of humanity. My favorite characters were "the sleeper" & "captain trips". Captain trips develops different abilities with different recreational drugs. The sleeper gains a new body and abilities each time he wakes up. So when he gets a good power set, he uses caffeine and amphetamines to stay awake. Phone Post 3.0
4/24/14 10:10 AM
Einar
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd like to recommend Neil Gaimans Neverwhere and American Gods. Its "Low Fantasy" in other words, modern setting but with fantastical elements. Gaiman is mostly known for writeing Vertigo's Sandman graphic novel series.

Neverwhere mostly takes place in a hidden, underground world underneath London, referred to as London Below. A normal guy gets thrown into this world after unknowingly rescuing one of its inhabitants from a pair of assassins.

American gods follows an ex convict who, after being released from prison becomes a henchman for an ancient god.
4/24/14 11:20 AM
Lt. Iceman Kazansky
634 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Um, Tolkien?

GOT/ASOIAF is utter shit compared to the Tolkien novels.

4/24/14 11:25 AM
Passive Jay
2562 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

eljamaiquino - 
Passive Jay -
Passive Jay - 

Its kind of more sci fi than fantasy but has anyone read any of the Wild Card series?

No one?

That surprises me, the guy that writes game of thrones is the editor and a contributing author.
I have. I read about 10 of them back in the 90s. They feel like watchmen now, due to the 70s and 80s settings. Great characters though. Phone Post 3.0

They have new ones out set in more current times!
4/24/14 11:28 AM
YVEL MACHIDA
671 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lt. Iceman Kazansky -

Um, Tolkien?

Not really. Not going to get into this debate but there is room for both in the fantasy realm Phone Post 3.0
4/24/14 11:58 AM
MushroomHead
360 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Einar - I'd like to recommend Neil Gaimans Neverwhere and American Gods. Its "Low Fantasy" in other words, modern setting but with fantastical elements. Gaiman is mostly known for writeing Vertigo's Sandman graphic novel series.

Neverwhere mostly takes place in a hidden, underground world underneath London, referred to as London Below. A normal guy gets thrown into this world after unknowingly rescuing one of its inhabitants from a pair of assassins.

American gods follows an ex convict who, after being released from prison becomes a henchman for an ancient god.
I've been wanting to read American Gods. It sounds interesting.

Isn't it being made into an HBO or Showtime series? Phone Post 3.0
4/24/14 12:01 PM
MushroomHead

Lt. Iceman Kazansky -

Um, Tolkien?

I read and liked the Tolkien novels, but I enjoyed ASoIaF more. Calling it utter shit in comparison though is just retarded. Phone Post 3.0
4/24/14 12:07 PM
UGCTT_Jay Edz
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Harlow's Rhesus - I think someone on here knows Pat Rothfuss.

Tell him to fuck himself, and then start writing. Immediately.
1 Phone Post 3.0
4/24/14 12:17 PM
Lt. Iceman Kazansky
634 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

YVEL MACHIDA - 
Lt. Iceman Kazansky -

Um, Tolkien?

Not really. Not going to get into this debate but there is room for both in the fantasy realm Phone Post 3.0

Dude, I love ASOIAF and I've read every book in the series and I definitely love the tv show (fuck, at least half of all my threads are about GOT) but it's not even in the same realm as Tolkien's universe. LOTR may be the greatest literary achievement in the English language, ASOIAF is essentially a cyclical drama without an end, 

4/24/14 12:20 PM
Liyon
153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Einar - I'd like to recommend Neil Gaimans Neverwhere and American Gods. Its "Low Fantasy" in other words, modern setting but with fantastical elements. Gaiman is mostly known for writeing Vertigo's Sandman graphic novel series.

If you like "low fantasy" I'd recommend Clive Barker as well. I prefer him to Gaiman. Check out Weaveworld, The Great and Secret Show, and Imajica.
4/24/14 12:23 PM
Liyon
153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MushroomHead - 
MightyMorphinPowerReptilians - I really want to like the series and in a lot of ways I do. I really like the military focus in the fantasy setting, I like all the different POVs and the fact there are a lot of story lines going on, I like the fact it mixes godlike characters with more street level people, I think an army defecting against the Empire, Julius Caesar style is a really cool plot point, I like the Warren system, the involvement of the gods, I want to know more about the Malazan Empire. I know the ambiguity is what a lot of people like about it, as sometimes info dumps in fantasy are clumsily done, but it does leave the reader somewhat confused, I also find Erikson's writing style itself doesn't very clearly describe situations, and you often end up in situations saying "where the hell did that come from?" or "what exactly is happening here". I hear that later in the series the worldbuilding becomes a real strong point so I'm guessing a lot more things get explained later on, but for right now I find the vague nature of the world and especially Ericson's writing is holding me at an arm's distance and I can't invest in the world in the same way I did in something like ASOIAF (I might get flamed here). My main problem with a guy like Kalam is, to me, he reads exactly like a 1 dimensional D&D badass character, which is what Malazan started out as.

Anyway, I am going to do Memories of Ice and if it's still not clicking I will have to just move on I suppose. It's too bad, because like I said, there are things I really like about the series.
I always tell ppl, get through Memories of Ice, and if it doesnt click its not going to. Phone Post 3.0

Memories of Ice was so good, that I'm having a hard time getting through House of Chains.
4/24/14 1:31 PM
Einar
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MushroomHead - 
Einar - I'd like to recommend Neil Gaimans Neverwhere and American Gods. Its "Low Fantasy" in other words, modern setting but with fantastical elements. Gaiman is mostly known for writeing Vertigo's Sandman graphic novel series.

I've been wanting to read American Gods. It sounds interesting.

Isn't it being made into an HBO or Showtime series? Phone Post 3.0

There was talk about it for HBO yes, but another company has bought the rights. I wouldnt hold my breath. If it comes out, its not any time soon.
4/24/14 1:32 PM
Einar

Liyon - 
Einar - I'd like to recommend Neil Gaimans Neverwhere and American Gods. Its "Low Fantasy" in other words, modern setting but with fantastical elements. Gaiman is mostly known for writeing Vertigo's Sandman graphic novel series.

If you like "low fantasy" I'd recommend Clive Barker as well. I prefer him to Gaiman. Check out Weaveworld, The Great and Secret Show, and Imajica.

Oh yeah, I read Weaveworld years ago. I really liked it. Maybe time for a re-read.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.